Like to go way out there? Trust your GPS? Read this... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do microwave for a living and spend lots of time on mountain tops with communication sites and my Garmin has never died on me, Cheers, Larry

e9999 said:
thanks for the advice on backup. Particularly easy on this one since it doesn't have provisions for a PC connection... :rolleyes:
:doh: how do you use it? If you can't interface to a PC a GPS is fairly well crippled. You might want to consider upgrading if really care about the waypoints you collect, you can then easily share/exchange waypoints with others. A newer model will also allow you to upgrade your maps. I've heard that things change and maps need occasional updates to be usefull. ;)

I have an Old Lowrance LCX-15mt. I use it in the boat as well as the cruiser has worked pretty good. Though I went on a trip a 1000 miles and loaded only the maps for it and then forgot to reload the maps for tellico when I went on that trip. Kind of funny seeing your postion move from a road to nothing . The main reason I use it though is the speedo, time and as a reference for finding new trails the software I have is a topo version.

I've held off the purchase of a GPS receiver for years.
I've never driven anywhere that I couldn't find my out of, and never REALLY needed to know where I was (in my automobile) to that degree of precision.

I've spent a lot of time running around the hinterlands on foot and on ski, and I've developed pretty good map and compass skills. More than anything, I think the ability to read topography and topographic maps will get you through most terrain--except for terrain without topography!
I recognize the utility of a GPS receiver, however. I've been waiting for one to appear on a wrist watch. To me, the "maps" on GPS receiver screens don't seem that useful for cross country travel. All I would want in the backcountry (on foot at least) are some UTM coordinates and an old fashioned map--you could easily fit grid coordinates on a wrist watch (I guess the batteries, and maybe antenna, would be the challenge).

However, I CAN see the utility in having a full size digital map GPS receiver for mechanized travel--if you really "get out there" enough to need it. It also seems like it would be useful when navigating the mazes of "roads" and tracks that never quite make it onto maps, or have appeared since the map was printed.

Just rambling now.
How and when do you folks typically use your GPS units?

Hayes

Hayes said:
I've held off the purchase of a GPS receiver for years.
I've never driven anywhere that I couldn't find my out of, and never REALLY needed to know where I was (in my automobile) to that degree of precision.

I've spent a lot of time running around the hinterlands on foot and on ski, and I've developed pretty good map and compass skills. More than anything, I think the ability to read topography and topographic maps will get you through most terrain--except for terrain without topography!
I recognize the utility of a GPS receiver, however. I've been waiting for one to appear on a wrist watch. To me, the "maps" on GPS receiver screens don't seem that useful for cross country travel. All I would want in the backcountry (on foot at least) are some UTM coordinates and an old fashioned map--you could easily fit grid coordinates on a wrist watch (I guess the batteries, and maybe antenna, would be the challenge).

However, I CAN see the utility in having a full size digital map GPS receiver for mechanized travel--if you really "get out there" enough to need it. It also seems like it would be useful when navigating the mazes of "roads" and tracks that never quite make it onto maps, or have appeared since the map was printed.

Just rambling now.
How and when do you folks typically use your GPS units?

Hayes

I use mine to navigate the maze of mining roads found in this state, I could get there without it but it makes life easier.

I geocache, a good way to learn the use of a GPS and waypoints.

I use it when we travel to find POI (points of interest) which includes things like rest areas, freeway exits, Dennys, etc.

I use it to store tracks from off road trips.

I almost never use it when I hike, I'm not sure why.

I found my group out in the desert w/ the gps and paper map at night and I don't really know how to use my gps very well. What I relied on was the gps cordinates - it was very accurate and not something you can do with paper maps.

Never had it fail on me or anything. It's slow on refreshing the screen but for the $ I have no complaints. It's also handy in the city to find various stores/addresses- tho I dont often need it for that. I would probably use it more in the city but I am worried about theft if I leave it out all the time.

I have a Garmin Quest tho I would like to upgrade to a fancier Garmin w/ larger screen & faster refresh at a later time.

I'm using Garmin's 2730. This thing is just awesome. It has all the US roads, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, gas stations, etc. You can also download Garmin's topo maps to it.

Plus it also has XM service. Radio, weather and traffic. If there a traffic incident on your route, the GPS will warn you and reroute you.

Regards

Alvaro

FirstToy said:
I found my group out in the desert w/ the gps and paper map at night and I don't really know how to use my gps very well. What I relied on was the gps cordinates - it was very accurate and not something you can do with paper maps.

Never had it fail on me or anything. It's slow on refreshing the screen but for the $ I have no complaints. It's also handy in the city to find various stores/addresses- tho I dont often need it for that. I would probably use it more in the city but I am worried about theft if I leave it out all the time.

I have a Garmin Quest tho I would like to upgrade to a fancier Garmin w/ larger screen & faster refresh at a later time.
We did that camping with my sister. We found a spot, drove out to cell service called them with the coordinates. They drove right to us, and we didn't have to tack a single paper plate to a tree :grinpimp:

the GPS concept is great IMO. Especially the track log and the absolute coordinates.

I did call Magellan. Was on hold for 30 mins and then the barely-speaking-english peon told me I could send it in for repair for a flat fee (75% of the cost of the unit). I may just forego Magellan forever... :mad: May just return it to Costco (praise the Lord for their return policy!) and let Magellan find a use for it! Maybe get a better unit. Actually liked it a lot, except for this glitch...

e9999 said:
the GPS concept is great IMO. Especially the track log and the absolute coordinates.

I did call Magellan. Was on hold for 30 mins and then the barely-speaking-english peon told me I could send it in for repair for a flat fee (75% of the cost of the unit). I may just forego Magellan forever... :mad: May just return it to Costco (praise the Lord for their return policy!) and let Magellan find a use for it! Maybe get a better unit. Actually liked it a lot, except for this glitch...
FWIT I've been very happy with my Magellan Meridian.

I've got one of the cheap 90 dollar special Garmins and have had it in 6 different countries and have never had a problem with it. Granted it does not have any maps on it but I grew up the old fashioned way where if i had a map and compass I was good to go, even in the desert. I will say though they are handy when you need to call in fire real fast from some fast movers and do not have time to plot your grid, because you are trying to dig a hole in the sand, and shoot the enemy and call for fire, and make sure your guys are all aliveall at the same time.

Also the reason the military shut off the one program years ago is that we are all using the civilian models overseas right now. They come on faster and are more acurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom