Leak out of rear diff head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys on my last outing to the sand dunes here in NZ i noticed a noise reversing up a slight inclination in the sand, had a check under the truck and sure enough the rear diff has a leak at the head where the shaft goes in, will add pictures in hopes that may show what i'm trying to explain.
(newish to working on my own 80)

Also another lesser issue, at around 95-100km/h i get a slight wobble through the steeri ng wheel, have 33" BFG KM2's with 2 inch EFS lift (have not fitted castor corrected bushes yet, doing those next week), the garage that fitted them only balanced the front ones and not the rear, is that normal ?

All help very much appreciated.

43704644_1942278262741860_471434838977544192_n.jpg
43712961_571195763294718_6480942939122958336_n.jpg

That is a leaking pinion seal at minimum. Could also mean the the bearing preload is not set properly, requiring possible crush sleeve, bearing replacement and deeper. Have a pro check it out before it gets worse.

That is a leaking pinion seal at minimum. Could also mean the the bearing preload is not set properly, requiring possible crush sleeve, bearing replacement and deeper. Have a pro check it out before it gets worse.

Okay thanks mate will seek professional help!

By the looks of the oil on the spring and shock in the back of the picture, that thing is leaking bad. I would check to be sure you have oil still in it before you drive it any more.

Taking into my mechanic tomorrow, brought some degree castor correctors I'll get him to fit for me as I don't have a hydraulic press handy, will get him to have a good look through all my uni joints bearings etc also so if anything else needs immediate attention!

I would not call that leaking badly. It takes an incredibly small amount of oil to coat everything under your truck. I second checking the breather. I've replaced both the pinion and one of the hub seals, found the plugged breather after the fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom