Labwork power brake booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Honestly for $70 what do you have to loose. I would be a tad skeptical though.

Cry once buy once, get one from vendor on here or partsouq or the other online parts companies.

OK, I'll be the test case for this one... $70 vs. $600 for OEM. I'm sure I'll regret it though.

Today's Partsouq prices:
4461060792 Toyota Brake Booster $450.47
4478535020 Firewall gasket $0.78
4727524010 MC gasket $0.97
4720160551 MC $275.45

Today's McGeorge Prices:
4461060792 Toyota Brake Booster $610.77
4478535020 Firewall gasket $1.66
4727524010 MC gasket $1.93
4720160551 MC $211.41

Both will have freight to bring them in. They are usually comparable on freight charges.

A while ago somebody posted that the bigger Lexus 430 (I think maybe) booster bolted up easily.

I'll see if I can find it as that might be an actual upgrade.

But dude, don't skimp on the stuff that slows you down.

I love my $40 dollar amazon special mirror 🤣 but mirrors don't make me stop....

Was the OEM booster from JKC?

I had to lift and tilt the engine to one side to get the booster past the manifold. I'll bleed the brakes and as soon as I replace the bleeder screw :| Anyone have tips on getting this out? gonna try the usual ways.

I'll probably upgrade to a better one but geting parts for Partsoque takes a while and I need it for SAS.

1689264706900.jpeg
1689264686181.jpeg

1689264898768.jpeg

"Was the OEM booster from JKC?"

Been discussed in the past:

The Seiken booster compared to the Toyoa part appears almost exactly identical (IME the rubber boot is a slightly different design) but both have the same letters stamped on them, same paint (high gloss black), same valve design/plating, same stud design, ---.

By itself some people say that does not mean they're both made by/for Toyota (I'm not taking sides either way, just interpreting previous discussions, read the thread linked above to draw your own conclusions):

FWIW, installed a Seiken in my 97 model a couple years ago, it works and looks right (if that's a factor for anyone with LC OCD ;)).

Toyota booster (original from 1997 FZJ80):

FZJ80 original brake booster front view JKC Bendix.png

New Seiken brake booster for FZJ80:

Seiken brake booster for FZJ80 front view.jpeg

@TexFJ : what markings/letters were stamped on the cheapo booster from Amazon? Country of Manufacture listed anywhere?

Last edited:
"Was the OEM booster from JKC?"

Been discussed in the past:

They appear almost exactly identical (IME the rubber boot is a slightly different design) but both have the same letters stamped on them, same paint (high gloss black), same valve design/plating, same stud design, ---.

By itself some people say that does not mean they're both made by/for Toyota (I'm not taking sides either way, just interpreting previous discussions, read the thread linked above to draw your own conclusions):

FWIW, installed a Seiken in my 97 model a couple years ago, it works and looks right (if that's a factor for anyone with LC OCD ;)).

Toyota booster (original from 1997 FZJ80):

View attachment 3372573

New Seiken brake booster for FZJ80:

View attachment 3372576

@TexFJ : what markings/letters were stamped on the cheapo booster from Amazon? Country of Manufacture listed anywhere?
No Markings at all....

Got everything bled. First impression is that the booster doesn't perform as well. The OEM booster was very sensitive while this one works but makes you want the soft touch braking of the OEM booster.

With that said, perhaps my previous system needed a better bleed job but it always scared me that I was getting to the bottom and still looking for braking power. The replacement system has me pushing and still finding braking power the more I push down at the end.

I'll probably replace it with the OEM version when I have more time.

Das it.

@TexFJ : Could be some air in the system; did you replace/open any lines or replace calipers and did the reservoir ever go dry??

How did you bleed the system?

Last edited:
I think that my air is gone, could have been the problem before hand. I bled the master cylinder since I disconnected the lines to get the booster replaced, then did the whole RP,RD,FP,FD,LPSG, PV.
The Brakes aren't soft, which is the sign of air in the system. The pedal isn't as sensitive, if that makes sense.

I picked one up to try. Looks identical to the original OEM one. Doesn't come with the gaskets.

I returned one because the M/C mount, relative to the firewall mount, was rotated a bit too much for me and was visually noticeable. The second was much better. The OEM has some rotation too, but only about 1° and I never noticed it.

1693913157452.png

I picked one up to try. Looks identical to the original OEM one. Doesn't come with the gaskets.

I returned one because the M/C mount, relative to the firewall mount, was rotated a bit too much for me and was visually noticeable. The second was much better. The OEM has some rotation too, but only about 1° and I never noticed it.

View attachment 3420379
Cool, hope it works. Update this thread in a year and let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom