Lift Kit Questions RE: Military Wrap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have an opinion on Dobinson’s? The ‘3/76 I inherited from my brother had stock ride height and I would like to keep it that way, running 31” tires. Alcan makes a stock ride height set of leafs for the 40, but now seem to be hearing mixed things about them. The Dobinsons are a 45mm lift so that is like a 1.75” lift. I believe they will also work fine with stock shackles? Anyone have experience with them? Looking for stock ride height but I guess 1.75 lift would be ok. Maybe @DSRTRDR Claudia will chime in on this. Thanks everyone. Tom

I would stay away from Alcans - most people say they are too short - I have no personal experience beyond seeing pictures from several guys here on MUD with frustrating experiences (because even though the springs didn't fit properly, Alcan claimed the springs were custom-made and therefore couldn't be returned)

but what I do have experience with is the following: all leaf springs will eventually sag - which means the lift they can provide will become lower. So why not start out with a decent lift, so that when the springs settle, you can accommodate your tires comfortably - in my estimation, a 2" lift will be almost close to flat in a few years

when I was looking at new springs several years ago, the Man-a-Fre Mohave springs had not been released to market yet, but were touted to be providing a really smooth ride - so if they are available, I would get those now - (BTW, if I remember correctly, Dave Gore was involved in the development of these, and in my 15 years of experience with his stuff: it just plain works and never breaks)

my truck had Skyjacker 4" lift springs on it when I got it, sagged down to more like 2.5" in actuality - Skyjackers are purported to be relatively stiff, but when combined with fresh bushings, I found the ride of my truck quite smooth - and when I broke a leaf and had to get a new set, I went with Skyjacker 4" again - (like I said, the Man-a-Fre Mohave springs weren't available yet at the time or I would have gotten those) - and I wouldn't hesitate to get 4" Skyjackers again these days

simple reason: availability, and the fit with the bushings Skyjacker provides for them as well; you can have all Skyjacker products shipped to any 4 Wheel Parts (and if you so wanted, have them installed there) - and although I have absolutely no use for the religious pamphlets Skyjacker includes in all of their shipments, it felt good to me to support a local business in a state I live in (Skyjacker is located in northern Louisiana) - just as I would have felt good to buy the Mohave springs (and support 4Plus=Dave Gore in Arizona)

Last edited:
I wound up going the OME route - For what it’s worth I’d argue that even my OME springs are too short. The claim is that this is by design and why they make anti inversion shackles mandatory.

We will see how they sag out but right now my front shackles are essentially vertical. Aside from that, they ride nice, did well offroad, so the shackle angle isn’t a huge detriment...it’s just counter to any understanding I have of shackle angles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom