Knuckle Shim SST Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have one I can borrow? I tore into my axles and didn't pay attention to what shims were where when I tore it apart. Now I'm stuck trying to rebuild it and need one to move forward. I've heard there are members who will rent one out to other members.

Any help is appreciated.

Crazy I was just searching on this today, there's also a few threads that show you how you can make one yourself

You'll need 6" or 8" vernier calipers, too, if you use the tool.
If you are don't find another way to do it, send me a pm.

(I have one. I bought it and used it before I had knew anyone else with a LC, before I had internet, and before I found IH8MUD.)

Is there another way to do it that I'm missing somewhere? I have some 8" Vernier Calipers. I've done a search but I'm not finding any alternate methods.

Edit to add: I just went and read the FSM on knuckle rebuilding again. It's simple to me so I'd like to use the proper tool. I'll shoot GDA62/100 a PM.

Last edited:
I think what he is doing is clamping the trunion bearing caps on with shims that equal the total shim needed to get the preload right, but guessing at the thickness on top and bottom. Then he uses the dummy axle to measure the clearance in the spindle and adjusts the shim till the gap between the dummy axle and spindle is equal top and bottom.

OK reread it.
I think he is clamping feeler gauges between the caps, then making sure the dummy axle is free spinning. This is giving the shim values for top and bottom.

Simply halving the total shim thickness top and bottom will not necessarily result in the axle being centered. If you want your seals to last, you need to follow the FSM and use the correct tool. Because the seal failure is delayed, mechanics think they've done it OK. It kind of like setting up a differential; the howl doesn't show up for a couple of thousand miles later.

If you read on in that Pirate thread, some guy named Pin Head isn't exactly sold on that method either.
Were you able to borrow one Niferous? I would be willing to loan you mine. Like others have said it's a little tricky to use but it's kinda what you got to do at this point I think.

Long method would be start guessing on shims top and bottom, until correct preload it's archived then measure spindle clearance vs birf clearance and adjust accordingly ..

That would require for sure, several setups of the knuckle.

I've got one I can borrow and will just go that route. I'll update everyone on the progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom