"Lateral" suspension travel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Needing some assistance in figuring out what part of the suspension needs replacement - I don't have a good shop near me that can figure it out.

Set up - 13 LC, Toughdog adjustable suspension lift (replaced rears with Dobinsons to address this issue), aux 40gal tank

Rig rode really good until a few months ago it started having what feels like lateral movement in the suspension or rather uneven side to side movement when hitting bumps. After inspection I noticed that one of the adjuster knobs on the rear driver shock had broken off and the rear on the at side seemed to bounce more than the pass side when jumping on the back of the truck so it seemed like maybe the shock was blown out. I replaced the rear shocks with some Dobinsons MRR's. This made the issue a little better but there is still something wrong.

When going 50mph+ and hitting say a bump in the interstate caused by a bridge beginning or ended the truck seems to bounce laterally instead of just front to back. As if the shock dampening on the front pass side and rear driver side is much less than the front driver/rear passenger. I know this description is a little ambiguous but idk how else to describe it. I have adjusted both the rear and front shocks and while it helps slightly to increase compression it still has the same side-to-side movement at higher speeds.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Have you done a panhard correction with your added lift? Changing the panhard angle will definitely cause some tail-wagging.

Here is the most popular correction option: Panhard Correction Kits - https://eimkeith.com/buystuff/pck/#200

Ok I came across this detail but wasn’t sure - the truck seemed to ride fine after the lift but then got worse recently over the course of a couple months so I thought it was something that got worn out rather than an angle out of whack thing.
Even if there is something else going on this addition should def help so I’m gonna get it ordered - thanks!

Ok I came across this detail but wasn’t sure - the truck seemed to ride fine after the lift but then got worse recently over the course of a couple months so I thought it was something that got worn out rather than an angle out of whack thing.
Even if there is something else going on this addition should def help so I’m gonna get it ordered - thanks!

It could definitely be other issues, I would visually inspect all of your control arm bushings, ball joints etc.

Fundamentally this is a problem with suspension geometry and toe steer. Meaning as the suspension cycles, compresses and extends, the axle deflects side to side along with warp type motions that steer the rear of the truck.

They are related in that when the shocks were working, it better controlled and minimized suspension cycling and effectively masked the rear lateral motions.

Long way to say that @tbisaacs is right and a panhard correction kit will go a long ways to fixing this.

Fundamentally this is a problem with suspension geometry and toe steer. Meaning as the suspension cycles, compresses and extends, the axle deflects side to side along with warp type motions that steer the rear of the truck.

They are related in that when the shocks were working, it better controlled and minimized suspension cycling and effectively masked the rear lateral motions.

Long way to say that @tbisaacs is right and a panhard correction kit will go a long ways to fixing this.

Thanks for the explanation- that makes sense, as the shocks aged it just became much more apparent.
Any other no brainers I should get done along with the Panhard correction?

I found this thread about panhard corrections to be an educational read.

Post #9 links to a good video that taught me a bit about the lateral movement.

Edit: And if you skip to the end you will see that there is a good bolt-on solution.

I found this thread about panhard corrections to be an educational read.

Post #9 links to a good video that taught me a bit about the lateral movement.

Edit: And if you skip to the end you will see that there is a good bolt-on solution.

Thanks for the link - that video showing the arc finally let it click in my head what was going on.

Also - is that a golden doodle in your profile pic?

Thanks for the link - that video showing the arc finally let it click in my head what was going on.

Also - is that a golden doodle in your profile pic?
Yeah, that video is pretty helpful. Helped me sorta understand.
One question it made me think of, maybe one of you guys who knows more can help, but why isn’t a panhard drop bracket like that a regular part of a suspension lift? Seems like they have been around for a long time for other vehicles. Why are people designing them for the LC 200’s only now?

And my boy, Ajax, is half Giant Schnauzer half German wire haired pointed (as per two independent DNA tests.) We got him from a poodle rescue group thinking he had some poodle… but not so.
He’s absolutely wonderful… but man Giant Schnauzers are a handful. The greatest dog I have ever hiked and camped with. But lots of work in a city. He’s 6 and still hasn’t found his maturity yet.
Thanks for asking about him!

Yeah, that video is pretty helpful. Helped me sorta understand.
One question it made me think of, maybe one of you guys who knows more can help, but why isn’t a panhard drop bracket like that a regular part of a suspension lift? Seems like they have been around for a long time for other vehicles. Why are people designing them for the LC 200’s only now?

And my boy, Ajax, is half Giant Schnauzer half German wire haired pointed (as per two independent DNA tests.) We got him from a poodle rescue group thinking he had some poodle… but not so.
He’s absolutely wonderful… but man Giant Schnauzers are a handful. The greatest dog I have ever hiked and camped with. But lots of work in a city. He’s 6 and still hasn’t found his maturity yet.
Thanks for asking about him!
Well that’s sort of why I never thought of it Panhard bar - because I ASSumed that if it was a big deal then lifts would be coming with them or at least make one for purchase.

Good looking dog - I’ve got a black golden doodle that looks like his twin. Best, most laid back dog I’ve ever had.

but why isn’t a panhard drop bracket like that a regular part of a suspension lift? Seems like they have been around for a long time for other vehicles. Why are people designing them for the LC 200’s only now?

Right? I've been a proponent of it for a long time but it hasn't been readily available for the 200-series as a turn key part. Weird as there's bajillion of UCAs on the market while the rear axle never got any love.

I had this same concern and symptoms with my 200 and my 3" lift. I installed @eimkeith 's Panhard bar relocation bracket and the problem is COMPLETELY gone. I was amazed by the outcome of such a simple solution. I HIGHLY recommend!

I had this same concern and symptoms with my 200 and my 3" lift. I installed @eimkeith 's Panhard bar relocation bracket and the problem is COMPLETELY gone. I was amazed by the outcome of such a simple solution. I HIGHLY recommend!

Man that’s great to hear - thanks for chiming in, I’ve already got it on order so I’ll just hold off on anything else until I get that thing installed and hopefully that’ll straighten things out.

Man that’s great to hear - thanks for chiming in, I’ve already got it on order so I’ll just hold off on anything else until I get that thing installed and hopefully that’ll straighten things out.
Just a Ninja, and @SnowSquatch
Can you say why you went with Eimkeith’s solution rather than the bolt-on one? The latter seems easier to deal with.

All,
Are there any drawbacks to doing this panhard correction?

(This is somewhat of a rewording of the same question I posed above about why are these attachments only being designed now. If it’s all upside, it beggars the mind why the companies making the lifts don’t, and haven’t for years, offered these attachments as part of standard lift kits. )

Just a Ninja, and @SnowSquatch
Can you say why you went with Eimkeith’s solution rather than the bolt-on one? The latter seems easier to deal with.

All,
Are there any drawbacks to doing this panhard correction?

(This is somewhat of a rewording of the same question I posed above about why are these attachments only being designed now. If it’s all upside, it beggars the mind why the companies making the lifts don’t, and haven’t for years, offered these attachments as part of standard lift kits. )
Weld in was just 100 bones and to my knowledge the bolt ins are closer to 200. As a new dad that has most of his money to go towards babysiitter, diapers and baby formula every penny matters! And I have a welder and enough confidence to give it a good hot weld that should hold for the rest of the life of the truck. And as far as downsides at the moment i really cant find or imagine there being any. It was an absolute no brainer for me. especially after feeling how the truck performs after I installed the bracket.

And to be completely honest thats a great question as I too think the comanies building these lift kits should really consider this as part of their kits or at least offer it with it. If someone chooses to not buy it thats on them but it would be very beneficial in my opinion to be transparent on this being a vital part of the truck remaining geometrically as close to stock as possible to maintain a good ride quality on the highway.

Weld in was just 100 bones and to my knowledge the bolt ins are closer to 200. As a new dad that has most of his money to go towards babysiitter, diapers and baby formula every penny matters! And I have a welder and enough confidence to give it a good hot weld that should hold for the rest of the life of the truck.
Ah! Say no more. Being able to do the welding yourself certainly changes the equation.

Ah! Say no more. Being able to do the welding yourself certainly changes the equation.
Same here - I didn’t even know it existed until this thread so I just hopped on it and have a welder so can just burn it on there pretty easily.

Right? I've been a proponent of it for a long time but it hasn't been readily available for the 200-series as a turn key part. Weird as there's bajillion of UCAs on the market while the rear axle never got any love.

UCAs are higher profit margin and way more bling than a cheap, boring bracket...

UCAs are higher profit margin and way more bling than a cheap, boring bracket...

Sad right? But boy is that simple bracket key to making a rig handle with over a 2" lift. It's hard to overstate that until installing and noting the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom