LC250 Mechanical Sound (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota I-4s do sound like crap. It's an economy-car, unbalanced, I-4 sound. Although, the power delivery etc. is actually very smooth/linear. The Toyota hybrid low-speed noise isn't unpleasant, but not something I'd want to be listening driving 3 mph thru a rock garden. Hopefully, as others have indicated, the 250 won't have a EV-only mode and won't have this sound (and if it does, maybe it'd be locked out in 4-LO).

IMO the only 6-cylinders that sound good are inline or flat, and the only 4-cylinders that sound good are the EJ series Subaru 4s. Everything else is uninspiring and not something I really enjoy to hear (even if it's not "bad" or annoying).

Not sure I understand the comments on the UZ and UR not sounding good - both are very nice sounding engines. The UZ sounds a bit different than a domestic V8 (not as rowdy), which I attribute to how well-balanced and engineered the engine is. I love the sound of mine. If sound is important, snag a late-model GX or lightly-used 200.

the only 4-cylinders that sound good are the EJ series Subaru 4s. Everything else is uninspiring and not something I really enjoy to hear
V4s sound amazing, though you're not going to find too many in 4 wheel vehicles, and none in the past few decades. I have several, but my favorite is my Tuono with Akra exhaust. Not my video, but same.
Tuono

Its hybrid whisper is really throaty.

Y'all can hear your engines? What's that like? I routinely forget I have a V8 under the hood.

How does one forget they have a V8 under the hood? My Tundra lets me know every morning I start it up with the throaty grumble and mash the skinny pedal...kind of like an old man getting up and getting his first cup of coffee.

I admit I will miss that with all the changes to FI and hybrid setups.

I guess we all have different ideas of what sounds good. I would be thrilled to have something new from yota/lex that sounds like my 2003 4Runner Sport Edition V8 (4.7L) did.
My 5.7 Tundra with TRD exhaust and my 4.7 Sequoia with Magnaflow are what trucks should sound like. End of story.

How does one forget they have a V8 under the hood?
I admit I will miss that with all the changes to FI and hybrid setups.
F1 has been running hybrids for quite a few years already. They still sound great. If you meant “fuel injection”, well I got nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom