kw90surf's Grad Present to Himself, 1991 FJ80 H150F Touring Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it's finally happened after 4 years! I promised myself when I got into post-secondary that I'd buy myself an 80 series when I graduated my program. While I was in school I swear I spent half my study time studying course material and the other half researching Land Cruisers (ha). Was an effective external motivator to keep my eyes on through a very demanding program. I have now graduated into a job where I will be working as a ship's officer doing 28 days on, 28 days off. Perfect schedule for doing 4WD touring/overland type travel! And that is why I'm drawn to the 80 series platform (that and a bunch of other reasons)

I had toyed with the idea of buying/importing an HDJ81 (I own a RHD turbodiesel Hilux Surf), but after weighing out the difference in purchase price, cost of insurance and parts availability (an issue I've dealt with owning the Surf), a LHD gas-powered 80 made more sense. I watched the prices of FJ/FZJ80s increase quite a bit over those 4 years, so I decided to focus on finding a clean, rust-free, well maintained Cruiser rather than a low-mileage '95-97 with lockers etc. I'd also never laid a hand on one, much less driven one. I was open to any year, but I'm drawn to the early 1991-1992 80 series because of some of the aesthetic cues (tweed cloth interior, narrow flares, manual seats, "TOYOTA" grille, early dash, 15-in alloys, etc.). As a bonus, they don't seem to be commanding the premium that the later locked trucks do. So, I graduated this past June and arranged to fly down to Montana a week later and pick up this beauty from fellow mudder @Bigsky80 :

For those that didn't see the ad it's a 3-owner 1991 FJ80 with ~250k miles. Originally a from Texas came with a thick file folder of service records kept by all 3 owners dating back to dealer records from the 1990s. It came with OME 861/862 springs, Tokico shocks, a Cruisin' Offroad front winch bumper, spotties, a Prinsu roof rack, and awning and a couple of other mods from the previous owner. This was great, because I would have gone ahead and done some similar mods myself anyway. Most importantly, it has the brown cloth interior.

Scot and his family were great to us (my father came along for the trip), cooked us some steaks and we enjoyed a few tasty beverages before packing it in for the night. We loaded up the 80 with all of the spare parts, including a FF rear axle, and hit the road in the morning for the 3,800 mile drive home to Nova Scotia.

First impressions driving the truck: This thing is a tank. I wondered how it would compare to my Surf and it's just so much more truck. Body panels are thicker, feels more robust and is a lot more comfy. It's also surprisingly quiet on the road. With the OME/Tokico combo it handles and rides well, and has a nice velvety lazy smoothness to it. Speaking of laziness, I was curious how slow the 3FE was going to be, and at altitude it was certainly very slow. The first time I climbed an on-ramp I mistook my foot being on the floor for it having a stiff pedal. But, at sea level it's no slower than my Surf, and comparable to the non-turbo Volvo 740 I used to own.

Flame suit on

Speaking of gas, I kept track of MPG for the trip, for an average of 16.3 mpg overall and a best tank being 18.5 mpg. I figured it must be a fluke, but I got 18 mpg on two other occasions and 17.5 mpg on another tank. Ethanol free gas seems to boost it a bit, but I could count on 16-17 mpg on 10% ethanol with my driving style. Curious to see what a timing bump and a bit of exhaust work might do.

Here is the truck in it's new home, and with its new Lightforce 240 Blitz lights and Duratracs I robbed from the Surf:

So, eventual plans for the truck are to kit it out with touring/overlanding goodies (drawers, winch, RTT, tire/jerry carrier, fridge, dual batts etc.). That will all be documented in this thread. For now, just doing a bit of baselining, rust-proofing, and really enjoying the truck! Can't wait to get it out on some trails.

Thanks to the ih8mud community for providing all of the reading material that steered me to these trucks!

Cheers

IMG_2883.JPG

Last edited:
Also - I don't know how to go about putting the "Builds" prefix in the title, but if someone could let me know how to do that I'd appreciate it!

Your truck looks great, whatever year it is you can’t beat an 80

I would like the manual seats, my seats are on there second set of gears

Looks like you have a great 80, enjoy it

Your truck looks great, whatever year it is you can’t beat an 80

I would like the manual seats, my seats are on there second set of gears

Looks like you have a great 80, enjoy it

Cheers! Looking forward to digging into it and freshening it up over this coming winter

Congrats!!! Nice truck. Like your work schedule. Envious. Keep some mouse traps around in your truck storage area. Varmin have a way of making a nice home when your truck sitting idle while on duty. Trickle chargers are a life saver as well.

Welcome fellow bluenoser!

My son and I did a similar trip in April but from Stockton CA. Took us 7 days as we did the southern route, I did not want to chance snow storms taking the northern route that time of year. I purchased a 93 with the cloth interior. I can tell you where to get OEM parts in Canada at a great discount.

I assume you did the Marine program in Port Hawksbury at NSCC? We may have meet if you are are part of the vintage motorcycle club?

Cheers,
Daryl

My son and I did a similar trip in April but from Stockton CA. Took us 7 days as we did the southern route, I did not want to chance snow storms taking the northern route that time of year. I purchased a 93 with the cloth interior. I can tell you where to get OEM parts in Canada at a great discount.

I assume you did the Marine program in Port Hawksbury at NSCC? We may have meet if you are are part of the vintage motorcycle club?

Cheers,
Daryl
Do share where cheap parts can be had. Always good to have a few places knowing some the vendors here in Mud have hung up their boots.

Congrats!!! Nice truck. Like your work schedule. Envious. Keep some mouse traps around in your truck storage area. Varmin have a way of making a nice home when your truck sitting idle while on duty. Trickle chargers are a life saver as well.

I’m looking forward to my first month off! Gotta get my Hilux Surf ready to be sold. Roger that on the vermin, luckily for me the 80 gets to hang out in a climate controlled garage this month while I’m away.

Did you drive the 80 the 3,800 mile drive home to Nova Scotia from Montana? How long was the trip?

Yup! Flew out and drove it back. The drive took about 8 days, averaging 10 hours or so per day at 60mph. Some days were a little slower (Yellowstone nat’l park, getting distracted at junkyards, etc.). Did a 17 hour day the last day at 70mph-ish to get home. Great road trip vehicle!

Cheers,
Daryl

Cheers! Great trip I’m sure. Unfortunately for us, our climate ROTS everything. Luckily our friends to the south have a climate in many areas where things made of metal don’t deteriorate in short order. I’ve got to prep and paint/rust-proof the underside of the 80 this coming off-cycle. Thanks for the link, I’ll give it a look.

I actually just finished up at the Coast Guard College in Sydney. Challenging program but the reward is a guaranteed job upon completion. Very interesting work too. I’m not part of the motorcycle club. I did have a Kawi 440 in high school, I’ll pick up another vintage bike probably in the next year or two.

The first job I did was spend 2 days on the axles. Cleaned, preped and painted with 2 coats of semi gloss Tremclad. Frame is next in the same process.

I am not going to drive my 80 in the winter! I have a 2010 4Runner for that. I have lots of work planned for this winter while she sits in my heated garage. Once that is done, off to Krown for a good soaking!

Are you based in Halifax at the CG?

The first job I did was spend 2 days on the axles. Cleaned, preped and painted with 2 coats of semi gloss Tremclad. Frame is next in the same process.

I am not going to drive my 80 in the winter! I have a 2010 4Runner for that. I have lots of work planned for this winter while she sits in my heated garage. Once that is done, off to Krown for a good soaking!

Are you based in Halifax at the CG?

Good call. I’m thinking about doing rust bullet or some equivalent with mine. POR-15 sounds like a bit too tedious with the prep work and I don’t want to screw it up and have it flake off. My 80 won’t be winter driven either, I have a 1997 Cherokee for that (also basically rust-free, brought back from BC last summer). I’ll be following the painting of the frame and axles up with a Rust Check treatment and then I’ll likely follow that up with some fluid film. That, coupled with storage each winter should ensure a long, cancer-free life for the 80. Once you start winter driving something in NS, its only a matter of time.

I’m based in the Atlantic region, so anywhere in the maritimes or Newfoundland is fair game.

Never used rust bullet but I have used POR.

POR is an amazing product, however, it is very labour intensive to get correct. Unless you are going to take the axles out I would not bother with POR. I had a friend use rust bullet and he had very good results.

That being said, if you are not going to use it in the winter I feel a really good degreasing and the use of Tremclad to be adequate, my personal opinion. It is easy to touch up, easy to purchase anywhere, and does not dry out in the can in a year if you don't use all of it. No matter what you put on the axles, if you are going to drive it off-road, nothing holds up to rocks!

And you are right, even if we don't drive them in the winter, they still need a spray to stop the rust. Folks that live in the rust free areas are sooooo lucky!

If you are in the HRM this week or next week sometime and want to meet just PM me, would be nice to meet a fellow cruiser head! I head to NL end of next week.

Cheers,
Daryl

It's been a busy month! Mostly getting my Surf ready to sell. I wanted to have it be turn-key for the next owner, and it needed some things after sitting for about a year. So, did some mechanical and cosmetic work, got everything dialed in, detailed it inside and out and got it aligned and safety inspected, and sold it within 48 hours. My aunt who is visiting from ontario ended up buying it.

Also got a couple of things done to the 80 and spent some more time daily driving it. Really enjoying running around in it. I've been averaging right in around 11-14 mpg overall city/hwy, but a lot of that highway driving has been with two kayaks on the roof, towing my ATV or both.

I had noticed that the truck was shifting very early (never got above 1800rpm in normal acceleration) and was very slow to downshift which made it feel sluggish. I was also having to pull the shifter down into "3" on the highway pretty often to keep it from losing speed on the hills. Adjusted the kickdown cable (it was very loose) in a parking lot, huge difference in driveability. It dowshifts and upshifts at the appropriate time now, and I can now control the shifts with my foot just like my old Volvo (a thing I like about the older hydraulic-style transmissions). The little "flare" I was having at low throttle on the 2-3 shift is now gone too.

if you are not going to use it in the winter I feel a really good degreasing and the use of Tremclad to be adequate, my personal opinion. It is easy to touch up, easy to purchase anywhere, and does not dry out in the can in a year if you don't use all of it. No matter what you put on the axles, if you are going to drive it off-road, nothing holds up to rocks!

I actually ended up just taking it in to Rust-Check. I rolled around underneath the truck for a few minutes on a creeper and really looked over everything and decided that the result I would be likely to get wouldn't be worth the extra work it would take. The truck had some old rubberized undercoating in some areas that would have been a pain to get off, and the paint that was there was in surprisingly good shape. So I just asked the guy at Rust-Check to give it a real thorough treatment. I figured a good self-healing coating over everything would do the trick. He got inside the frame rails, rockers, etc. etc..

Only other thing I did was put on a new set of 33x10.50R15 BFG AT KO2s! With the OME 861/862 I reckon it looks sweet. I may end up adding a set of 30mm coil spacers all-around. Not much of a power loss with the 33's. A bit more noticeable on hills on the highway.

I experienced the infamous EFI relay issue a few days ago. Swapped out for a fresh relay that was in the glovebox (thanks @Bigsky80) and it started up. Looks like its been getting so hot in there that one of the pins on the harness has partially melted.

Off to work for another month, so that's it for now. I'll pick back up in October. Going to try to get the bedliner removed, LightForces wired up and a few other things done before I take it off the road for the winter.

If you are in the HRM this week or next week sometime and want to meet just PM me, would be nice to meet a fellow cruiser head! I head to NL end of next week.

We'll have to meet up sometime this fall! I was talking to another Cruiser guy out in Elmsdale who has an 80. Would be fun to get out on a trail ride.

Last edited:
Yes, PM me when you are back on land. Unfortunately the trail will have to be an easy one as I am not sporting 33's, yet, and she is still riding on factory springs. But, I do have a new set of OME springs that are part of the winter work plans. I have been away all summer, 10 days in BC on job and just back this week from summer home in NL after 31 days! It was a great summer for sure.

Cheers and talk later,
Daryl

Now for a couple of pictures :D

Putting in some work going up to a friend's cottage:

80 pulling King Quad kayaks.jpeg

New 33's:
33s driveway1.jpeg

33s driveway2.jpeg

A couple more pics from the trip back from Montana:

Montana:
IMG_2864.JPG

Wyoming:
IMG_2929.JPG

Iowa (I believe):
IMG_2962.JPG

Vermont:
IMG_2972.JPG

Well after 10 months I figured I should update this thread. After living with the 33's for a while, and towing my ATV around, I decided to do something with my gearing. 1800rpm at 60mph just isn't the sweet spot for the old 3FE

I went back and forth on some gearing options, from re-gearing the transfer case to a 1.1:1 high range (4.56 equivalent), to swapping out to 4.88s. 4.56 would have put me just a touch lower than 4.10 and 31 (stock combo), but with a roof tent and extra gear I figured I'd be wanting lower. 4.88 seemed then like a good option.

But then I got thinking about getting the gearing by swapping to a manual transmission. I like automatics, but I do prefer a manual when given the option. I read a few threads about H42 swaps, and considered an H55F as well. H42 was cheap, but then there's a decent amount of modification involved, no OD, and I'd lose the full time 4WD. H55F would gain the OD, but the same modifications would be required and it would be much more expensive. I wanted to keep the full time 4WD, do as few modifications as possible, and have overdrive. The best solution there of course is a factory set-up.

So with that being said I currently have an H150F transmission and related parts from a 3F 80 series on its way from Australia! Should be here in 3 weeks.

The FJ62 guys seem to rave about the the 3FE/H55F combo, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the 3FE/H150F combo performs.

Here are some crappy pics of it before it was palletized:
H150F1.png
H150F2.png

I'll document the swap somewhere on this forum for anyone else crazy enough to spend the money to manual swap a 3FE 80 :D

With travel restrictions in effect, a trip to Europe that I had planned now cancelled, and 12 weeks of vacation time on my hands I thought I'd invest in a roof tent setup. I had planned to eventually install one from the get-go but I figured now was the perfect time with the staycation in effect, and my folks recently purchased some land down on the south shore that is ripe for camping.

I started looking at tent options and found the Smittybilt to be a good value, but a local company called Wild Coast has been making them for a few years and they looked pretty nice. More expensive, but a lightly used setup with all the add-ons came up in a local classified and I scored it for a good price.

I ended up with the tent, an annex for the tent, 2 floors for the annex, an awning, a room for the awning, and 2 floors for the room.

IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom