LED License Plate Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I just put some 67-W9-WV lights from superbrightleds in my license plate light. When they are initially turned on they are bright and light up the plate really well. But at some point they get dim, and barely light up the plate. I thought they could be overheating. I emailed superbrightleds and asked what was going on. He recommended their RL-650 Load Resistors. This doesn't make sense to me because I have larger LED lights in my front corners (67-W15) and they have no issues.

What do you guys think?

Hypothesis...small space + bright light is creating excess heat that reduces the output of the LED. If true, then reducing the amps via a resistor seems like a good solution.

TS888- I could get a ticket if my plate isn't illuminated so I need to keep it lit up. :frown:

lovetoski- that's kinda what I was thinking too. I really don't want to spend $5 to light a $3 bulb. Maybe I'll run without the lens covers and see if they overheat.

Just ran them without lens covers. They were fine.

What I should have done is only take one lens cover off. :doh:

Live and learn...

Edit. Because pictures are fun.

IMG_1757.jpg

Last edited:
TS888 said:
Were the existing lights not working?

I'm just yanking your chain. It's the beer talking. :beer:

They were haha. I just wanted to change them. :beer:

tclark said:
I think that's the brightest license plate light I've ever seen!

It lights up the ground pretty good. And these aren't even the brightest ones you could put in. I'm pretty sure heat is the issue. The space is only like three times the volume of the bulb. And heat can wreck LEDs. I've experienced that a couple times.

I'll report back with a better test soon.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Hey Kline you may know, I have been on their website but I don't see any interior bulbs? how do you know what bulbs for the interior?

Back up light[1156]Front sidemarker[67]Front turn signal[1156]License plate[89]Parking light[67]Rear turn signal[1156]Step/Courtesy light[DE3425]Stop light[1157]Tail light[1157]

those are the only ones I see

snowboardonsnow said:
Hey Kline you may know, I have been on their website but I don't see any interior bulbs? how do you know what bulbs for the interior?

those are the only ones I see

Because I'm awesome.

Actually I just read a lot on here and personal experience. Taking stuff apart, etc.

158/194's for the speedo/ tach/ multi-cluster/ inclinometer

Festoons for the HVAC, and both domes. Don't know the exact sizes of those. I have universal PCB boards in the domes with spring adapters for the festoon lights. And the 9 light brick for the HVAC. I think that one is a 30mm

Man, those things are beyond bright! Don't park that thing near an airport. You might get planes trying to land on your truck because they think it's the runway lights! =D

Ask this in 80s tech.

So I'm pretty sure there is a bad connection somewhere. They were dim earlier. I opened the hatch and slammed it. They came on full bright. The rear dome has some issues as well. Linked? Quite possible...

So I'm pretty sure there is a bad connection somewhere. They were dim earlier. I opened the hatch and slammed it. They came on full bright. The rear dome has some issues as well. Linked? Quite possible...

Mr Toyota decided to save a few yen and didn't run an earth from the tailgate to the frame, relying on hinges and other metal contact to do so.... this doesn't always work so unreliable number plate lighting is the result... fit an earth from the light holder to the chassis via the same route as power wire... :cool::cool:

While on this subject, does anyone know where I can get a NEW complete number plate light/lift handle assembly for a 60... thnx in advance

ozwallaby said:
Mr Toyota decided to save a few yen and didn't run an earth from the tailgate to the frame, relying on hinges and other metal contact to do so.... this doesn't always work so unreliable number plate lighting is the result... fit an earth from the light holder to the chassis via the same route as power wire... :cool::cool:

While on this subject, does anyone know where I can get a NEW complete number plate light/lift handle assembly for a 60... thnx in advance

Really now. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

Have you tried Mr. Toyota?

tclark said:
I think that's the brightest license plate light I've ever seen!

That light is brighter than my 62, high beams on!!

robustbambi said:
That light is brighter than my 62, high beams on!!

He could lose his reverse lights and still be able to see behind him. =D

---"Wait Master, it might be dangerous.....You go first."--

Haha thanks guys. My reverse lights are 7W Cree units. They blind people :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom