lift/soa questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailaddict.com
I'm getting close to purchasing an FJ40, so I've been doing a lot of reading lately.

I've got a few questions about lifting FJ40s. The general consensus seems to be that (for trail use), a spring over conversion is the best lift option. The Skyjacker kit seems to be the best non-soa lift. My questions deal mainly with tire clearance with these lifts.

From what I've read, a 4" Skyjacker lift will clear 33s for sure. Some say it will also clear 35s, some say it won't. Aside from trimming the rear fender, will the 4" Skyjacker lift clear 35s (under flex on the trail)?

Eventually, I'd like to build the rig up to where I can run 38s. I don't think a soa with stock springs will clear 38s, will it? In all my reading, I've never heard of anyone doing a soa with skyjacker leafs. Why wouldn't I want to do an soa with 2.5" skyjackers? Is there a better way to gain the clearance after the soa conversion?

Thanks for the info.

to tell you the truth your spring over ? is a loaded one .... but i think the sky jackers SOA would work work well that said if i were doing a SOA on a 40 not many stock parts would be used 60 axle and rear springs high steer super cut body .. and what not ....

Skyjacker with 35" tires works, but it does rub.

SOA with stock springs works with 38.5's, but it also rubs.

IMO, the limits of your suspension SHOULD be the sheet metal...I don't even run rear bumpstops and have long accepted the fender rub all around with the big tires.

If you don't like the rub, adjust your bumpstops accordingly. Remember also, the RTI doesn't max your suspension, only a berm-type situation will do that.

2.5" lift springs also work well for SOA and larger tires, but you might end up wishing for 42's and not 38.5's...

Cut the rear fenders and 36's clear a 4" SUA. Cut the rear fenders and 38's will clear on a SOA with stock springs. 42's clear a stock spring SOA for that matter. It's all about what you trim and where your bump stops are. Up travel isn't as important as droop for an SOA.

Lift springs on a SOA can be done, but you're way tall at that point, and one can argue that the lift springs won't flex as well as the stockers.

Ok, so it's not that SOA and lift springs can't be done, but rather it's generally overkill? If necessary, it would make more sense to add a 1" BL rather than use lift springs with SOA if clearance was the issue.

Thanks guys.

The 1" BL idea is nice also since it gives you the opportunity to push your driveline higher above the frame. Every little bit helps.

IIRC, mine has about a 1/2" BL in it....

I did the Skyjacker lift and HATED IT. I pulled it out and did the leaf over. The skyjacker was like riding around on the bump stops.........and articulation sucks!! I have 35's on mine now and I know I could put 38's or 39's on it. It rides like a Cadalac. You might spend some extra doe on steering components and welding, but its well worth it.

[quote author=SPRDAV link=board=1;threadid=5321;start=msg41866#msg41866 date=1063754637]
I did the Skyjacker lift and HATED IT. I pulled it out and did the leaf over. The skyjacker was like riding around on the bump stops.........and articulation sucks!! I have 35's on mine now and I know I could put 38's or 39's on it. It rides like a Cadalac. You might spend some extra doe on steering components and welding, but its well worth it.
[/quote]

I'm guessing you're sprung over?

[quote author=SPRDAV link=board=1;threadid=5321;start=msg41866#msg41866 date=1063754637]
[/quote]
Was it the 2.5" lift? Was it used? Mines def not riding on bumpstops, and flexs pretty darn well for an SUA lift.....

SOA definately will out flex the lift kit. Mine is SOA with 35s on stock springs and the flex is astounding. Great ride too. Stock sheet metal (untrimmed) seldom ever touches. I'm going to go to 38s and trim a little. I'm thinking about pushing the axles out with spring flip. I don't think I would go any higher though so taller springs are out for me.

i agree with hammerhead stock springs work great especally with soa i run 35 and dont rub at all and i think 38,s will not rub

I also took out the short spring at the bottom......that is the shizl!!! The lift springs will never touch the capablities of a SOA. Trust me go with the SOA.

How much did you all pay for your SOA?

I started off with modified lifted springs (springs removed for flex) and extended shackles with trimming to clear 35s. I am now going with lifted 60 series springs (better length and center pin placement) and 60 axles (wider) on my BJ40/42 with a SR and SOA :D

The spring lift was cheap and easy and OK with the 35s. The SOA is getting $$$$$ but I hope it is going to be WOW when it is done.

My FJ40 is also getting a down and dirty SOA on stock 60 springs that should be better $$$ wise.

Brad

[quote author=ProLax13 link=board=1;threadid=5321;start=msg42782#msg42782 date=1063940218]
[/quote]

well, I did 95% of the work myself....I've got maybe $1000 or so in parts in mine...including histeer, cut/turn axle, shocks, mounts, driveshaft, brake lines, etc.

[quote author=ProLax13 link=board=1;threadid=5321;start=msg42782#msg42782 date=1063940218]
[/quote]I pulled it off for less than $200. Done 100% myself. That's not a fair price estimate though. I am a welder/fabricator with my own shop and a boneyard to pick through. I fiddle with my cruiser whenever I don't have cash paying customers. I did my SOA and love it. Better articulation than any of my buddies with lift springs. I am going to do cut and turn next and wish I had done it right and done it the first time. At the moment I am doing high steer with tie rod behind the axle. Tired of bending the tierod. I do my own drivelines. I made my spring perches. My shocks were good used boneyard beauties. Lines too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom