Knuckle Bearing Question HELP!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this so here goes. My name is Will and I have a 1990 FJ62 build date 12/89 on the door post. My buddy is rebuilding my knuckles with a kit from Cool Cruisers of Texas. They sent the Koyo knuckle bearings and everything looks complete. However, the driver side has different bearings than the kit and also different from the passenger side. The factory knuckle is stamped 1.8 on top and the bearing is offset and has a sleeve inside the race. the race is also stamped 1.8. They are both top and bottom. The kit is for my vehicle and so far I have not seen any info about this problem. It appears that it sets a funny camber to the spindle? Any help would be great. Also what else to do? I have replaced rear brakes completely, front brakes completely, wheel bearings on front and brake hoses. The steering is all new except the box. I have no problems just trying to rebuild everything that leaks or needs repair. Very good shape, except probably needs valves adjusted and timing set. Also how important is the valve adjustment if not been done in years? I have a lose clunky shift when you let off the throttle. and it shift from park to D/R hard. Is this motor or trans mount. Trans has been rebuilt. what else should I do to it to drive daily. So far I love it and have only had about six months or so. best vehicle ever, except this funny steering knuckle issue and the bearings.thanks

WOW! that is the first time I have ever heard of that. There are guys here with lots more experience than me, but that sounds rather unusual.

Dynosoar :zilla:

Some folks screw up when they rebuild and they use a bearing with the wrong taper.

It is a new one on me, but if the inner hole is not concentric with the outer race, the bearing is probably designed to adjust caster or (more likely) camber, depending on which way it is offset. Since I am not aware that camber is adjustable on these axles, I would guess that an offset b earing may be used to compensate for a bent axle tube.

Post some pictures this is an odd one.

Dynosoar :zilla:

how many miles on the truck...?

got me? got some pics. I just did my knuckles from CCOT and both sides were the same.

Heard of it but never seen it. The NAPA suspension catelog lists offset caps and bearings for TLC. You will need a good parts guy to dig out the paper catelog and find this. I will root around tomorrow but I doubt I will be able to find it.

I bet the axle was bent in such a way the camber was screwed and an alignment shop installed the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom