Events/Trails LCDC8 Official Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super excited for my first LCDC, just passed the technician test to get my HAM license and just waiting for my call sign! It wasnt as bad as I thought and I plan on going for my general HAM license after LCDC.

I’ve installed seat covers so im looking to sell/swap these Canvasback 2nd row seat carpet covers in black if anyone is interested otherwise I’ll put them up in the classifieds. You’ll need to buy some Velcro strips as they might not adhere to the carpet as well without it.

E0738466-3335-466F-8C9A-2CC2282F409C.jpeg

The frequencies will be in place soon (tomorrow?) in an email update along with any other loose ends.
Radios programmed! Thanks!

✋ low-lander asking for advice on how to mitigate and treat altitude sickness.

I spend lots of time above 5K feet here in Washington without issue, but 10K+ is another ballgame. I get into Breck Sunday morning and my first trail Tuesday will be Mosquito pass with @linuxgod . Other than acclimation and staying hydrated, what else? Do the compressed air canisters work? Everything I read say that they are ~25% oxygen at best.
I live at 9500. Staying at 9600 @ Breck. Will I be OK ? ;)

Anyone know if there’s another public campground near Dillon Lake that has water? Just got a notice from Recreation.gov that there’s no water at Prospector Campground starting today until October. I really don’t want to haul 350# of water all the way from Chicago. Also I will need to fill up when we leave (and dump… somewhere) as the next campground doesn’t have water at all…

819324AA-CA68-4BEA-98EF-326CA47B1535.jpeg

I saw that. I am filling up at home which is what I normally do even when there is water at the campground. Just personal preference. I don't know of any place to fill up. Since it is all flat land from Chicago to Denver, shouldn't be a big drag carrying water from home.

Sorry, not what you are looking for

I saw that. I am filling up at home which is what I normally do even when there is water at the campground. Just personal preference. I don't know of any place to fill up. Since it is all flat land from Chicago to Denver, shouldn't be a big drag carrying water from home.

Sorry, not what you are looking for
Cool I’ll just swing by your place on my way… ;)

Worst case we can usually find an RV park where we can dump and fill for $10-20, I just hate trying to search for something if we get there in the evening

I can haul water if need be, and we usually keep 5 gallons or so in the fresh tank on the drive for washing dishes and using the toilet but I find 45 gallons sloshes around more than I’d like so I try not to haul fresh water too far if I can avoid it

Just got a notice from Recreation.gov that there’s no water at Prospector Campground starting today until October.
We got a notice from recreation.gov with the same water issue regarding Lowry Campground. Don’t plan on moving to that campground either. Ken

Maybe this will help you
Thanks. Looks like there might be an option in Frisco nearby

Also right now Heaton Bay and Peak One campgrounds around the lake do NOT have the "no water available" warning. Not sure if it's just not posted yet but I may try them first because they're free and then try the Upper Blue Sanitation District site next if that fails... it's worth the $10 not to haul 350# of water 1200 miles.

Tuesday July 26, 2022 8:00am - 6:00pm MDT
Breckenridge Airport Skier Parking Lot 1700 Airport Rd, Breckenridge, CO 80424, USA
Trail - Moderate
  • Tire Recommendation AT/MT
  • Recommended for Beginners No
  • Sliders Recommended Yes
  • Good for Stock Trucks Yes
  • 2m/FRS 147.540 / 19
Wednesday July 27, 2022 8:00am - 6:00pm MDT
Breckenridge Airport Skier Parking Lot 1700 Airport Rd, Breckenridge, CO 80424, USA
Trail - Difficult
  • Good for Stock Trucks No
  • 2m/FRS 146.570 / 3

Thursday July 28, 2022 8:00am - 6:00pm MDT
Trail - Moderate
  • Good for Stock Trucks Yes
  • 2m/FRS 146.530 / 1

I would recommend OnX Offroad. Good search function and the information is pretty reliable. Also the ability to download maps at different resolutions is really simple to use. I think they were a sponsor last year. Not sure about this year. Pretty sure most of the trails are on there, I know Red Cone and a few others are for sure.
At least for CO and UT I'm a pretty big fan of TrailsOffroad, it's like a modern digital Funtreks with detailed waypoint information etc. Definitely worth checking out.

✋ low-lander asking for advice on how to mitigate and treat altitude sickness.

I spend lots of time above 5K feet here in Washington without issue, but 10K+ is another ballgame. I get into Breck Sunday morning and my first trail Tuesday will be Mosquito pass with @linuxgod . Other than acclimation and staying hydrated, what else? Do the compressed air canisters work? Everything I read say that they are ~25% oxygen at best.
Like others have mentioned hydration goes a long ways. Not to get too much in your head, but keep in mind you're talking a few elevation changes here...

~5k for Denver
~9k for Breckenridge
~11-13k for many of the peaks and trails

Your drive will help acclimate you - if you get the opportunity to stay in Moab etc and ease into some of the elevation that won't hurt.

Acclimating to Breck isn't bad and just make sure to hydrate

the Peaks are a different story and honestly just take it easy. Even for 'non-flatlanders' that is high elevation. I was just at 11k+ and you feel it just walking a little ways. Take it easy during breaks on the trail and keep hydrating.

I can't speak to the asthma dimension, but if it's a strong concern it may be worth discussing with your doctor as well.

I took the liberty of setting up a shared folder with an organized folder structure for folks to upload their photos and video from the event if they want to share. There are folders for opening and closing nights as well as for each trail (with sub-folders for each days run). I also included folders for getting to LCDC and going home. One best practice might be to upload your content to a folder with your name. For instance in the Red Cone folder under Tuesday, I would create a folder called "Matt - TheGrrrrr" and put my photos from Tuesday's run in there.

I think in past years this is something that has come together after the event, so I figured I would get ahead of the game.

I've upgraded my storage to accommodate a ton of data, but if you have any issues let me know and I should be able to get them resolved quickly.

We made a speed run from VT to MN in the last 30 hours, nonstop. Stopped at a KOA for the night. Hitting the Badlands NP tomorrow, and then will have some time to explore and acclimate before the event starts. Any must see stuff in Northern Colorado that we could hit before LCDC?

We made a speed run from VT to MN in the last 30 hours, nonstop. Stopped at a KOA for the night. Hitting the Badlands NP tomorrow, and then will have some time to explore and acclimate before the event starts. Any must see stuff in Northern Colorado that we could hit before LCDC?
Not fully northern CO but RMNP if you have time.

Lol I didn’t plan as well as y’all. I’m cannonball-running from Seattle to SLC Saturday and then to Breck on Sunday. I should have planned for a stop in Moab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom