1991 FJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey all,

I've had this 80 for about 5 years now, and have never done any serious modifications, mostly just work to keep it running and comfortable to drive in. It worked well as a camp rig/beach cruiser/surf rig. Never the greatest looking truck, but I loved it. Here it is before the incident-
11.jpg
10.jpg

About a month ago I had my 80 series stolen from me in San Diego. After a couple weeks went by, I chalked it up to a total loss and assumed it would be in Mexico and long gone. Fortunately, about a week ago it was recovered in Chula Vista. I guess a lady had been living in it, and completely trashed it. Spraypainted a bunch of trash on the side of it, destroyed my ignition, drew on the headliner and seatbelts, stole my tools, smashed out the windshield, messed with the braking system, etc etc.
7.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
I'm not exactly sure how far I want to go in this restoration/build yet. Right now, the priority is getting it running again. I had to get it towed because the ignition was screwed, and the tow driver had to chop up the ignition housing to brake the steering wheel lock in order to get it on the truck. I've got both parts in the mail, and should be replacing them as soon as they come in. Hope thats the only problem starting it.

While the parts were on order, I just went ahead and disasembled part of the dash so it will be easier to replace the ignition housing when it gets here. Also had Safelite replace the wind screen just to get it over with
1.jpg
9.jpg

I'm going to try and use graffiti remover to get the spraypaint off. I think it may take off some of the factory paint as well, but oh well. I didn't mind the faded paint job before, but will probably end up having to paint it depending on how much paint the chemicals strip

Ugg what a nightmare. What were the circumstances of the theft? Left out on the street?
I had it parked on the street in front of my apartment, fully locked up. Should've had a tracker in it.... When they found it she was in the middle of the street trying to get it started but couldn't. She was in jail for a few days but was released on friday

She was in jail for a few days but was released on friday
There are no words ... that haven't already been said about that state and the creatures that run it.
Really hope you get it back together so you can enjoy it again!

Damn. Are you able to press charges?

I have an AirTag in my car, but this makes me want to install hidden disabler switch somewhere. I've pulled relays when I left it parked at the airport in the past.

I have an AirTag in my car, but this makes me want to install hidden disabler switch somewhere. I've pulled relays when I left it parked at the airport in the past.
Unlikely, I don’t think they had much if they were living out of the car. Just wish I could get something for it

Same, you can also unplug the main lead on the distributor.
Someone like this that would have stopped them

Same, you can also unplug the main lead on the distributor.
Someone like this that would have stopped them
From what I can tell based on the W2 that was left in the car, the man was a mechanic. There were also thank you letters for helping get across the border, so I guess kind of a cool story that my rig might have been used as a coyote vehicle

Did you have insurance on it?

In some states, insurance requires the vehicle to be retitled with a salvage title after a theft, regardless of returned condition.

"The tow company had to brake the steering wheel lock to get it on the truck"
No, they didn't. That's a sign of a very bad tow company that has to further damage a vehicle to recover it with a flatbed.
The tow company should be financially responsible for breaking the steering lock and all parts associated with it.

How did the Methican Americans steal it and get it started? Did you have a remote key hidden someplace?

Did you have insurance on it?

In some states, insurance requires the vehicle to be retitled with a salvage title after a theft, regardless of returned condition.

"The tow company had to brake the steering wheel lock to get it on the truck"
No, they didn't. That's a sign of a very bad tow company that has to further damage a vehicle to recover it with a flatbed.
The tow company should be financially responsible for breaking the steering lock and all parts associated with it.

How did the Methican Americans steal it and get it started? Did you have a remote key hidden someplace?
I used a friends AAA to get it towed, so just really don't want to get into any of the claims process and give them any extra work for helping me out. Honestly, I was so relieved when they found the car in the middle of the street that I was okay with anything to get it home.

They used screwdrivers, bastard files, knifes, and anything else to turn the ignition until it was too mangled to be able to turn anymore

The car was in the shop for a couple weeks, it needed new rotors, calipers, bearings, axle seals, and new hard brake hoses had to be manufactured. All work I couldn’t do because my lack of a garage. Now that it’s fully driving, im working on the paint job…. I’m using a grafitti remover and pressure washer, but unfortunately it took off some of the real paint too…. I don’t want to spend on a full new paint job, but also don’t want to do monstaliner because it’s irreversible…. Exploring the cheapest options where it could look decent. Another new development is they somehow broke my AC as well, trying to get that fixed as soon as possible while we’re still in the middle of summer

71228240982__AAEF504C-5C9F-44C2-9DC9-F5B846E2611B.jpeg

Man that sucks.

You might do better using 1200 grit wet&dry sand paper and sanding the graffiti off, then fine sanding with 2000 grit wet&dry and buffing the paint

More elbow grease, but less chanxe of total destruction of the original paint

what’s the name of this part of the body?it’s the part that the end caps of the front bumper bolt into. Unfortunately the thieves rammed something with the bumper and it bent the crap out of one side of whatever this panel is called. Gotta replace this and the lower grill valance

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2132.jpeg

71470934348__A70F2B45-AF47-418A-B7C3-DB980CF02F53.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom