let's see yer 40 with track bar installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

wanna pick-up some idea on how to install a track bar at the rear axle of my 40. i fell like she wants to roll when cornering. mine is a SOA, stock leaf springs on 36x12.5 ET II centipedes.

So, kindly show me yours if your rig is equipped with this thing.

TIA

Cheers!

gado

a trac bar is to prevent breaking a pinion by limiting rotation of the pinion upward upon acceleration. It has nothing to do as a sway bar, which sounds like what you are describing. Not my pix but you get the idea. Plenty of read out there if you are so inclined. Do an advanced search for "trac bar" in the 40/55 section.

There are 2 basic design, the Decker bar and what everyone else uses. Not editorializing or endorsing. On the latter there are two basic types of front mounts, under and over. Pix shamelessly stolen from my own searches.

http://www.deckersonline.com/fj40_traction_bar

norma22408%20003.jpg

Cothran2.jpeg

Wrab%20bar%20and%20Skid.jpg
norma22408%20003.jpg
Cothran2.jpeg
Wrab%20bar%20and%20Skid.jpg

Last edited:
my mistake.

I'm actually referring to panhard rod. But as per wikipedia, panhard rod is also called a track bar that's why i say track bar.

So, please if you have pics of panhard rod installed in your 40, kindly share it with me.

TIA

Cheers!

gado

there is absolutely no reason to have or need a panhard bar on a leaf-sprung FJ40.

BTW, I'm sure glad I spent all that time researching, posting links, pix and providing clarification instead of just telling you to search. Please pull through.

i've got to agree...

that a sprung fj40 rear will not need, under normal circumstances, a panhard/track bar,

i disagree that a sprung fj40 front "will" need one, under normal circumstances, a panhard/track bar.

yet, if an fj40 is run on a side slope tilted left or right for some time, or for some measurable objectives. having a secure link for the frame/tub would limit any shift at the leaf springs. that would be true for both front and rear systems.

at any measure, this would be under significant load and side tilt situations. and, i dont see the big guys doing that on very many rigs out there. i have seen tipping way before leafs broke and or pulled from the rig. of course, there will be that one guy, and ... there ya have it.

i might add that adding a few pounds down low to an fj40 is tempting though, especially if i am running full hard top and roof rack. but then, i got to find that obstical to side tilt, and i just dont do that. Maybe in Moab, prichart canyon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom