Leaking from shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone help me? I'm new to the 95 TLC. I got rid of my 2000 4Runner and got the 95 a few months ago. I started noticing a green and black oil like dip on my garage floor. At first I thought it was the Diff leaking at the nut... but after getting under there I discovered that it was coming from a shaft up top. I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff but I was hoping that someone could help. Can't figure out how to attach a pic in the thread.....? Cool... figured it out!

Last edited:
From the pic it looks like a leak at the pinion seal.

As long as the flange is not grooved, it is an easy fix, if you have proper tools. (impact wrench and large socket)

The job requires removing at least half the driveshaft, removing the staked pinion nut (an impact wrench makes this much easier) and removing the seal (I normally use a screwdriver).

Probably best left to a professional, if you aren't sure of your abilities.

Also, the fact that the stain is greenish likely means that your gear oil is contaminated with grease from the knuckles, as gear oil is not normally green. I would drain and refill the front diff.- and start reading up on and planning for a knuckle rebuild (worn axle seals inside the knuckle are the reason for this grease contamination.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I took it to Toyota and the said the Tunion seals needed to be replaced... is that the same thing as the pinion seal? They quoted close to $900 to do it... seems over priced. I do have all the tools... maybe I should try.

Pinion seal and trunion seals are not the same. The pinion is the part of the differential that rotates. The drive shaft (propeller shaft) is bolted to the pinion flange (companion flange). In the picture you can see one bolt slightly hidden by the rod (Tie Rod Assembly). To the left of the bolt is "dust deflector" that protects the bearings. Inside the diff in front of the bearing / race is an oil seal.

This is probably a $10 part, but there is some labour involved to replace it. Maybe 2 hours max.

I believe that the trunion bearings are in the steering knuckle. That complete job, for both sides and all of the seals is labour intensive. I'm not an expert, but if your mechanic told you that you need a trunion bearing replaced from that picture... you need to find a better mechanic. Although I'm only going on what I can see in the picture.

I'm so glad this forum exists. Appreciate all the discussion on my problem. I kind of knew by reading a few blogs on the net that I probably had worn axle seals inside the knuckle, hence the reason for this grease contamination. As far as the pinion seal, at the time I took it to Toyota, that wasn't evidencing any problem. That just started happening over a month ago. I really want to do the job myself or find a qualified mechanic that I can trust to do the job right... and won't rob me. Here is another pic that gives a better description. Thanks for all the info. From this pic... I notice that I might have another leak on the driver's side.... hmmm... power steering???
P1020773.JPG

You can do your pinion seal yourself if you are confident about it. Really not that bad. I did the birfs and rotors/calipers/pads this weekend and it really didnt bother me. The fact it was fubared did, but thats another story. I would start by replacing your pinion seal and then cleaning the undercariage good to trace your other leak. Then when youve got a free weekend and a buddy tear into the birf project.

By all the discussion, I can probably do the Pinion seal myself, but just in case, is there anywhere I can possibly download a copy of THIS particular project. I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom