Leaking Power Steering + Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

On the HJ60 I noticed it was very noisy when turning yesterday after I started it, it went away as soon as car warmed up. I assumed it was the cold or something.

Anyhow, started her up today in the 5 degree F morning and I noticed it was making a little noise, sounded MAYBE like the power steering. Thought it was the cold again.

Anyhow, I shut it down and was going to drive the other car when I noticed oil underneath the truck from the pass frame rail. Opened up the hood, and noticed the power steering reservoir had leaked from the cap all over itself, When I opened the cap it was a bubbly frothy mass of oil.

Anyone have this happen and can tell me what parts need replacing? Also, where to get them in the states.

Thanks,
AlexD

Alex, are you sure the fluid level is/was OK? Doesn't frothing fluid mean you're low?

The froth does usually mean its low. I would double check the fluid and bleed the system next.

Well, it was making a horrible groaning noise for a couple days, and this morning, the fluid had spilled from the cap all over the resevoir and the floor, a puddle on the ground like I said.

Now is that the cause of the noise, or the result of some damage to the pump. why would it have spilled everywhere? there should be no pressure to force the fluid out that way?

AlexD

Are you sure the cap on the reservoir was on all the way? (They have that "not quite on" stage, for checking the level.) Is it possible it was leaking out over time, and eventually got low enough to cause problems and froth up?

Also, can't it froth up when overheated? Maybe the leak was from yesterday, when you got home? After a day's driving at low level, maybe it frothed up and leaked? Are you sure there isn't a leak elsewhere?

And, are you using PS fluid, or Dexron ATF fluid?

Well, I have not added anything to it so far, what is the correct fluid?

I have only had it a couple months, the level was fine before, and there were no leaks a couple days ago, and I have not opened it since I bought it.
I have a 3 mile commmute, the frothing was from 10minutes of idle.

I want to add fluid and see what happens, what is safe to add?

AlexD

The groaning noise is typical for fluid cavitation or foaming. Fill it up again with the engine running and turn the wheels lock to lock several times. You will know that you have all the air out when the fluid level does not rise after you shut the engine off. Then check for proper operation and leaks.

Toyotas (at least mine) use ATF for PS fluid.

...started her up today in the 5 degree F morning and I noticed it was making a little noise, sounded MAYBE like the power steering...I shut it down and was going to drive the other car when I noticed oil underneath the truck from the pass frame rail. Opened up the hood, and noticed the power steering reservoir had leaked from the cap all over itself...

The groaning noise is typical for fluid cavitation or foaming. Fill it up again with the engine running and turn the wheels lock to lock several times. You will know that you have all the air out when the fluid level does not rise after you shut the engine off. Then check for proper operation and leaks.

I have identical symptoms in my '82 with factory PS. Groaning started yesterday with a cold start in 15 degree temp. Today, more groaning and PS (AT) fluid all over the top of the reservoir and leaking down to the floor. It's too damn cold to investigate further today but I'll try Pin Head's suggestion when it warms up.

Is there any reason this would be connected to cold weather? Would you still suspect cavitation if there's no obvious foaming?

Is there any reason this would be connected to cold weather? Would you still suspect cavitation if there's no obvious foaming?
I think the system must be pretty sensitive to temp, the reason for the hot and cold readings on the dipstick. I know my 80 usually starts wining until it's warmed up when it gets really cold, I always top it off as soon as I hear it. Probably would have prevented your overflow had you caught it, but hind sight is always 20/20 ;) I'd help you bleed the system if it wasn't 20 degrees out and the driveway covered in snow -

Tucker

Yeah, I wonder what the performance differences are between ATF and power steering fluid and why Toyota decided to use ATF in the PS system.

;) I'd help you bleed the system if it wasn't 20 degrees out and the driveway covered in snow -

Tucker

It's up to 29 degrees. That's t-shirt weather. I'll be right over. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom