Let's talk about axes (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fiskars X15 all the way.
I used mine for the first time on vacation last month splitting up some logs, and first swing every time they split perfectly.
I have used traditional axes in the past, this new one blew them away.
I read reviews on it, watched YouTube vids, and that is what convinced me to buy it via Amazon.

20.jpg

Best axe I’ve used! Stays razor sharp use after use!

Best axe I’ve used! Stays razor sharp use after use!
Even though I have only used mine once, I was very impressed with it.
It just felt right in my hands and when I swung it.
I have used a lot of axes in my lifetime splitting up firewood for camping and when I had a wood burning stove, and this is the best so far.

I use 2, a Husqvarna 26" Wooden Multi-Purpose Axe and a 13" hatchet. The 26" easily cuts through 8-10" diameter fallen tree, great for trail use. This past weekend it got most of the use in a long time and it worked flawlessly. These are made in Sweden, same factory as others 2-3X price but with a rougher finish. With a good rasp they stay very sharp. The hatchet is more for campsite use, same quality steel.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WJGXAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nearly broke my splitting axe. Poor quality metal and a stubborn log.
Still not completed. I hammered at it with a 4lb hammer which contributed to the cracking of the axe.
I even used gloves this time, but did not gave up my flip flops. 74F here in SoCal.

I need a new splitting axe now.
Or just use some kerosene. Or the chainsaw.

Chopper 1?

So as an all rounder just for fire wood and mild use would a splitting or chopping type blade be better?

Felling axes and splitters are different all together. There is a certain degree of overlapping of course.

For splitting you want a splitter. The geometry is different. It widens out the farther you get from the edge, so it can push the two sides of the log apart.

If the log you are trying to split is not stubborn like my oak today, you can get away with a felling axe to. Small diameter.

But you know, you would not take a Mustang off road, right?

I will say that Fiskers (parent company of Gerber) are great. Stay sharp and cut/split excellently. Light and strong. I have the x25 and x27. During elk camp this year my x27 splitting axe got broken. Sent them a picture for warranty and they sent me a brand new one. No questions asked. Now I have an extra head to use as a maul. Will buy them again without hesitation.

How about Husqvarna 30" splitting axe or the 32" splitting maul?

I am a bit partial to the brand since I also have a Husqvarna chainsaw which I used today to cut some really hard oak. More for fun factor rather than need. It just bugged me since last time I messed up my cheap splitter.

my buddy got a gransfors bruk for xmas...beautiful axe... http://amzn.to/2Cv9XhN makes my fiskars seem like a toy!

I got the gransfors small forest axe for Christmas last year. It's really impressive. I'd consider it more of a limbing axe/bushcrafting axe.
BTW; you can find it cheaper than amazon has it listed for.

I found an unidentifiable axe in my parent's barn. Threw it in the back of my 4runner and used it to move some felled trees. Handle started slipping - drilled out wedge, glass blasted the (beautiful) patina off to check for rust, and then rust blued. Put it in my dad's motorized Lansky sharpener, and it's been working for me when I don't have a chainsaw handy. Pretty pleased.

Ager Venator,

Good for you! You have a great axe that works for what it was made to do and it didn't cost you $200. There's something about an old axe that has served well through the years and stands ready to do it some more.

G'Day Fella's,

I have a few Axe's, all handed down to me, from my Grandfather (Harry).
I'll post a few images of them, over the next few days.

Here is the little 4" "Kelly Perfect", that lives on my "Battle Cruiser" year round.
As you can see, it only has an OAL of 26 1/2", and does most every thing I need.

D'oh!
Homer

DSCN2216.JPG

DSCN2217.JPG

DSCN2218.JPG

I'm Baaack........ as promised.

Here are 4 other Axes I own (all hand me downs).
These are all 4 1/2 " wide (Blade), full size axes.
From the top we have a Hytest, an unidentified brand, an Elwell, another unidentified brand but with a "K" initial (and has the same kind of shaped blade, of a "Kelly Perfect").

DSCN2221.JPG

DSCN2222.JPG

DSCN2223.JPG

DSCN2224.JPG

DSCN2226.JPG

As you can see, these have been working axes and some have seen a lot of use, on various types of extremely hard, Australian Eucalyptus trees.

I hope you enjoy the view.

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom