Lets talk tires, I know what I am starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
MY son and I are building a new Gambler 500 car. A 99 Lincoln town car. (Cartier edition if it matters) He wants some sort of really aggressive mud tire like Super Swampers. I want something aggressive but I want something better and cheap I would love a cheap mud tire. The good part is we have 16 and 17 inch wheels and maybe even 15's if they clear the brakes in front. I would love to stay between 31 and 33 inches tall. We have a sawzall and a $59 lift kit from Ebay so tire clearance is not an issue. Rims will be 6-8 inches wide with 7 where we probably land. We have options

MY son and I are building a new Gambler 500 car. A 99 Lincoln town car. (Cartier edition if it matters) He wants some sort of really aggressive mud tire like Super Swampers. I want something aggressive but I want something better and cheap I would love a cheap mud tire. The good part is we have 16 and 17 inch wheels and maybe even 15's if they clear the brakes in front. I would love to stay between 31 and 33 inches tall. We have a sawzall and a $59 lift kit from Ebay so tire clearance is not an issue. Rims will be 6-8 inches wide with 7 where we probably land. We have options
I'd take a look at Interco's blem list. They'll likely have a number of different smaller mud tires that would fit your needs (and "cheap").

The blem list is entertaining. I had forgotten about it.

I've had decent luck with Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for used tires. I typically look for Wrangler Rubicon take offs which usually end up being between 31s and 33s. Just make sure to check date codes.

For new stuff the interco blem list is good, the Goodyear's from walmart seem to be decent. Duratracs too. But used is probably the cheapest option.

Friend and I are building a Volvo XC70 on a set of Wrangler take offs.

My brother in law and I did a Gambler 500 race here in Texas last year in a 1986 Subaru Brat. We ran General Grabber AT’s as a cheap tire and were extremely impressed with them. They handled 2 days of highway, forest roads, caliche roads, sand, mud, etc and rode smooth/pulled us through everything!
Post some pics of the Lincoln, there were several Crown Vics in the Gambler event we were in and they looked to be a fun platform!
Have fun and ABG!!

1BCD4D42-222C-454A-99CE-00CDDE271732.jpeg

51EBF397-8A54-4497-9247-D7C876C02D5D.jpeg

Last year we used my 1990 2 wd F-250 with Walmart clearance Goodyears they did well. Tennessee was the most fun and organized of the 3 we did last year. We won Alabama and got the sportsmanship award. This year we decided the vehicle needed to be more impractical and still 2wd. I like rwd and V-8's we found a deal on a Lincoln that was hit by a tree. We pushed the roof up with a floor jack. We have started gutting it. Less weight=more fun. I bought a $56 donk lift kit off of ebay although I may only use the front because apparently Expedition springs work on the rear.

Last edited:
The was a 60 series last year at Tennessee running the event . It was involved in an on highway accident a month after the event that laid it on the side and it will be back this year per the owner

I'd take a look at Interco's blem list. They'll likely have a number of different smaller mud tires that would fit your needs (and "cheap").

This is what we decided. I have 5 Irok-ND's coming my way. I should be able to get 31's under the Lincoln.

They fit on the rear with the lift and minor fender clearancing. The front needs a hair more lift and I should be on Super Swampers next week.

Here is the rear as it sits on the ground. We replaced the airbags with coil springs and about 2 inches of added lift

1596913942284-1840739151.jpg

I run the General Grabber AT X (I think its the X) on my FJ60 and they were $150 per 31x10.5x15" tire. They are quiet, ride nice, and have good traction offroad here in Vermont. I don't do anything extreme but so far no issues. I have a friend in Hawaii with a VW camper van rental company and I believe he is running the Grabbers on all of his vanagons. I've driven a couple of them and same deal.

No excitement lately

I would 2nd this. You could also look at Tread Wright. I have had 6 or 7 different sets of retreads and they are great for beating around on.

I'm looking for radial tires for my '40 - and found something interesting... a few things... sometimes the opposite measurement is cheaper.... e.g. 265 v. 31, and also Amazon can be very competitive (they are an utter pain to find the options because they rely on the listing heading not the tire size - e.g. Toyo tires comes up in a different search then Toyo Open Country)... Amazon is also a good place to find blems (and ebay as well)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom