Lockers or a Winch - need some advice!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Be patient with your decision. I favor the locker over the winch, but only because of my experience with open diffs. and being stuck. If you do not have something reasonable to pull to, a winch may not help. Lockers can make you feel practically unstoppable. Once again, be patient. I found a Detroit locker on e-bay, got a lock right for the front (cheap), and bought a used Warn 8274 from a friend. All for not much more than you are budgeting. Patience was the reason I found what I wanted. If I were to do it all again, the only thing I would change is getting power steering before the front locker. Now it appears I am trying to develop Popeye arms when wheeling in 4 wheel drive.
Good luck!
Chuck

Winch 1st. A locker will just let you get more stuck........then ya need a winch to get ya out

For a fj40 a Warn 8274 can't be beat IMOP, should be able to find a good used one for under $500. If ya find one that needs some work(maybe for $200) they are super simple to repair and worth spending a couple hundred to make as good as new. Or spring for a new one for $1k.

FWIW heres what I got

fj45, 1982 vintage Warn 8274(came off the 82 fj40)
fj40, 1 year old Warn 8274-50
fj60 few year old(2.5hp) Warn M10000
fj80 few year old(4.6hp)Warn M12000

each of the above Cruisers also has at least one ARB locker

John H

I'm in the locker camp on this one, as was said before, you are probably not going to get into winch territory without locker.

Just got my Aussie locker, will install on the weekend. Axlechassis, any tricks or tips I should know about for the install?

I'm actually making the same choice.
As far as lockers, I have made my mind that I'm not going to do anything but the best for a DD/trail rig, an ARB.
As far as a winch, I would LOVE a Toyota PTO, if thats not possible, I would either try to find the cheapest winch used to get the job done, or go all out on either a 8274 (last forever + very fast), or go to a MM hydraulic. A guy in my club has one, need to talk to him about it.
I've read professional 3rd party reviews with temperature readings of the PS pump while operating a MM winch, and the pumps read cooler operating the winch under load than they do turning PS gearboxes. MM knows their shiznit when it comes to hydraulics, the Military uses their hydraulic winches.
So if I can find a cheap winch, I'll do that and then the ARB (at least rear).
If I can't, I'll go ARB first and winch later. Every single time i have ever been stuck a locker or two would have gotten me out.
I've got a HiLift and come along to handle light self recovery along the way. So I'm not too concerned about owning a winch.

My vote goes to the locker. Just ask guys who have both a switchable locker (one of the factory lockers or ARB) and a winch how many times they've had to switch their locker on and how many times they've had used the winch this summer.

Dave

O.K. - I found a brand new, never out of the box Warn 8274-50 Winch within driving distance from me for $800.00 tax free. Is that a pretty good deal or would you hold out for a better deal?

[quote author=FJAfrica link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg36876#msg36876 date=1062444481]
I'm in the locker camp on this one, as was said before, you are probably not going to get into winch territory without locker.

Just got my Aussie locker, will install on the weekend. Axlechassis, any tricks or tips I should know about for the install?
[/quote]
Just follow the instructions you dont really need to remove the rear tyres and wheels just raise the rear. I had some confussion regarding the terminology they use, describing the c-clips and thrust washers interchangeably.
You will reuse the original thrust washers.
When you assemble and slide the locker in pay close attention to the directions and make sure the slot is showing so you can slide the c-clip in. I had help from a buddy who had installed a lockrite in his. The only difference between the aussie and the lockrite is the little springs that put tension on the whole set up. Also do the final measurement at the end. this will help you determine that it's installed right.

[quote author=78crzr link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg36950#msg36950 date=1062475355]
O.K. - I found a brand new, never out of the box Warn 8274-50 Winch within driving distance from me for $800.00 tax free. Is that a pretty good deal or would you hold out for a better deal?
[/quote]

great price, best your gonna find I'm sure, grab it.

BTW the back in the late 1970's a Warn 8274 cost $500, a Cruiser was $8000, thats ALOT for a winch!

Lots of opinions here.....some you may like...hehehe

IMO, a fast winch is for more than competitors. Nothing more irritating than a slow winch and you overdriving the line speed while helping it. My 8274-50 pulls way faster than my rig drives, and that keeps the line tight. And regardless what anyone thinks, you need some wheel power going when winching over large obstacles. I've watched the Milemarker electrics, Superwinches, and a bunch of others in action...most are near useless for line speed. When my junk is laying on it's side and I need a pull over, I want it done fast. And yes, I've winched myself on my wheels before too!! IMO, if they don't say HighSpeed, don't buy it. And, based on today's offerings, I'll "never" own a winch other than a Warn...

Locker versus winch.....tuff call, but I'd do a winch first. Locker only means you are stuck further up the trail. $800 for the new 8274-50 and $200 for an aussielocker is a good combo. Also, you could weld the rear later and switch the locker to front use...this is effectively what I run with no complaints. (not for daily drivers tho......lol) Also, the option is there to go with a full Detroit in the rear later and switch an aussielocker or lockrite or ez-lock up front.

As for not getting into "winch territory" all you need is a sudden rain storm and that easy-peasy trail you drove in on could turn to a slip and slide. If your tires fill with gumbo and turn to racing slicks all the posi-traction in the world may not get you out. But a winch will. :)

been there, had that...rain combined with warmer weather softening a frost-hardened road....4 trucks took about 30 minutes to get in, and 6 hours to get out. Two of us had winches...tires ranged from 33x12.0 BFG-MT (me) to 34x9.5 Swampers to 35x15.5 boggers to 38x16 Cepeks. Two little guys had winches and spent most of our afternoon creatively winching ourselves and our accomplices thru...tried them in front, watched them sink, snatched them thru, winched outselves thru, winched around them, then hooked on and kept pulling.

Both of us ran 8274's...Tiny's CJ7 had a a "relatively" new one, like an early 90's model...mine was the 1974 Bellevue with manual controls. Both winches performed flawlessly. The two rigs we drug thru were a FS 90-ish Bronco and a FS Blazer, both with full lockers and warmed motors.

Just got the latest 4 wheel drive and off road mag and they are showing a Mile marker 9000lbs winch that they rated at good as the W 9000 for under $500, Thats leaves money for the ausie locker.

I plan on the same winch and using the aussie locker money to build a front bumper/brush guard to hold the winch. Future plans of course.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg37153#msg37153 date=1062522929]
If I had an 8274 for that price near me, I would probably buy it. Damn good price.
[/quote]
yea me too they are $1200.00 in the stores in Anchorage.
I think a new cruiser is well over $40,000.00

[quote author=phlyfish link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg37328#msg37328 date=1062549260]
Just got the latest 4 wheel drive and off road mag and they are showing a Mile marker 9000lbs winch that they rated at good as the W 9000 for under $500, Thats leaves money for the ausie locker.
[/quote]

A highlift jack is faster than the milemarker electric....they are nice for the occasional wheeler who needs it for an emergency situation, but for someone (like me) who relies on their winch every trip, it's too pathetically slow.

[quote author=phlyfish link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg37328#msg37328 date=1062549260]
[/quote]

I believe the MM 9000 is made in China, they also have a 12k for not much more. for $500 I would look hard for a used 8274, if I couldn't find one I would get the Warn m8000 for $500 before a made in China MM........but thats just me

[quote author=axlechassis link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg37383#msg37383 date=1062560028]
yea me too they are $1200.00 in the stores in Anchorage.
I think a new cruiser is well over $40,000.00
[/quote]

more like 50k+

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg37474#msg37474 date=1062596060]
more like 50k+
[/quote]

We've got Three of them out front right now. One is $62,386.00 the other two are $62,515.00 each. (factory monroni, no fluf) :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom