Landscape Trailer w/ Liftgate (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I joined this forum because I am baffled.

I have been searching for months on the internet to find information about installing a liftgate (like a Tommygate) onto a landscpe trailer; like a 14' landscape trailer.

I cannot find ANY information about this subject. I can't find any examples, products, forum topics, zilch, nada.

It seems pretty straight forward to me - take a liftgate and bolt/weld it on a trailer.

Ive even talked to custom trailer manufacturers and thier response is "we wont build that."

So I naturally ask "why?"

"Because we wont"

So if you can offer me any information, I would greatly appreciate it. At this point, Im astounded that the subject basically doesnt exist on the internet.

Thanks!!

Forgive me to ask, but what would be the purpose of putting one on?

I think the main reason the answer is no, is because of the problems it would cause by having that much weight on the back when the trailer is empty.

I would expect you would also run into major ground clearance issues as most of the ones I've seen have structural components that are well below deck height even when fully up/ stowed.

Cyberman - there are aluminum alloy versions that only weigh a few hundred lbs.

Barefoot - point taken for "stow under" models, but the only components below deck are electrical wires.

Thanks for the input. These are also points of contention that I had!!

Not sure what you need it for. Assumption would be pallets of stuff? Perhaps a crane mounted up front with stabilizer legs?

Cybaerman - A crane would work, but my focus for this forum thread is to determine why the internet is devoid of information on the subject.

I suspect there is a simple explanation like having to constantly charge the on-board battery for a liftgate, but I cannot find any info on the subject.

Cybaerman - A crane would work, but my focus for this forum thread is to determine why the internet is devoid of information on the subject.

I suspect there is a simple explanation like having to constantly charge the on-board battery for a liftgate, but I cannot find any info on the subject.
Gotcha. Ya, I think it would be the combination of rear weight making the tongue light when empty, the wiring, and the simple fact that the deck isn't that high off the ground. Now, if you were to put 35s on the axle, that would be a different story.
[emoji6]

Cyberman - Those are valid points. However, there are aluminum liftgates, the wiring is a risk but can be done, and there are models that are flush with a truck body.

Thanks for your input!!

Help us out. Why do you figure you need one?

For any number of reasons. I just decided to look into the issue on a whim.

Though now I'm quite frustrated that I cannot find any information.

So here I am.

I don't have any sources, but I'd look at companies that build truck utility boxes, like for the cable/hydro/phone
companies.
Better yet, look to the companies that build the service trucks for big rig tire servicing. That is the most common use
of rear lift gate that I'm aware of.

Like this?? Truck Lift Gates | Hartford Truck

I guess, just could build one, but certainly not for less money than buying one.

I can't think of any reason to do this as trailers are low have a built in ramp generally. To load people put winches up front and pull stuff up the ramp.
If you really had to do it just be absolutely certain that the tongue weight is acceptable when the trailer is unloaded. I'm guessing these two reasons are driving the companies to steer clear of your plan.

You can't find any info because to make it safe would be more trouble than it's worth (that why they won't build that) but it's an interesting idea

Seems you'd need to move the trailer axle almost all the way to the back to make it safe to tow unloaded, and then need a truck with airbags or some serious suspension for when it is loaded. Lots of potential problems pointed out in this thread. Maybe you could mount it on one side of the trailer instead and add ballast or a permanent tool box (full of heavy tools) to the other side for weight distribution?

If you're dedicated to the idea, just give it a try and work it out. There is a first time for everything, and then the next guy will have some info to google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom