FAQ LJ78 Brake Parts Cross Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 1991 LJ78 has rear drums. Any details on wheel cylinders? I thought it was the same as a 60 series. Thank you

Probably more like pre 95 truck/4Runner

I looked up the LJ77 part number here: 1990 - 1993 Toyota LAND CRUISER LJ77 OEM Parts | Europe sales region, , 925683 - https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/land-cruiser-38286/lj77-55784/lj77lv-mnxw-925683

Used this to cross it: ToyoDIY.com - https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref

Note, follow that ^^ procedure for ANY part you want to cross!

Also, note it DOESN'T cross to the same year 4Runner, but 3rd gen models only. But also 1st gen Tundra, and SAME as all the HD 70 series Landcruisers from 1990 on!

Interesting they are still using these brakes on modern VDJ76 even!! I always chuckle when people compare the LJ7x to Hilux when it shares far more with HD cruisers.

Here is what I see for a cross:

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
I know this thread gets referenced a lot for the KZJ78s as well because they are similar to LJ78s, so I figured it might be a good time to share some findings.

I can confirm that the consumables IE brake pads and rotors front and rear do cross over to from the list mentioned at the beginning. That is great news because consumables are available in the US. Case in point, it helps when you actually order the right part, which caused me to learn @sleeoffroad carries DBA rotors for the back axle of these trucks and offers a will call option if you live near by. A great feature if you ask me!

Onto the calipers. Currently, I am running original calipers because some extra parts are needed to run V6 4Runner front and 80 series rear calipers.

Fronts
The V6 4Runner calipers do bolt up, but the caliper pins from the KZJ78 are not long enough. I suspect if new pins for a V6 4Runner were fitted this would work. It should also be mentioned that it is a snug fit.

Rears
80 Series calipers do bolt up. However, I ran into a banjo bolt issue. I don't remember which part was too big to fit the other. I think just ordering new banjo bolts for the 80 series calipers might fix this. Also rear 80 soft brake lines might also be needed.

The original calipers didn't need to be rebuilt or replaced so I am running them as is, but I will start the process of gathering parts to see if those calipers can be fitted.

Lastly, fresh consumables and a brake flush goes far on the drivability of a KZJ78 in my experience.

I know this thread gets referenced a lot for the KZJ78s as well because they are similar to LJ78s, so I figured it might be a good time to share some findings.

I can confirm that the consumables IE brake pads and rotors front and rear do cross over to from the list mentioned at the beginning. That is great news because consumables are available in the US. Case in point, it helps when you actually order the right part, which caused me to learn @sleeoffroad carries DBA rotors for the back axle of these trucks and offers a will call option if you live near by. A great feature if you ask me!

Onto the calipers. Currently, I am running original calipers because some extra parts are needed to run V6 4Runner front and 80 series rear calipers.

Fronts
The V6 4Runner calipers do bolt up, but the caliper pins from the KZJ78 are not long enough. I suspect if new pins for a V6 4Runner were fitted this would work. It should also be mentioned that it is a snug fit.

Rears
80 Series calipers do bolt up. However, I ran into a banjo bolt issue. I don't remember which part was too big to fit the other. I think just ordering new banjo bolts for the 80 series calipers might fix this. Also rear 80 soft brake lines might also be needed.

The original calipers didn't need to be rebuilt or replaced so I am running them as is, but I will start the process of gathering parts to see if those calipers can be fitted.

Lastly, fresh consumables and a brake flush goes far on the drivability of a KZJ78 in my experience.
@Bad Mojo thank you for sharing. Helpful for those KZJ78 owners looking to do a brakes/pads rebuild.

Please do let us know what exact calipers fit to the original kzj78 pins, and if they do not, which new pins do fit to match the V6 4Runner and 80 series calipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom