SOLD LHD BJ75 Troopy--Sale Pending (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because I've had several people contact me about "where did you get your Troopy?" and "Can you get one for me?", I decided to bring in another one and try to sell it. This one's a left hand drive model from Europe, BJ75, so has the 3B motor + H55 transmission, a little over 150k miles on it. Condition per photos. Does have some rust in a couple places, but replacement panels are readily available. The front seats are not original, but present fairly well. Rear interior is completely empty. It's currently located near Fresno CA. Asking $22,000 for it with Colorado Title in my name, less if the buyer wants to deal with the paperwork themselves. I have all the necessary documentation from the import process and will provide it to the buyer. Please check with your local motor vehicle registration department as not all states have the same requirements. Many more photos available, but I have a really slow connection here so they're taking forever to load. PM if you're interested. Happy to answer any questions, and/or arrange viewing.

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

I hate to add to the chit chat in here, but I"m honestly surprised this hasn't sold at this price.

A LHD diesel troopy in fairly good shape for a good price. There are very few cruisers out there 30yrs old plus without rust. The amount of LHD diesel troopys with minimal rust is even less...The amount of minimal rust LHD diesel troopys IMPORTED TO THE US around this price range is well...;) Not sure what the holdup with people is on this.

most mudders are looking for a rust free LHD troopy, 1HDFT swap, cable locking diffs, lift 25,000km, ARB bumpers and full expedition kit decked out with matching tent trailer for around $14,875.63 delivered. :D...but only after you can prove there isn't any rust under the 4th floor rib 7" in from middle body mount. :D

good luck with the sale, the right buyer will come soon.

Fair enough, man, if you say you weren't "pooing" in my thread, I'll take your word for it.

Me neither. For pretty much the same reasons. I do have a workaround for anyone who seriously wants to get a 70-series--SWB, MWB, Troopy, or Pickup--but only serious buyers need inquire.

Lol in their own opinion they are all "serious buyers" even the biggest tire kickers that are "actively" looking for years now for the "right Cruiser" think they are a serious buyer......this is why I only import the Cruisers and parts that I personaly like , if they don't sell I keep em ;)

Perhaps unnecessarily, I feel the need to defend my Mud honor here...

I may appear to be one of the people to which @lazylfarm and @joekatana, among others, are referring, thinking of myself as a serious buyer but in reality only being a big tire kicker. Whether they're referring to me or not I surely cannot say. What I can say is that having made a mistake on my first cruiser by being an idiot buyer and considering the money required to do the type of build I want to do, I'm not making a decision with my heart but rather with my head this go 'round.

Taking flights to look at trucks, making several local visits to examine others and having body shops evaluate a rig prior to purchase to me is due diligence. If I end up passing on this rig and/or others there may be nothing I can do to avoid being branded as a big tire kicker who wants a perfect truck for $12. Oh well.

Another bump for you, @gilmorneau :)

I'll be in touch.

I may appear to be one of the people to which @lazylfarm and @joekatana, among others, are referring, thinking of myself as a serious buyer but in reality only being a big tire kicker. Whether they're referring to me or not I surely cannot say. What I can say is that having made a mistake on my first cruiser by being an idiot buyer and considering the money required to do the type of build I want to do, I'm not making a decision with my heart but rather with my head this go 'round.

Taking flights to look at trucks, making several local visits to examine others and having body shops evaluate a rig prior to purchase to me is due diligence. If I end up passing on this rig and/or others there may be nothing I can do to avoid being branded as a big tire kicker who wants a perfect truck for $12. Oh well.

I'll be in touch.

I definitely wasn't singling anyone out as a tire kicker. Mine was just a gigantic mud-stereo-type. When mudders sell they want the moon, when they buy it's full of rust and bad issues LOL.
I think you are being smart about being very diligent. If you are taking a flight then you are well above tire kicking IMO. I'm on my 3rd cruiser purchased unseen and so far it's gone very well for me. Some cruisers I bought hastily, 2 come to mind, and they were bad purchases...I knew better. When I sell, I'm almost overly critical which is how I feel @gilmorneau seems to be representing it...along with being honest about what he doesn't know.

Many people get caught up in "I have to buy it before someone else does" and they don't really think of how much it will cost to get where they want it. Everyone's budget is different along with our threshold of acceptance.

This looks like a pretty solid and rare cruiser in the US. It will sell.

more bumps for the ad.

I'll be in touch.

I was definetly not referring to you or anyone else specific, just an observation after many years of selling Cruisers . You already own a 7x so you definitely are pulling the trigger when you see something you like. There are folks posting on every social media page and forum that they are “ serious” and “ready” to buy even wanting other people to import a rig for them without having any real intention to buy anything unless it is that golden opportunity for pennies on the dollar :-(

This BJ75 is a very good deal for someone wanting a daily driver /weekend warrior Cruiser , I would not recommend it to a collector wanting investment grade ....... but the reality is that I don’t really cater to that last crowd ;)

Lol in their own opinion they are all "serious buyers" even the biggest tire kickers that are "actively" looking for years now for the "right Cruiser" think they are a serious buyer......this is why I only import the Cruisers and parts that I personaly like , if they don't sell I keep em ;)

You hit the nail right on the head. That's why my "workaround" eliminates the BS--because it's just me dealing with bureaucracy, but the buyer is the one wiring money all over the world. If a buyer isn't serious enough to pony up, we won't get very far and it's no headache (or investment) for me.

I'll probably sell one of the BJ71's I have after this red Troopy sells, but after that I won't put my own money into importing Landcruisers unless it's a car I want for myself.

No need at all. Not even a little. Dude....if you could read some of the e-mails I've gotten, listen in on some of the phone calls, or be there for some of the showings, you'd realize you're in a different league. For one thing, you will end up with a Troopy, be it mine or someone else's. Most of the (literally hundreds of) guys I've spoken to will never have one.

Great philosophy on only buying Cruisers you like. Been doing it for years, however the problem is you can become addicted and next thing you know you are building a separate shop just to house your own collection! And its amazing how many people say "if there was a LHD 70 series in the US I would buy it tomorrow." Tomorrow comes and goes and the truck remains.

This truck is really a great value for the money and if you are stuck on LHD then its probably below market value! And remember the great thing about metal...it can be welded and with this truck nothing in the photos scares me. People will be kicking themselves when this one sells. Good Luck and wait for the right buyer!

Did you really talk to over 100 folks in regards to this truck?

That is amazing.

Hopefully the sale consummates smoothly and we can all follow along with an actual build thread!

Didn't actually count, but, yes, I'd wager it was over a hundred. Had something like 12,000 page views here, over 10,000 on eBay when I had it listed there, and likely thousands more (no counter) on the Expo Portal and various Craigslists and other venues. So, what's that? Maybe less than 1/2 of 1% of the people who looked at an ad actually contacted me. Better than half of those were clearly not serious. Less than a quarter of the people who contacted me (more like 1 in 10, probably) left me with the impression that they might actually buy it. So really only a few guys.

I know the buyer is lurking here, but I don't know if he's registered. I'll leave it to him if he wants to post after he takes possession of the truck. I'm sure people here would be interested, and I've already told him this place (IH8MUD) is a gold mine of Landcruiser resources.

I don't think the issue is demand for 70 series, it is just that some people ask ridiculously high prices for what they are offering.

Not the case in this thread though. @gilmorneau is offering this cruiser at a reasonable price in my opinion.

I think you should budget an import, try it even. The entire process is drawn out and expensive. My last container cost over $5k a truck. That doesn’t account for the other thousands of dollars I spent.

Cheers

I'll probably sell one of the BJ71's I have after this red Troopy sells, but after that I won't put my own money into importing Landcruisers unless it's a car I want for myself.

Speaking of all the tire kickers...

I get emails or calls where people start out by saying “I don’t have the money to buy right now but I will in a year or two”.

Cheers

Just remember, every buyer is a tire kicker right before they buy.

I think you should budget an import, try it even. The entire process is drawn out and expensive. My last container cost over $5k a truck. That doesn’t account for the other thousands of dollars I spent.

Cheers

I would tell you what I think but you probably wouldn’t like my response.

Hey this is great news! I do hope that the buyer becomes or is an active Mud member. I'd love to follow along with the build. Both buyer and seller should be happy with this. Congrats!

Thanks everyone! I knew it would sell, I was just a little surprised by the great abundance of interested parties, but the relative paucity of buyers.

Just purely as an FYI at this point, the buyer commissioned a "pre-purchase check" by a well-regarded Landcruiser mechanic here in Boulder (if you have an old Landcruiser, and you're in Boulder, you probably know who). Nothing super surprising for a 31 year old Landcruiser. I was pleased to see the compression of all 4 cylinders was over 400, and all within about 15 of each other. So that's good. No structural rust--frame and all the body mounts checked out solid. Only unexpected problem was with the rear pinion bearing, which was a little loose. Other than that, some pretty normal stuff for an old car: belts look old, maybe hoses, brakes could use some work, it'll be time for a front axle service one of these days. A hole in the exhaust pipe. Some worn out bushings. Meh.

I'll try and convince the buyer to post. He's not really a "car guy", in that he doesn't do mechanical work on his own cars much, so I think he might be a little shy about posting, what with all the motorheads here. I know of at least a couple 70-series owners who don't do their own wrenching, so he wouldn't be alone.

I think you should budget an import, try it even. The entire process is drawn out and expensive.

Ian and I may have gotten off on the wrong foot a few posts ago, but I have to agree with what I believe he's saying here, and that is that most buyers have no idea what's involved in importing a truck; not the time, the money, or the bureaucracy. I've done it five times now (and may be doing it again soon), and all in, Ian's $5k/truck number is pretty close to what I've found. That includes transportation on the Europe side from where I find the truck to the port, shipping to a USA port, US Customs, duties, fees, and broker, transport from the USA port to my house in Boulder, CO registration, CO taxes, Emissions, and probably more that I'm forgetting. Of course, it varies a bit truck to truck, but $5k is a decent average. Add to that the purchase price of the truck. So by the time a 10,000 Euro truck gets to my house, it's a 17,000 dollar truck, with zero markup for me and all my trouble. Which should make it obvious why no one wants to import 70-series trucks for fun and profit. There's precious little of either to be had.

All that said, I'm fully aware that it's not the buyer's concern how much I have into a given truck--he wants to pay what he thinks the truck is worth. But it should help explain to all the guys who called to offer me $7-10k why I was so intransigent on price.

I would tell you what I think but you probably wouldn’t like my response.

I, for one, would love to hear what you think, assuming you can keep it civil and on point. :grinpimp:

I’m the ‘lurker’ who is buying Steve’s Troopy. I’m definitely no wrencher, like he said. I’ve been on mud for awhile and have bought and sold here as well. I’ve really appreciated all of the information and spirited discussion that’s been shared on this thread. Definitely some passion around the 70 series.

As to my buying experience, I’ve found Steve to be really great to work with. He’s honest, friendly, and willing to help me understand what I’m getting into. I’d recommend him to anyone.

My plan for this truck is to make it my daily driver. I have no plans to convert to an expedition worthy overland rig. That being said, I plan to rehab it. That will include new suspension, new seats, new wheels and tires, body work to mitigate rust and replacement panels where the rust is rot. I am considering a turbo upgrade, but am on the fence about this. I’ll probably have stronger feelings after driving up I 70 to Vail a couple of times. I’d love to hear the pros and cons of turboing this engine.

Finally, I’ll be looking for a forward facing rear seat solution, 5 wheels, and several other items over the months to come. I’m in CO and would prefer to buy local and pick up if possible to avoid big shipping costs. First, though, I’m going to have all the ‘30 year old’ land cruiser issues sorted.

Best regards,

Jamie

Congrats @4btfjz80CO93! You beat me to the punch on this one. Agree on all accounts with Steve. I think you’re going to love this truck. Let me know if you want contact info for the body shop I took it to for an estimate, assuming you’re in Colorado.

With regard to 3B turbo versus not, mountain driving experience will be much more enjoyable with than without but you’ll only be passing tractor trailers, slowly, and will have to get back in the right lane after passing. Definitely add a pyrometer regardless.

I’ve got 5 wheels in Denver that would be a perfect fit:
For Sale - OEM Toyota spoke steelies--15x6 powdered grey, Denver, CO

Congrats again!

I’m the ‘lurker’ who is buying Steve’s Troopy. I’m definitely no wrencher, like he said. I’ve been on mud for awhile and have bought and sold here as well. I’ve really appreciated all of the information and spirited discussion that’s been shared on this thread. Definitely some passion around the 70 series.

As to my buying experience, I’ve found Steve to be really great to work with. He’s honest, friendly, and willing to help me understand what I’m getting into. I’d recommend him to anyone.

My plan for this truck is to make it my daily driver. I have no plans to convert to an expedition worthy overland rig. That being said, I plan to rehab it. That will include new suspension, new seats, new wheels and tires, body work to mitigate rust and replacement panels where the rust is rot. I am considering a turbo upgrade, but am on the fence about this. I’ll probably have stronger feelings after driving up I 70 to Vail a couple of times. I’d love to hear the pros and cons of turboing this engine.

Finally, I’ll be looking for a forward facing rear seat solution, 5 wheels, and several other items over the months to come. I’m in CO and would prefer to buy local and pick up if possible to avoid big shipping costs. First, though, I’m going to have all the ‘30 year old’ land cruiser issues sorted.

Best regards,

Jamie
Congrats ...... U.S. 70's Registration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom