Land cruiser saved my brothers life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...just the other day even prince William had a land cruiser motorcade of approximately 10 Landcruiser while visiting another country as the top choice for safety and security for royal assets .

I had to find a pic of that!
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 4.07.29 PM.png

I don't think this is related to your brother's situation, but it is related to driving risk. So please excuse my intrusion.

When very fatigued we may enter into a "microsleep", a short period of unconsciousness from which we will then awaken. In normal life it is seldom noticed, and is not a danger. When driving, it is dangerous. It is not possible to control - "man through" this need for rest, no matter what we think. Your body will go into a short period of unresponsiveness no matter what you do. For safety sake, the only cure is sleep. And then, you gain only about 2 minutes of alertness for every minute you sleep. So a 30 minute nap will not make us (and others) safe for another 4 hour leg of driving.
I have stories related to this, but they only restate the above. Useful info on wikipedia:

Gil

I don't think this is related to your brother's situation, but it is related to driving risk. So please excuse my intrusion.

When very fatigued we may enter into a "microsleep", a short period of unconsciousness from which we will then awaken. In normal life it is seldom noticed, and is not a danger. When driving, it is dangerous. It is not possible to control - "man through" this need for rest, no matter what we think. Your body will go into a short period of unresponsiveness no matter what you do. For safety sake, the only cure is sleep. And then, you gain only about 2 minutes of alertness for every minute you sleep. So a 30 minute nap will not make us (and others) safe for another 4 hour leg of driving.
I have stories related to this, but they only restate the above. Useful info on wikipedia:

Gil
Interesting numbers. Driving back from the hospital on Monday night, 7 hour drive. About 9PM I was just beat after a long day of driving, hospital, calls, etc. I pulled into a rest area and set my alarm for 2 hours. Woke up, walked for 5 minutes and drove the remaining 3 1/2 hours easy peasy. Those little naps are great. Microsleep is real. When you're tired, sleep for a bit, the risk is not worth it.

Hope everything turns out ok for your brother.

My family got into the cruiser world after a close family friend was in a terrible accident in her 80 series, that saved her life. My parents decided an LC was the right choice. 30 years later there are now 4 cruisers in the family.

Upon further inspection and the official accident report, it is very obvious that the ARB bumper on the front played a huge part in saving a life too. The crumple section it has built-in did it’s job perfectly. It absorbed a considerable amount of the impact. I’ve bought several bumpers from various vendors, but now I am questioning whether that was the right thing to do. One thing nice about ARB is they have the time and money to invest in research and development to build the right bumpers.

I think it's quite impressive that an aftermarket builder would go through the effort to make crumple zones! I know who I will recommend from now on.

I think it's quite impressive that an aftermarket builder would go through the effort to make crumple zones! I know who I will recommend from now on.
Yes. Impressive. You can see how it folded perfectly. It took a hell of a hit, guard rail, head on at 70. Then 19 of the posts that hold the guardrail in place. Engine still turns over fine. AC is cold. Go figure. Must be a land cruiser.

153EB673-F8E8-4130-9FF4-F7EC71995C49.jpeg

Almost 2 weeks later, brother finally got out of ICU and is into a regular room at the hospital. Battling pneumonia still but doing better each day. I showed him pictures of the accident, he couldn't believe that it happened and that he's alive. He doesn't recall much of anything, I guess that's normal. They think it was either microsleep or hypoxia from the pneumonia and fever.

He's on his way to recovery at this point. Today he asked if I had another cruiser he could drive. I said sure, but let's give it a break for a while.

My aunt once went into diabetic shock behind the wheel, hit the front of her garage, put it in reverse, backed across the street and took out two cars and a house, woke up, unhurt, and didn't remember any of it. Two weeks in the ICU is pretty serious stuff. Glad he's on the road to recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom