Lateral change on deceleration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie both to the forum and to the 100 series. Just purchased a 2000 LX 470 with AHC and 323k miles. She runs beautifully, she has some imperfections due to age such as some leaks that will be dealt with soon, torn CV boots (not clicking but will replace. The one issue that is keeping me from even driving her is when I accelerate the steering appears to center and drive “fine”, when I coasting the steering feels lose and the steering wheel goes right but the truck keeps tracking “straight”. Don’t know if this is the “sloppy steering” issues I have read in other post. I just had new stock size tires installed and it did not improve. I had the wife turn the steering and observed the rack I did not observe any movement in the rack. Before start loading the credit card, and the challenges getting it into a shop right now with the corona chaos, wanted to get some opinions from experienced LC gurus. Appreciate your suggestions and insight.

I have no experience with what you are dealing with, but I would start by hooking it up to techstream and see what it says about the steering.

Check inner/outer tie rods for play

Check rear suspension links, mainly Panhard bar & upper control arms.

This certainly sounds like a steering rack issue, but reality is it could be a number of things and more information is needed to narrow in on it.

1. Where are the leaks?
2. Has the rack ever been replaced?
3. If the rack has been replaced; when was that done?
4. Has the suspension or steering been serviced? What was done and when?

What is your mechanical ability, and more importantly what is your interest in doing work yourself vs a shop?

I have no experience with what you are dealing with, but I would start by hooking it up to techstream and see what it says about the steering.
Techstream won't say anything on a 2000 about steering, unfortunately

I'd bet money there is a bad tie rod end, probably with a sloppy alignment aggravating the condition.

This certainly sounds like a steering rack issue, but reality is it could be a number of things and more information is needed to narrow in on it.

1. Where are the leaks?
2. Has the rack ever been replaced?
3. If the rack has been replaced; when was that done?
4. Has the suspension or steering been serviced? What was done and when?

What is your mechanical ability, and more importantly what is your interest in doing work yourself vs a shop?

It appears to have a leak at the hoses from the reservoir. I have no clue about the history on the suspension can only confirm work done on the motor tbelt pump valve cover gasket. I feel very comfortable working on it and have most of the tools needed. With that being said, I am going to go ahead and take it to a shop that did the state inspection on purchase. They had numerous 4x4 from toyotas to american diesels and get them to inspect it and give me a run down. I have worked on my personal daily’s and corvettes but new to 4x4 drivetrain systems. I’ll update as I get more info the coming weeks. I feel alot better getting yays or nays from this group as I dive deeper. Thanks to all.

Techstream won't say anything on a 2000 about steering, unfortunately

I'd bet money there is a bad tie rod end, probably with a sloppy alignment aggravating the condition.

I think you hit the jackpot. In my hast when we got it I planted in my head the tear was CV axle. Since we are on lockdown went to grease u joints and better inspect. They are the inner tie rods that have torn boots and leaking. At the rear the “trailing arms” have to be replaced the bushings are shot. The rest of the drivetrain except for the known leaks looks good for age. Im sure there is a bushing here and there that could be replaced but not shot yet.

I think you hit the jackpot. In my hast when we got it I planted in my head the tear was CV axle. Since we are on lockdown went to grease u joints and better inspect. They are the inner tie rods that have torn boots and leaking. At the rear the “trailing arms” have to be replaced the bushings are shot. The rest of the drivetrain except for the known leaks looks good for age. Im sure there is a bushing here and there that could be replaced but not shot yet.

correction not trailing arms rear control arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom