Koopa, the 2001 Taco. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I’ll start the thread on the new truck. I’ll show you the good and the “needs attention.”

2001 Tacoma TRD OR Extra Cab
5vz-fe 3.4 automatic

I’m the 3rd owner. Colorado Truck until 7 months ago. 2nd owner had it for 7 months and wanted a bigger truck.

177K on the clock.

Currently it’s on fresh-ish OME suspension and has sliders welded on. The coil-overs are “mediums” 881 I think but I’m not 100% and the rear pack has the AAL. More on that later. Lots of front end work.

I drove it from SC to Virginia on 12/27 and it drove solid, straight, had good road manners and gave me a good first impression (18.5 MPG). Nothing but very very slight vibration (probably tires and I’m being picky. It’s a great ride. ) and a little rattle at low speed throttle (again, more to come.)

E44D7F38-509B-4A2A-9443-F20D9267024B.jpeg

Last edited:
The Good!

Alignment and steering seem great. Replaced steering rack and lots of front end work. New UCAs and many other parts. Everything is supposedly OEM on the truck maintenance wise other than the UCAs (SPC) and OME components.

CVs are OEM. They look really good. Angles seem fine. No fins touching.

The interior is Excellent. Every nob clicks like new. The door panels and headliner are pristine, the seats are great. Only one crusty-ish stain on passenger seat I have to deal with.
4762A942-6911-4652-A501-EF9515BDFCBB.jpeg

95A86D95-2D2B-432B-8855-F10B66FA73CF.jpeg

54F54FF2-7D18-4BAA-B876-4FD23F09E233.jpeg

The body underneath is excellent in my opinion and I would say the frame is good.
518B10AA-958C-44E7-AEDC-5551E7975D4E.jpeg

5C559562-8DFA-442B-8698-4C1147A3D7B9.jpeg

94E35009-8693-4D3B-8374-ABB0F1BBB8AB.jpeg

It definitely needs to be put on a lift and have the rusty areas dealt with, followed by a wool wax bath, but it’s really pretty good.

Overall it just feels solid and pretty well maintained.

Last edited:
The Bad/ Needs Attention

The rattle, it’s the exhaust. The P.O. had the second CAT replaced to smog it. Unfortunately they welded it in instead of replacing it with a flanged CAT. Not a big deal, but the muffler and cat-back is in bad shape. No idea how I passed emissions. So, at a minimum a trip to the exhaust shop is in my future or I need to weld something up. Not sure which direction to go. Something SS from magnaflow or borla would be nice, but just a regular situation from the shop is really all I need.
51AB1E63-62E8-4CEF-827C-BC65D0C78520.jpeg

The rear window of the camper shell has a torn frame and damaged assembly.

“Trick Trucks” in chantilly is the only local parts carrier for ranch and its 458 installed for a new window frame or 317 for just the assembly and I can deal with installing it. But it needs attention.

89DDCCA4-708D-496E-95E2-F5BE48945DB5.jpeg

The P.O. siliconed the camper shell down and really coated it on all the way around. They camped a lot and wanted it very water tight. It’s not hurting anything, but I would think a proper rubber gasket should be the way. Never had a camper shell though.

BC772E93-7790-4F47-9DB2-3D5C1E4B192D.jpeg

The shell, other than the rear window is in great shape. It’s a tall one! But the liner is nice inside.

Last edited:
More …….

The e-brake cable runs over the leafs on a few years of the first gens. Because of the AAL on the OME pack the cable is taught over the leaf pack. It doesn’t effect the Ebrake operation at this point, but inter articulation I would be concerned. I will probably fab up some extenders to lift it up an inch or so. I’ve read some people just loosen it and run it underneath but supposedly it still makes contact and you still have articulation concerns.

84B16FEC-666E-4BBB-98FA-7B6E716D45F9.jpeg

It’s not real tight. I think I should raise it though.

The paint is good in a lot of places but in the suspected areas it needs attention and rust prevention. Here is some freckling on the front corner. Not a lot like this, but maybe 1 or 2 more areas.

A7CCB4F7-E592-4BFE-BFEB-72D563A7DC03.jpeg

8BC99CC5-AF50-4E6F-BA70-F089B7F099DF.jpeg

Other things to note…..

The tires were studded. They are a little louder and have very slight vibration compared to the same tires on my FJ and 4Runner. I’m willing to bet one is a bit out of balance. I might have them rebalanced at Warrenton Tire and Auto but it isn’t causing me any real grief. The wheels are not original. I’ve seen them before but I can’t place what Toyota they were on. I like them well enough.

I’m gonna change the oil next week so I’ll update with engine pictures and what not. I think I need an exhaust plan for phase 1. And fix that window.

I don’t love the rake. I am contemplating removing the AAL. The camper exaggerates the angle but still. I’m not loaded down super often. I do love the driving view though. Unsure.

Thanks everyone. More to come. I’ll also update the 4Runner thread with my timing chain work and whatever else I do.

I’m in Prince William.
Very nice. Grew up in Manassas near brentsville, still thankfully looks the same.
There is a house back in nokesville with an F60(62?) in the driveway thats just been sitting there, always wanted to go up and ask whats going on with it....

Last edited:
The wheels are not original. I’ve seen them before but I can’t place what Toyota they were on. I like them well enough.
Those appear to be black powder coated 5th Gen SR5 4Runner wheels. Not sure if they come on any other Yotas.

cc_2023TOS070093_01_1280_040.png

Those appear to be black powder coated 5th Gen SR5 4Runner wheels. Not sure if they come on any other Yotas.

cc_2023TOS070093_01_1280_040.png

Nice! Good catch. Today I’m wondering what to do about my exhaust. I cruised the tacomaworld forums and most recommendations are for the 2nd magnaflow cat and their OE style exhaust. The sensor parameters for the tacos are pretty touchy I guess and people report good luck with that setup as an affordable option. The first cat after the downpipe seems fine. But after that there are a series of bad patches on the system. It just needs replaced.

My 95.5 Taco had a slight vibration when I purchased it. I think it was 40-45mph on up. When @OTRAMM went over the truck for baselining, we replaced the tires AND the front wheel bearings. Vibration gone. IIRC, Ryan broke his press trying to push those bearings out. They're notoriously difficult. I think they get overlooked because of it.

Nice truck. Enjoy!

Well, I decided to temporarily fix the rear window best I could today.

BAB7D946-9BDB-4312-A7E8-3F87EE2C72B9.jpeg

It was pretty messed up so the best I could do on short notice was to torture the frame with clamps 1x4s and a hammer. After beating the hell out of it and using washers and new rivets it looked ok.

16C3B642-BF0B-4ECE-8430-A0D960E24FBC.jpeg

Popped the gasket back in and the glass, and it’s a big improvement. Not pretty but it’s somewhat even and way better. This will buy me some time on the proper replacement.

95697355-527D-4C91-B282-0FF4A81C6C61.jpeg

My 95.5 Taco had a slight vibration when I purchased it. I think it was 40-45mph on up. When @OTRAMM went over the truck for baselining, we replaced the tires AND the front wheel bearings. Vibration gone. IIRC, Ryan broke his press trying to push those bearings out. They're notoriously difficult. I think they get overlooked because of it.

Nice truck. Enjoy!
Yea, he pressed out the bearings on my 80 a long time ago. Lifesaver for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom