Late 80 series drive plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

How much deeper are the later 80 series drive plates? To phrase the question in a different way, how much longer are the later birfields?

Is it true that in 1994 Toyota went to a longer splined birfs because of problems with drive plate wear?

Let's suppose I want to run the later, deeper drive plate on an earlier, shorter birfield, would the tip of the birf still be outside of the drive plate? Thinking I can put a fender washer bolted at the end of the birf.

Dave

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=2;threadid=9871;start=msg87337#msg87337 date=1073623630]
Let's suppose I want to run the later, deeper drive plate on an earlier, shorter birfield, would the tip of the birf still be outside of the drive plate? Thinking I can put a fender washer bolted at the end of the birf.
[/quote]

Your snap ring groove will no longer be usable. Stick with what you got until it breaks, then upgrade. It is likely that what you have will never break.

This is not on an 80 series, just thinking of going full time 4WD on its older cousin such as a 40 or a 60 ;)
Yes, there will be a center diff.

Dave

Oh. In that case I haven't a clue.

It is not possible to mix and match early and late 80 series drive flanges and stub shafts.

It's gotta be short to short or long to long.

D-

Three cheers for Dan and his onboard Cruiser Encyclopedia.

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

I'd like to thank Dan for the perfect opportunity given me by him this early morning to pad my count just a bit. Thanks Dan!

I went with Newfields and they are shorter that the my '94 OEM birfields. I had to get the older '93 flange so I could install the Newfields.
It bolted up just fine.

Good luck with the new fields. Mine lasted about 6 months and exploded at different times. The toyota ones are the best IMHO. They both exploided with little to no outside forces, messed with the ball in the knuckle, I wish I had never tried them. that said the drive plates are .030 different in thickness. Yes drive plates do go and will leave you not spining your wheel at the wrong time. some of the most drive train clunk can be takein out by replacing these plates. If they have lots of slop I think you need to replace them or at least carry a spare for when it gets you. later Robbie

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=9871;start=msg87479#msg87479 date=1073643974]
I went with Newfields and they are shorter that the my '94 OEM birfields. I had to get the older '93 flange so I could install the Newfields.
It bolted up just fine.

[/quote]

Kurt, did you ever try installing the later flange on the Newfield? I'm curious if the tip still sticks out past the flange. I am not trying to run newer flanges on an older 80, I'm considering of making an non-80 cruiser a fulltime 4WD.

Dave

fj40's up till 83 came stock(yes stock, Aisin or Asco locking was an option) with drive plates, which are the same(size wise) as 91-2(at least) DP's. fj40 DP's are more $$ than fj80 DP's, so that why I say use the fj80. But you can still get fj40 DPs. I think the dust caps are cheaper for an 80 then a 40.

I have also considered a full time 40/60/62.

John H

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=2;threadid=9871;start=msg87348#msg87348 date=1073624066]
This is not on an 80 series, just thinking of going full time 4WD on its older cousin such as a 40 or a 60 ;)
Yes, there will be a center diff.

Dave
[/quote]

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=2;threadid=9871;start=msg88246#msg88246 date=1073750454]
Kurt, did you ever try installing the later flange on the Newfield? I'm curious if the tip still sticks out past the flange. I am not trying to run newer flanges on an older 80, I'm considering of making an non-80 cruiser a fulltime 4WD.

Dave
[/quote]

No

[quote author=robbie link=board=2;threadid=9871;start=msg87713#msg87713 date=1073673726]
Good luck with the new fields. Mine lasted about 6 months and exploded at different times. The toyota ones are the best IMHO. They both exploided with little to no outside forces, messed with the ball in the knuckle, I wish I had never tried them. that said the drive plates are .030 different in thickness. Yes drive plates do go and will leave you not spining your wheel at the wrong time. some of the most drive train clunk can be takein out by replacing these plates. If they have lots of slop I think you need to replace them or at least carry a spare for when it gets you. later Robbie
[/quote]

Robbie, When did you have them?
Christo posted that he had some test Newfields that failed. Is that what you had? Are the new ones different than the ones Christo had?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom