Lexus Credit Card Key Successfully programmed on 2016 LC #89904-53512 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so can anyone post pictures of what a one sided key vs a 2 sided key looks like in comparison to my L shaped key from my LX570?

Are the OEM L shaped LX570 keys a one sided or 2 sided key?
If your L shaped key is flat on one side of the blade, like butter knife flat, and has a groove down the center of the other side, its one sided. The two sided keys have the same center groove and pattern cut on both sides of the blade.

If your L shaped key is flat on one side of the blade, like butter knife flat, and has a groove down the center of the other side, its one sided. The two sided keys have the same center groove and pattern cut on both sides of the blade.

So my key is 1 sided?

F847088A-3126-4FD3-9EE3-83F10D0ADCA4.jpeg
C3DB6E46-B9CF-4221-80BE-F1FE91F29297.jpeg

It’s 2 sided but the lock pattern appears to only be on one side. So maybe the one sided emergency key would work. Can you insert the key either way or just one? I’ll defer to a Lexus person since I have a 2 sided LC

Did you ask your locksmith how much it would cost to rekey to a single tumbler lock (I'd want the glove box done too if I were doing it). That would, of course require you to get new keys for your FOBS as well (I assume the newer key fobs fit into the old ones).
Not an entirely crazy idea. There’s just two key locks. Drivers door and glovebox. There’s be a couple emergency keys to replace too.

They can probably just remove the wafers (tumbler) on one side of the cylinder. Then the existing, as well as the new one-sided key would work.

They can probably just remove the wafers (tumbler) on one side of the cylinder. Then the existing, as well as the new one-sided key would work.
Sounds promising. I'm planning to talk to the locksmith tmrw. I'll ask. Thx for the idea.

Wondering what happens in the newer, 1 sided locks... does the key have to be put in one way only? I'd imagine so.. if there's wafers on one side only.

Asked and answered. One sided keys can only go in one way. I've never needed my mechanical key to get into the car. Has anyone here needed to use theirs? I rarely lock the glove box because I never valet park or keep stuff of value in the car if I'm handing it over to car wash, mechanic, etc.

lexusKey.jpg

I have the key card on the way but not planning to get the mechanical key. Never used it before and fob always give you a warning if battery low.

I have the key card on the way but not planning to get the mechanical key. Never used it before and fob always give you a warning if battery low.

Only concern is if the car battery dies. Then you have rig that you can't open to get access to the hood.

Not an entirely crazy idea. There’s just two key locks. Drivers door and glovebox. There’s be a couple emergency keys to replace too.

FWIW, I have a 4Runner with a double sided key. I tried to get a single sided key to fit in the fob's slot, and it won't lock into place. So unless you can remove the tumblers on one side and still work with the two sided key, changing the locks may not be a good solution as the old key won't hold a new FOB.

The smart card uses an uncommon size battery CR2412 . The first card I received had a dead battery and I tried all the usual sources... HEB, Walgreens, CVS, Frys. No luck. Ended up at the (penske owned) Lexus dealer and it cost $10. Bought some on Amazon to have on hand. Thin enuf to put in my wallet without adding bulk.

It would really suck to have jumper cables and battery pack in the truck and not be able to get to them. However, as far as I can remember, I've always been able to get in my cars via fob even when the car battery was too weak to start the motor.

I've been reading that you can start the truck with a dead fob battery. Decided to try it with the smart card. It worked with absolutely no hesitation. Impressive! Unfortunately, it won't open the door.

I never wait until it dies. If it gives low battery warning, I change battery. Meantime I grab the other keyfoab.

I'm talking about the Land Cruiser's 12v battery. Not the FOB battery. If the LC battery decides to die (often happens with no warning), then you won't be able to access your hood without getting a locksmith or a physical key. When I had my 2011, I risked it, as I had a new battery and I work 10 minutes from home, so worst case scenario I have to take a round trip Uber to get a backup key.

The smart card uses an uncommon size battery CR2412 . The first card I received had a dead battery and I tried all the usual sources... HEB, Walgreens, CVS, Frys. No luck. Ended up at the (penske owned) Lexus dealer and it cost $10. Bought some on Amazon to have on hand. Thin enuf to put in my wallet without adding bulk.

It would really suck to have jumper cables and battery pack in the truck and not be able to get to them. However, as far as I can remember, I've always been able to get in my cars via fob even when the car battery was too weak to start the motor.

I've been reading that you can start the truck with a dead fob battery. Decided to try it with the smart card. It worked with absolutely no hesitation. Impressive! Unfortunately, it won't open the door.

Yep, you will usually be able to open the door. It could suck if the car battery poops out completely though. That is the only downside I see.

Edit: As far as the FOB battery, I ordered a few on Amazon, and they all came in individual sleeves. I leave one in the LC and an extra in my wallet. Takes up virtually no space.

Last edited:
So I'm loving the smart card key. And now I've got techstream running on my mac as well. So far, so good. But I'm still trying to figure out a single sided key solution. Just seems wrong to have to carry or hide a metal key in order back up the smart card. My locksmith said in some cases, the wafers on both sides need to be there. Says they interact somehow. I'm trying to find out a few things. Maybe one of you knows the answers...

Did the LC ever switch to a single sided key? If so, what year?
When did Lexus introduce the single sided key?
Anyone know if the lexus single sided cylinders are the same size as the Toyota for a given year? I'm thinking I need to get a Lexus single sided cylinder and take apart the glove box lock and see if they swap out.

So I'm loving the smart card key. And now I've got techstream running on my mac as well. So far, so good. But I'm still trying to figure out a single sided key solution. Just seems wrong to have to carry or hide a metal key in order back up the smart card. My locksmith said in some cases, the wafers on both sides need to be there. Says they interact somehow. I'm trying to find out a few things. Maybe one of you knows the answers...

Did the LC ever switch to a single sided key? If so, what year?
When did Lexus introduce the single sided key?
Anyone know if the lexus single sided cylinders are the same size as the Toyota for a given year? I'm thinking I need to get a Lexus single sided cylinder and take apart the glove box lock and see if they swap out.

The 16+ LC is single sided. Lexus even before that. Key shape is slightly different (16 LC key wont fit/lock in pre 16 fob.

Thx. So here's hoping a 15 LX cylinder will work in a 15 LC glove box. (glove box first, then door. Easier replacement I'm assuming)

Glove box lock is same part 2015 to 2017. Only difference is the color, in my case, sand vs flaxen. This is what the online parts site showed. Seems kind of cheap for a keyed lock. Door lock is different part number 2015 and 2016. 2017 same as 2016. I'm gonna need to get a 16 or 17 lock and give it a try. I'm going to be at Cedar Pk Toyota getting the recall done. I'll pass the time bugging the parts guys and see if I can get an answer.

glove box lock.jpg

While I was waiting for the dealer to replace the seatbelt on the recall, I went to the parts department and found someone who was interested in the smart card and he researched the lock cylinder thing for me. He's pretty sure the 16 lock cylinders will work in my 15. Gave me prices and part numbers. Will take 2-3 weeks to get them, but I think I'll give it a shot. I can get the emergency key cut to match the new key that comes with the cylinder and will know if its going to work. If not, restock and I'm out the price of getting a key cut. Its worth a shot. Also need to learn whats involved in changing the lock cylinders in the door and glove box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom