LJ78 - Penticton Toyota Lighting Mods 4 Safety Compliance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed that Penticton Toyota has done some sort of BC Safety Compliance modification to their fleet of LJ78's (and LJ71) so in hopes of helping those LJ78 owning Mofo's out there I took my camera with me to get a few shots for all you guys. Their mods involve added front and rear side markers and some radical grafted turn signal lights (you can see the chauking at the merge site in the pics). Note for the turn signal lights that the inards of the lights were also replaced as you can see the new bulb in last pic. Nothing was done to the clear corners or the tail light cluster. Pretty nice job all in all...don't think I would have noticed the modified turn signals if I wasn't so consumed with DOT stamped lighting these days!

I haven't talked to anyone there about the extent of these mods satisfying inspection requirements (ie. tail lights still no DOT stamp) so I don't know if they were done in consultation with anyone at MOT/CVSE or not.

Anyway heres the pics:

LJ71_RearMarker.jpg

LJ78_FrontMarker.jpg

LJ78_TurnSig1.jpg

LJ78_TurnSig2.jpg

LJ78_TurnSig3.jpg

LJ78_TurnSig4.jpg

Well hope that helps someone. :) It at least gives me hope that I can just do some similar grafting on my Liteace truck if the need arises. Why no mods to the tail light cluster and clear corners has me confused as I would think that these LJ78's would still fail inspection because of those.

interesting point, i contacted the inspection super here in Alberta, (can't remember his name) and euro spec lights are accepted here so after seeing the pics i went out to chack and the front lights are Euro spec...
had me worried there for a sec...
rear signals are not marked at all...

Hmm...interesting. I wonder if that front amber turn signal lens with the grafted DOT/SAE compliant lens is going to be a sticky point? Someone may argue that the grafted unit is not a complete manufactured unit since it's a product of an OEM housing and lens with a grafted lens from an aftermarket manufacturer. Just thinking out loud here...

If I had an LJ, I think I would use the existing front turn lenses and rear tail light pods as templates for a metal plate that fits exactly in those spots and painted to match body colour. I would then install DOT/SAE compliant LED pods that are widely available and inexpensive to function as the lights they replaced. If there's an argument from an inspection officer, I would point out the numerous trailers and custom flat decks rolling around with these exact same lights on them, and they have no compliance problems. A little more work, but that's the approach I'd take.

i agree, if you are going to amount of work then go with a sheet metal mod and or do an auxilary light either in the whole or cut into the bumper (if you can not get one to fit.
as for the clearence lights the manual says "light OR reflector"

got to give them credit, at least they are trying...

Wayne, you mention Euro spec lights. My front orange turn signals on my LJ71 have no DOT/SAE markings. Do these also have to be marked ?. I have a E13 within a circle on the lens. Does that mean they are Euro spec. ?

Thanks

peter

108Cruz said:
Wayne, you mention Euro spec lights. My front orange turn signals on my LJ71 have no DOT/SAE markings. Do these also have to be marked ?. I have a E13 within a circle on the lens. Does that mean they are Euro spec. ?

Thanks

peter

Yes, the E in the circle is the EU code.

A couple of more questions.

Are the side amber marker lights a requirement . Are these screwed on or glued on and are they suppose to light up ?, can't tell from the pic's.

Thanks.

The side markers are just reflectors. No idea if they were screwed or glued. There is two screws visible but they might just be for securing the lens.

FYI, but I believe that the rear reflectors must be red and the fwd reflectors yellow or amber. This was posted by a RCMP officer on another forum. It looks like the ones on the LJ78 are amber front and back which is apparently incorrect as per the Regs.

Grant

LJ78 lighting

I'm getting confused!! Here on Van Isl I have seen some of these vehicles that have been sold off a lot (supposedly all legal) with no more than side reflectors, headlights and under the back bumper DOT running/turn/brake lights added. It would seem that depending on the inspection facility you choose the requirements will differ.
Am wondering what to do with my Prado. Have done the mods as described and will have my inspection tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.
The overlayed lens on the front turn signal looks sketchy.
Is there any hope that BC will accept the "E" standard???

Keith
90 Hilux Surf
91 EX-5 Prado

IF I had to deal with getting compliant lights on a JDM truck here in Canada, this is how I would do it.

I would get rid of the ghey rear bumper and have a custom one made up that would take some cheap Canadian Tire DOT/SAE lights and wire them in to the existing lights. Leaving the existing lights on the truck, of course. Same with the front regarding DRL. One could even have the side marker lights built in. If you wreck them while on the trail you still have your existing lights to get you to your nearest Canadian Tire.

Just a thought. Good luck.

:) Well... My inspection went without a hitch. Did nothing to the front signal lenses. Just added the day time headlight module from Crappy Tire, the side reflectors and some stop/turn/running lights under the back bumper. The front corner markers were not mentioned either. Don't like the added lights under the bumper. They are sure to get smashed sooner or later.
A friend told me that BC will be accepting the "E" standard soon and all this may be for not.
Does anyone know where to get the LJ78 air filter for a reasonable price? Just got one from Toyota for $50 + tax !!!:doh:

Cruise on
Keith

91 Prado EX5 LJ78
90 Surf LN130

:whoops: Wayne, I stand corrected. Had a closer look and see there is no "E" marking on my LJ78 taillights. Keep me on the list.

Where's the best place to get a Pyrometer or EGT sys? Sounds like a worth while investment with the 2L-T.

Thanks

Keith
91 Prado EX5 LJ78

Prado Lenses

IDEA OF THE DAY........All that the shops doing the inspections know is that the lenses have to be marked either DOT or SAE. If you take the lenses to anyone with a laser engraver, for cheap, cheap, cheap they will replicate the font and it will pass with flying colors. No questions asked because it is marked with what they want to see. The laser engraver even works on glass or metal. It is a wonderful invention for situations such as this political crap that B.C. is throwing at JDM owners. Forget the glue on idea, this is clean and keeps your unit pretty looking. Long live the resistance!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom