LJ78 Re-cored radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. My radiator here in Nepal has finally bit the dust. They do not do re-cores here, and the one I have has been patched up 1 too many times. I am lookin for some advice and recommendations of where to get one. I have someone coming to visit us in about 3 weeks, so the timing may be perfect to purchase it, have it sent to Alabama, and then brought over to Nepal by our guest. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, I am seeing the aluminum radiator thread and a ton of good info. That may be the best route. I am looking for MT RH. Is there a eBay seller that folks have had the best results with? Thanks in advance!

Here’s the crew

IMG_1943.jpeg

hello Jhinn....good looking crew!

just checking to see if you had any luck with alu rads? I just identified a leak on mine and am looking at options since I cannot find an OEM one for my 78 series 1KZ-TE. have you heard or seen anyone with a electric fan setup?

I put a cheap Chinese aluminum radiator in my LJ78 this winter, so far so good but I’ve only got a couple thousand miles on it.

I would recommend against an electric fan conversion, they’re a downgrade in most respects from a properly set up mechanical fan. If you feel like your fan isn’t doing it’s job look into either replacing the fan clutch fluid or upgrading the clutch.

Last edited:
I put a cheap Chinese aluminum radiator in my LJ78 this winter, so far so good but I’ve only got a couple thousand miles on it.

I would recommend against an electric fan conversion, they’re a downgrade in most respects from a properly set up mechanical fan. If you feel like your fan isn’t going it’s job look into either replacing the fan clutch fluid or upgrading the clutch.
Thanks Airhead! Do you have the link to the rad you got? I see a lot on ebay, but they don't have holes for mounting. Not hard to drill my own, but I would rather it fit right in so I don't throw off alignment with the fan and housing if my eyes are working correctly at the time. I'm not having heating issues, but since I have to replace my rad, i was wanting to upgrade. I saw some posts about a blue fan clutch, but don't know if that works with the 78 series 1KZ-TE...

This is the radiator I went with: MT Radiator For Toyota Land Cruiser LJ70/LJ71/LJ73/LJ77/LJ78 2LTE 2.4TD Manual | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/394591602292 It has mounting holes for the radiator and the fan shroud, in my case I had to modify the radiator mount since I used it in a non-stock application. I also used M8 rivnuts to mount the fan shroud, much easier than trying to get nuts on the backside of the flange. There is no radiator cap on this model, as the stock LJ78 setup has the fill cap on the thermostat housing. I don't know if fitment would be the same with a KZJ78, mine is the manual transmission version so it doesn't have the built in transmission cooler.
IMG_5695.jpeg

Mines an AT. I could add a separate cooler, but would rather not and just hook up the lines to the rad. I found a couple on ebay that work for a 1KZ-TE AT and look like the holes line up except for one of the AT lines, but I think I can just get a longer hose if it doesn't reach. Biggest thing I just want is the bracket holes to line up. I'll look at ordering the one I think will work hopefully today and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!!

This is the radiator I went with: MT Radiator For Toyota Land Cruiser LJ70/LJ71/LJ73/LJ77/LJ78 2LTE 2.4TD Manual | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/394591602292 It has mounting holes for the radiator and the fan shroud, in my case I had to modify the radiator mount since I used it in a non-stock application. I also used M8 rivnuts to mount the fan shroud, much easier than trying to get nuts on the backside of the flange. There is no radiator cap on this model, as the stock LJ78 setup has the fill cap on the thermostat housing. I don't know if fitment would be the same with a KZJ78, mine is the manual transmission version so it doesn't have the built in transmission cooler.
View attachment 3590075
Thanks @AirheadNut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom