LED DRL and High Beam for LX and LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luke111

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Page 4 has a possible solution for the 98-2002 to run this setup

2003-2007 LED DRL/HIGH BEAM KIT

The LED DRL /High Beam Kit is now available in a limited quantity on my site www.lbbuiltwerks.com . The kit will include the 2Stroke LED bulbs a resistor and a harness. The kits vary based on LX or LC and which head lights you are running .....HID or Halogen.
If you plan on retrofitting your head lights to HID in the future buy the HID kit.. It will work with your halogen lights and you'll have the connectors for the HID lights when you're ready. We're not sure how many are interested so we are limiting availability and will adjust based on the orders. I the site is set to take back orders but I'll limit it... so we don't get backed up.

THIS KIT ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE A OEM DRL RESISTOR
(Some 2003 Land Cruisers will not have the OEM resistor.. and will required more then a plug and play solution.. it's in the works)

15BCA088-D5FA-40FE-9CA2-131F98046EB0.jpeg

E86E3AB6-15B7-4B52-BDEC-76E1D226C81B.jpeg

7B22D1EA-3E41-4DF9-BF12-33240719A3A2.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question to all.

the HID shutters are getting power when the high beams are activated, aren't they also getting power when the daytime running lights are on?
Doesn't that mean the shutter is getting pulled every time you start your truck and the daytime running lights come on and only close when low beams are activated?

IF that's true, aren't they getting really hot? or is this the normal operation?

never mind, there's no path to ground on the dtrl curcuit in series. That's why they're closed until high beam activation where it switches.

So in swapping them to parallel and inserting 8.5 plus or minus volts into the crossover common line (white/red) I'm also supplying voltage to the HID shutter leg on the 9005 splitter.

I think that's my last hurdle. Limit that leg of the splitter until it gets full battery+ V.

edit ,,, I think moving a lead off the shutter to the high beam ground in the dtrl relay will work fine.

The front of you car looks awesome Lou. Yes I'm abusing your thread.

Last edited:
Lou would know more. I don't use the DTRLs. The color on what I've tested or installed is just so much a better match to an HID @55 or 6000k. I've never had a 9011 bulb, do they match color wise at 5vdc to a D2S?

though i would love the same as I am all for changing out every bulb to LED in my newly acquired 100 as i did my 80 right after i bought it, because the 100 uses an incandescent style dimming system for the DRL's, its not the bulb that you are on a quest for, but a new controller/dimmer to replace the current dimmer with one that can dim LED's. Perhaps something hacked from the entertainment lighting industry. that industry is well on the way to flooding the market with dimmable LED fixtures. i see more and more used with every new show i do. and i dont think we are going to find anything from another car maker as i sincerely doubt anyone is dimming LEDs, they just add a stripe or angel eyes around main headlight bulbs for the DRLs. can anyone think of a car that might be dimming LED's?

technically, we're not dimming them either. But no, I don't think any maker does that for dtrl. There isn't a reason to nowadays . These all have a third input or two controllers or segregated outputs, who really knows what they put inside though. They do work and look nice. Far as I can tell, if the daytime running portion was wired parallel, The daytime running light ready LEDs would drop in and work fine. (mostly) hahha

Would the LED high beam option provide better output than a simple 9005--->9011 swap?

Without a side by side comparison I can't answer that question and have zero experience with 9011... I think TRS did a comparison video and of course I have a bias opinion simply because I'm rabid about HID retrofits and currently there's not a LED bulb or LED projector that has the output of the D2S 5,0 Low beam or High Beam and simply looking at all the post regarding bulbs and light output a simple HID retrofit and you'll stop looking for the perfect bulb. So having a LED DRL/High Beam is less about output because the High beam of the D2S or the Mini H1 will have a much better output then any LED bulb currently on the the market. So for myself and others who have HID projectors I'm looking for a comparable color match in the DRL/Highbeam location Here's a quote from @frogers935 who has a fully built LX and recently completed his HID/LED
"The HID/LED was the best mod I have done on the truck for everyday use"

though i would love the same as I am all for changing out every bulb to LED in my newly acquired 100 as i did my 80 right after i bought it, because the 100 uses an incandescent style dimming system for the DRL's, its not the bulb that you are on a quest for, but a new controller/dimmer to replace the current dimmer with one that can dim LED's. Perhaps something hacked from the entertainment lighting industry. that industry is well on the way to flooding the market with dimmable LED fixtures. i see more and more used with every new show i do. and i dont think we are going to find anything from another car maker as i sincerely doubt anyone is dimming LEDs, they just add a stripe or angel eyes around main headlight bulbs for the DRLs. can anyone think of a car that might be dimming LED's?

I should have said a quest for the perfect setup and not bulb.... Driver, resistor diode and bulb......whatever combo to make this work, XenonDepot has a LED DRL/HB bulb and driver that was develop for the 4Runner and it's plug and play but doesn't work in the LC/LX
@jerryb pretty much covered the details and we'll keep after it and see if we can get this to work

link for the 4runner part?
what is it about it that doesnt work for us? sorry to play catch up but is a new partial harness needed? sorry, i have around 80 hours at work this week with very little to do.

link for the 4runner part?
what is it about it that doesnt work for us? sorry to play catch up but is a new partial harness needed? sorry, i have around 80 hours at work this week with very little to do.
Both myself and @frogers935 dropped a few hundred bucks and could not get them to work. His conclusion is below.

" The 4Runner setup is for a PWM system which the LX/LC does not use. Our trucks just drop the voltage via the resistor to run at half brightness . I don't see a way of changing this without changing the DRL circuit"

So a new partial harness is not the fix

Here's the comparison .... both have similar Lux readings but the color is what we're chasing...Interesting they are running both through a projector for a clean cut off. I see a new retrofit in the future

Nice lamp. Are we trying to dim an LED or just have it function at its designed output as a DRL operating at nominal battery voltage? The drl dimmer box in the LC is cutting the voltage correct? Down to what voltage? If something convenient like 6 volts can we get a relay with a coil that works with 6 volts and turn on the led headlamp with that? It would then Essentially always be on. Just spitballing here

trying to maintain the body ecu, DRL relay and steering wheel headlight stalk, stock (OEM) functions as normal.
wired in series with the stock 9005 bulbs and the 4 ohm 50 watt resistor I see about 5 volts with both bulbs lighted. If you remove the resistor maintaining the stock wiring you can get both LED 9005 to light, slightly, but one or the other may or may not blink.

The reason there isn't enough juice to light both LED is because they are in series.

Changing ours to be parallel seems like the only option.

Also the LX and LC headlight pic. Just imagine a stock resistor on in the bottom right from the relay going to the combo switch on teh steering wheel ground. Earlier LX and LC if they have a resistor have a different ground common with the low and high beam.

Last edited:
Don't forget about the omnidirectional discombobulator.

when it gets warmer and i have some time in about a month, ill try this all out with a relay that has a coil voltage of 4-14vdc so it can trigger when DRL mode is on and full low beam mode is on. then just add a couple wires and fuses from the battery for the LEDs. im not using HIDs so i dont have shutter issues or ballasts. am i under thinking this?

possibly, depends on the end goal I think.
the high beam relay runs the dtrl and the high beams. low beam activation closes the dtrl ground and opens the hi beam ground, reversing the flow on the passenger high beam (red/yellow) and then both highs have the common ground. (white/red)

In dtrl mode it goes from high beam relay, hi beam fuse (left-driver20amp), to driver headligh, to pass light, to relay, to dtrl ground, or resistor, then ground.

LED DRL has happened but Jerry’s on his way to Mardi Gras so I’m hoping he remembers how he achieved this. I’m not about to try and explain the wiring process because I can’t😳
I’ll just described the photos, The first picture is the LED daytime running light.... the second is the LED daytime running light with parking lights ....the third is low beams and the fourth is high beams. This set up is currently wired for those running HID projectors and might require a different setup to work with the stock halogens.
The plan is to make a couple harnesses and run them in our trucks for a bit before bringing these to market

FE099684-6299-46D6-8F38-E750D186BF93.jpeg

14833ADE-91AC-4950-972E-7A0896FF77C8.jpeg

64D39ED8-D11E-471F-860E-2C95A669CE84.jpeg

3BB8F17F-49A6-45DA-ABDB-580E1F7AD772.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom