Leaf Spring Center Pin Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was attempting to put shims on my front leaf springs to correct the castor and I ran into an issue. On the first spring, I put clamps on it and removed the old center pin. It was very difficult to remove. Then when I tried to put the new one in with the shim, I couldn't get it in. Upon inspection, it looks like one or more of the leafs have shifted so the hole isn't straight.

Can i just drill out the hole to make it straight? Is there something wrong with my springs?

Thanks for the help!!

Can't you use a small sledge to coax the springs back into alignment, while you work the pin in?

I'm no spring chicken and I really don't know, but I would definitely stay away from drilling the hole larger... Unless the new pin is actually larger...

I agree that i probably don't want to drill the hole bigger if i want to use the same size pin. This has me thinking - can I just untie the whole spring pack, work a longer pin in by shifting the leafs around, tie it all back together and then cut the pin off where I need to?

slowly loosen the clamps. Realign loose leaves with a long bolt. re-clamp. replace long bolt with center pin.

i always c clamp the springs together when removing the pin keeps the hole lined up

Drive a long tapered punch thru there and the holes will line up. May need to loosen clamps a bit. John

Thank you jcj! That helps a lot!! I'll try that tomorrow.

Something I forgot to mention...
If use an "all thread" bolt, Use can use a nut and washer to compress the spring pack. Just go slow. Install and tighten your clamps as you go for safety.

I followed jcj's suggestions and got it done. Pulled the other side spring and this time securely clamped the springs. Center bolt came out and it's all still aligned. I'm now off to the store to get a new center bolt. I stripped the first one trying to force it through.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually used all of them in one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom