LCP- Land Cruiser Product testing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
We are on the 2nd design Rock Rails and needed some real time testing on the newer design.

2nd design changes - Now 1.75dia .090 thickness welded end caps

Find a big rock that is taller then the rails - looks good
IMG_3136.JPG

Jump on top of it

IMG_3140.JPG

Slide down the Rock Rail and get hung up a little on the control arm

IMG_3141.JPG

A little skinny pedal and off the rock with no damage to the Rock Rail but a little paint missing on the rail and the control arm.

IMG_3146.JPG

Test condition were warm outside but with the new Aux fan set up the inside was nice and cool.

IMG_3171.JPG

Last edited:
I think a cool real world test would be lifting up one side of the vehicle with a hi-lift. Get two wheels off the ground! Would show people these are sturdy enough

Feeling all that lets give it a go the other way. Up on it no problem.

IMG_3151.JPG

On the control arm bracket and tire off the ground - More interesting than the other way

IMG_3155.JPG

Apply skinny pedal now on the Rock Rail and high centered:(

IMG_3156.JPG

Assessed the situation - due to the heat more skinny pedal is worth a try. No go time for the winch. :(

IMG_3158.JPG

Winched off with no problem but lots of metal contact:eek:
Rock Rail did there job! A little bending on the front control bracket, no issue. Damage on the slee belly pan:crybaby: but it did do its job. Will look into beefing up the lip in the future.

IMG_3164.JPG

Test condition were too hot to be winching but I was glad to have it. The 80 spent some time sitting with the AC full blast as I rigged up winch. You can see by the scan gauge heat soak was in full swing but the AC continued to blow cold and water temp stay under control.
IMG_3176.JPG

Jump on the freeway and temp come down super quick along with intake temps.

IMG_3179.JPG

Long hill up ahead

IMG_3182.JPG

Set cruise control and let 2nd gear do its thing

IMG_3184.JPG

Top of the hill temp results
Notice GPH at 4200rpm:eek:

IMG_3185.JPG

I think a cool real world test would be lifting up one side of the vehicle with a hi-lift. Get two wheels off the ground! Would show people these are sturdy enough

Rails are too far under for a Hi-Lift. I did do the fork lift on the original prototype Rails made from 1" EMT electrical conduit (.063 wall). The Rails now are made from 1.75 .090. I have no doubt they will support the vehicle weight. The real question would be if someone slams down hard what will happen. Something I dont suggest. I crushed the .063 conduit prototype after getting hit hard with no body damage. But remember these were not designed for the hard core guy and offer no side protection nor are they meant to be on the same level as a slee, metal tech or the likes. This for the guy that want to protect the pinch weld and bottom of the rockers from damage and have 2-3 inches more clearance than the guy with heavy duty sliders. It is my belief that the test 80 would not have made the first pass with low hanging heavy duty sliders.

Are you running like 60 psi in those pictures

Yes embarrassing enough.
Anyone that knows me knows Im the first to air down with any contact of dirt. Today Im guilty I wasnt planning on wheeling being 115° I just pulled over to drain it. I dont thing the outcome would of been different given the condition. If I would of did my normal air down to 14psi I would of been much lower, yes.

Well done! What happened to the other design we talked about?

If it were cheap enoughm I'd buy As. A base and add rails as needed, I'd buy then

Well done! What happened to the other design we talked about?

Not forgotten hopefully in a month but no plans offering it to others. When are you back in town, you are missing the warm weather.

Not forgotten hopefully in a month but no plans offering it to others. When are you back in town, you are missing the warm weather.

If I get back out there this year it won't be until December. Otherwise it will be late winter or early spring next year. Not a whole lot going on right now.

I've been after a fab guy here in town to do some rocker skins from 3/16" that would just attach at the pinch weld and come up almost to the door threshold, but neither one of us can figure out how to make them for less than a zillion bucks. I like your idea of tube under the rocker itself. Got a link w/ more pics? I'd like to see how you're attaching them.

Your DS front tire has an insane amount of weight on it. Make the tire shop spin that tire 180* on that wheel & it should cut out about 3/4's of that weight! That's just someone being lazy & is unacceptable.

Your DS front tire has an insane amount of weight on it. Make the tire shop spin that tire 180* on that wheel & it should cut out about 3/4's of that weight! That's just someone being lazy & is unacceptable.

They were road forced when new:rolleyes:...I was not happy with the weight but no other tires were available and was promised if I had a problem that tire would be replaced. That was 20K miles ago and they have only been balanced once since new.:meh:

They were road forced when new:rolleyes:...I was not happy with the weight but no other tires were available and was promised if I had a problem that tire would be replaced. That was 20K miles ago and they have only been balanced once since new.:meh:
It's not a tire problem, it's an installer problem! I grew up in a tire shop & have seen it all. Sorry for hijacking your thread.:cheers:

It's not a tire problem, it's an installer problem! I grew up in a tire shop & have seen it all. Sorry for hijacking your thread.:cheers:
You must not be familiar with Hunter Road Force balancer it addresses the very problem you sighted.

Hi-jack what's that

You must not be familiar with Hunter Road Force balancer it addresses the very problem you sighted.

Hi-jack what's that
I know exactly what a Hunter road force machine is. Doesn't mean the tech still did what he was supposed to. Watched Discount tire w/my Hankooks on a Hunter. Put 15" of weights on them. THEN I told them to turn the tire 180* on the wheel & ended up w/less than 2" of weights. It's not up to the Hunter if the weight or tire is installed correctly, but it is a damn fine machine w/somebody using it that gives a s***. Most tire techs suck regardless of their equipt. They just want to get to the next vehicle. Btw, I like your new rails!

^this. I witnessed this on the install of my AT2s. Luckily one of the other techs saw this yardstick of weights that the tech on my tire was about to put on and he showed him what needed to be done before I could even say anything.

I know exactly what a Hunter road force machine is. Doesn't mean the tech still did what he was supposed to. Watched Discount tire w/my Hankooks on a Hunter. Put 15" of weights on them. THEN I told them to turn the tire 180* on the wheel & ended up w/less than 2" of weights. It's not up to the Hunter if the weight or tire is installed correctly, but it is a damn fine machine w/somebody using it that gives a s***. Most tire techs suck regardless of their equipt. They just want to get to the next vehicle. Btw, I like your new rails!

I use the dealership and the guys are trained by Hunter. Im the dick that stands there when they mount my tires. I also understand tire mounting and balancing and the tire was rotated, it was worst before they turned the tire.

I have the installer wipe the bead clean before they set the tire. I mark my valve stem because I have problems rotated tires on the rim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom