Kiwi42 gets some holes patched (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lowenbrau

SILVER Star
Threads
Kiwi42 gets some holes patched <final shots>

Some of you have seen this poor old BJ42 that our Kiwi friends have been borrowing for the last year. Its been from near the Yukon border down to the Rio Grande while in their care and they wanted to patch it up a bit before they returned it as they are heading home in a week or so. I owed them a big favor for helping with the reasembly of Charla's BJ73 (final pics pending) so I agreed to spend the day on it.

Here's the result...
kiwi42 002s.jpg
kiwi42 007s.jpg
kiwi42 011s.jpg

Last edited:
That rear sill actually fell out once unbolted. This Cruiser was really cooperative.

Some 2X2 tubing (didn't have any 2x4 which would have been better) replaced the sill and some 16 guage satin coat should keep the rust demons at bay for a while.

Will give it a spash of blue tomorrow night.
kiwi42 026s.jpg
kiwi42 030s.jpg
kiwi42 041s.jpg

Nice neat job LB. Did you make the replacement panels?
And what is that red thing growing out of the door?:D

roscoFJ73 said:
And what is that red thing growing out of the door?:D
Oh, bad photography. That's what's left of a trouble light on a retractible cord that's hanging from the ceiling. I think it got ran over at one time (TippyR likely) and now it acts as a retractible extension cord only.

It was a long day with a head start on Sunday night and there were three motivated guys working on it. I've done enough of these 42s now that I'm starting to know what to expect. This poor old rig has over a half million KMs and has never been indoors except for the odd oil change. Its typical of a Alberta style rusted out truck. The sheet metal is fully perforated largely from the gravel spray exposing the bare metal but the frame, fasteners, and undercarriage are still quite solid. Southern BC rigs in the the hand tend to be in better shape from a sheet metal perspective with totally unsound frames due to the constant moisture.

Yeah, it's funny - it looks like "dry" rust. My BJ60 from Saskatoon had a bit of it, nothing like the damp rust of Ontario.

Nice shop! Are you guys in the business of fixing cruisers?

Its a rabid hobby shop run out of the back of Prairie Dog Parts (Cruiser parts import/export business) We never do "for profit" jobs. Occasionally we'll take on a project for someone but never make any cash at it.

Here's one of the most involved ones that Charla and I did for some family friends.

http://www.rmlca.ab.ca/charla/joe/index.html

I got sidetracked last night. The doors were just too crusty to leave alone so I patched the bottoms. I guess they call that 'scope creep' but it was worth it. We sprayed tonight and said 'bye bye' to the KIWI42.
kiwi42 089ss.jpg
Kiwi42 082ss.jpg

Nice mutt Bruce!

:D

Oh...good looking work too...

gb

Greg_B said:
Nice mutt Bruce!

:D

Oh...good looking work too...

gb

Ya I owe a good friend a lifetime of favors for helping me get that mutt. BTW your Toybox is here, I'll stick it on the bus this week.

a dog really is the best friend (next to your wife, untill she takes you to the cleaners)...
nice quicky there bruce. looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom