FJ40 Center Pin Spacers (Leaf Springs) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at reinstalling my OME Springs and I noticed that the hole in the Axle Perch mount is much larger than the head on the OME Center Pin. Is that normal?

I saw that CrusierOutfitters mentioned a center bolt spacer for the FJ62. Does anyone know if you need something like that with an FJ 40? Shouldn’t the pin sit tight in the hole?

Late model FJ60's and all FJ62's came from the factory with a rubber/steel spring isolator assembly that cupped the rear leaf spring between the spring pack and the axle housing. This was done to remove slight road vibrations with the stock springs. This setup is not used when installing an Old Man Emu suspension setup and thus is removed all together. If equipped, the spring center pin holes on the axle's spring perch will have an inside dimension of approximately 1", however the new springs (and old springs too) have a pin outside diameter of approximately 1/2". This gap was taken up by the old spring isolator. By using the center bolt spacers (1/2" tall piece of tube with a 1/2" ID and a 1" OD), that gap is eliminated and you can accurately position your axle.”

I have one of the front Springs off. The hole measures .637”. I was under the impression the center pin is supposed to fit tightly or snug in the perch hole ? Yes?

I think your way over thinking this. Leaf springs are an old and antiquated system. The pin locates the axle on the spring. The ubolts lock the axle to the spring. I don't use spring center pins any more, I've had too many failures off road. I prefer SHCS, they are much stronger, I've never had one break.

So you are referring to Hex bolts. I did find a M8 1.25 hex bolt made from stainless steel. A2-70 I believe. Is that good ?

That’s pretty awesome. I’m surprised Kurt doesn’t sell something like this. I’m not sure if anyone else thinks it’s big deal or not.

I don’t have the drill press to drill out a bushing. I’d have to find someone to do that.

That’s pretty awesome. I’m surprised Kurt doesn’t sell something like this. I’m not sure if anyone else thinks it’s big deal or not.

I don’t have the drill press to drill out a bushing. I’d have to find someone to do that.

A drill press makes it easier but it could be done with a hand drill and a small vise.

What are SHCS?

Yes, Socket head cap screws. Spring pins generally for a 40 are ussually 5/16 or 3/8 diameter and fine thread and fully threaded. You can purchase them at most A/P stores. They are usually really long so you can assemble the leaves and tighten the nut to compress the leaves. Once the nut is tight you cut the excess of the pin off. SHCS are alloy and stronger than a spring pin. To Adapt them is a little tricky because their length will be as thick as your spring packs. You need to use C clamps the hold the springs together, remove the pin and use a shcs long enuff to go thru the spring pack with a Grade 5+ nut. Internal threads are stronger than external threads. As for the slop of the spring pin and perch, keep in mind there's a U bolt plate on the bottom of the spring with a hole in the center of it, which locates on the pins nut. Then there's 2 U bolts which clamps the axle to the spring.

Yes, Socket head cap screws. Spring pins generally for a 40 are ussually 5/16 or 3/8 diameter and fine thread and fully threaded. You can purchase them at most A/P stores. They are usually really long so you can assemble the leaves and tighten the nut to compress the leaves. Once the nut is tight you cut the excess of the pin off. SHCS are alloy and stronger than a spring pin. To Adapt them is a little tricky because their length will be as thick as your spring packs. You need to use C clamps the hold the springs together, remove the pin and use a shcs long enuff to go thru the spring pack with a Grade 5+ nut. Internal threads are stronger than external threads. As for the slop of the spring pin and perch, keep in mind there's a U bolt plate on the bottom of the spring with a hole in the center of it, which locates on the pins nut. Then there's 2 U bolts which clamps the axle to the spring.
What do you mean by “Internal threads are stronger than external threads.”

I think he is refering to the cap screw pin being of harder material than the grade 5 nut.
I have seen the harder material screws break/shear.

I think he is refering to the cap screw pin being of harder material than the grade 5 nut.
I have seen the harder material screws break/shear.
Really? So you recommend staying with the softer OEM center pin? Seems like I was seeing people recommending going to the harder bolt. Hard to decide what to do.

When I used to work for a fastener company, the recommendation was, When using a Grade 5 bolt the standard was to use a Grade 2 nut. Grade 8 bolt use a Grade 5 nut. There's no problem using the same Grade nut and bolt. It's easier to strip or distort the threads of a bolt than a nut, barring cross threading. When a bolt strips the problem is the bolts' material is left in the threads of the nut.

I dont know diff from OEM or others, I will say that of alot of center pins changed/replaced I can't say I have seen/recall different size heads on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom