KZJ77 - funny "buckling" noise in rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I picked up another KZJ77 down here Honduras. Will be bringing it up to Canada in February.
I noticed though a funny noise coming from the rear of the truck. I notice it only when going up any sort of incline, at a slow speed, and at the same time turning. It almost sounds like the rear wheels are "sticking". But I checked that the parking brake releases ok, and it does. It makes sort of a "buckling" sound and you can visually see the rear wheels sort of sticking.
Any ideas of what this could be? I will definitely take a look at the rear brakes in a couple days, to rule that out.
thanks for any help...
Beau
IMG_8201.jpg
IMG_8207.jpg

Does it have a Limited Slip Diff ?
Could be playing up....

We have a KZJ77 here right now that was from Honduras. The rear diff made noise as well. When we did the ARB locker install, we found the rear carrier had broken into two pieces. It still ran but the R&P was destroyed and needed to be replaced before we could install the ARB

and as Wayne wrote above, check the elocker too

limited slip? not sure
elocker - pretty sure it doesn't have one. There's no where in the cabin to engage or disengage one.
mud_guppie - That kzj77 wouldn't happen to belong to Dean, would it? (used to be mine)
If for some reason the carrier (and/or r&p) in mine is busted, is it critical to have it replace before a long trek?
Thanks again guys.
Beau

Tapage - 77's are VERY hard to come by. Then trying to find one that's in decent shape? Next to impossible. Certainly not like the selection of Cruisers coming out of Japan. Took me a while to find this one. It's only got 94,000 original kms. 1 owner.

limited slip?That kzj77 wouldn't happen to belong to Dean, would it? Thanks again guys.
Beau

Yep, that's the one
we just installed ARB lockers, 4" custom lift, new pass. seat, lots of little toys and repairs, on board air system, new tires and wheels, K&N, dual batteries, and some additional electrical

It's looking pretty good

sweet - any chance you could post a pic of the finished product? I drove that truck up earlier this year from Honduras.
Beau

Tapage - 77's are VERY hard to come by. Then trying to find one that's in decent shape? Next to impossible. Certainly not like the selection of Cruisers coming out of Japan. Took me a while to find this one. It's only got 94,000 original kms. 1 owner.

but it's LHD .. ? .. if I can ask how much you py for it . ?

So I believe I do have a limited slip diff. My axle code is G975. I understand that the "G" is 8" and the 5 means I have a limited slip, correct?
Question then: Could the limited slip be making the noise? Is this noise/buckling of rear inner wheel normal on slow tight radius corners? Or is there a problem?
Other question: What does the "97" on my axle code mean? Is that my gear ratio?

Thanks again,
Beau

if you do have the limited slip then maybe someone forgot the additive when they changed the rear diff oil ... if they did change it.
take a pic of the dash from the radio to the drivers side door making sure you have the entire dash top to bottom in the pic...
curious about something.

Wayne - is this stuff suitable for a limited slip? - Pennzoil 80w-90 GL-5.
It's the best stuff I can find around here. And I can't find the additive anywhere.
Worst case scenario, I can put this stuff in it. Then when I ship the truck over to Miami in a couple weeks, I can have better oil put in. What do you think?
I'll post a pic of the dash when I get a free moment to take the pic.
Beau

it is an additive, Toyota will have it for much $$$ or your local parts store should have it. any limited slip additive will work.

What about this stuff - Pennzoil 80w-90 GL-5? Will that work? It says it's "suitable" for limited slip diffs.
Beau

as long as it has the additive then you should be good...
someone else will need to answer that question.

PROBLEM SOLVED - I changed out the diff oil with Pennzoil 80w-90 GL-5. No more "buckling" noise. I wish I had looked right on the diff itself, there's a sticker "Use LSD oil only". That would have saved some time. Truck is running mint mint mint now!
Thanks everyone for your help! I love this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom