Builds Kids Rock Crawler - Project Peanut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was searching for landcruiser parts one day and ran across a kids rock crawler jeep that a guy out in CA build for his 4-5 year old son. Didn't pay it much attention at first, then I got to reading into it and thought this would be a really cool one of a kind project for my son. He is currently 8 months old, so by the time he is 4 or 5 this project will hopefully be completed. I have started gathering parts slowly over the past 6 months and have accumulated the following.

Samurai Transfer Case and Half shaft from original samurai transmission
SJ-410 axles from an old samurai I found off the side of an old gas well location - 48" WMS-WMS w/ 4.1 gears
Honda Rancher 350 ES motor. - Purchased entire ATV and stripped motor, electrical, rear driveshaft and any other parts I though I might use.

Parts still left to purchase to get started:
Frame - Plan to build it out of 2x3x3/16 rectangular tubing
OMIX-ADA mini jeep body - Willys Mini MB Body Kit, Steel, Universal
They can be found much cheaper than the listed price on the website.
Roll cage - 1-1/4" .180 wall
Tires & Wheels
Link and suspension parts - planning on 14" air shocks and 4 link f/r
Hydraulic steering parts - still planning on how to get the pressure (electric vs engine driven)
Seat
Misc small parts

What I've done so far:
Stripped the ATV of all needed parts and sold the frame and other stuff I didn't need.
I got the motor running and drive the ATV before I stripped the motor out and it smoked. So I'm in the process of rebuilding the top end - bore it out, new piston, rings, gaskets, etc. Reworked head with new valves etc.
The ES worked perfectly on the ATV, so hopefully after the top end the engine will be good to go.

Took down the SJ-410 axles and currently re-building them with new gaskets and seals. Not deiced if I will lock the axles just jet..... They are easy enough to take apart, so a future rear locker wouldn't be too difficult.

Pressure washed transfer case

I'll get up to speed on photos sometime this week.

Inspiration / end goal:

Kids Jeep.JPG

Presentation1.jpg

ATV purchased for $400 - sold leftover parts for $150

IMG_0094.PNG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

Purchased entire SJ-410 for $300
Pulled axles and sold body for scrap metal for $50
The Samurai didn't have a transfer case so I had to source that separately.
The 20+ year old tires actually held air! One of the rear lug studs spun loose and I had to split it with an angle grinder to get the tire/wheel off.

IMG_9367.JPG

IMG_9377.JPG

IMG_9378.JPG

Started rebuilding the front axle with new bearings, seals, knuckle seals, etc..... These little axles are almost fun to work on with all the tinker toy sized parts compared to an FJ60 axle. On a side note, didn't drain the gear oil first, the end I was working on fell off the jack stand... positive side is the gear oil looked new for sitting for 20+ years...
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG

Also was in the process of rebuilding the brake calipers when I put one of the bleeder ports through my left ring finger via a vice and hammer.... WARNING*** GRAPHIC CONTENT****

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

Very cool project! Looking forward to seeing it come along.
That finger though, wishing you a speedy recovery. Did you stitch that up yourself too?

Thanks, finger will probably put me in low gear for a few weeks. I went to the local ER to get it stitched up and an X-ray... The pain level was a bit more than I was comfortable with dealing with at home.. It broke the bone in the end of my finger as well as per the X-ray.

I got the front axle rebuilt with new bearings and seals. Rebuilt the brake calipers with new seals and installed new pads and new rotors. (Parts for these axles are cheap!!) All put back together and ready to have the original spring pads removed for link brackets. I removed the backing plates and had some spacers that fit perfectly to put the brake calipers back to factory measurements.

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Worked on the ATV engine a bit as well. When I was disassembling the engine, one of the small bolts that holds the cylinder on broke off leaving about 1/4" if the bolt sticking above the block. Thankfully it didn't break flush! I soaked the broken bolt every day for a week with Kano Aerokroil. I cleaned it really good with brake cleaner, then welded a 5/16 nut to the stub sticking up. This worked amazingly well and I was able to get the bolt end out without much trouble.

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

Finger is healing up good BTW. I made sure to wear rubber gloved to keep the grease and grime out... A little more careful on finger placement as well!

IMG_0393.JPG

I started on the rear axle by having the drums turned and ordered all new brake parts and rear axle seals. The bearings looked new and felt great. In the process of installing new wheel seals, pads, springs, and Wheel Cylinders.

IMG_0381.JPG

Worked on the ATV engine a bit as well. When I was disassembling the engine, one of the small bolts that holds the cylinder on broke off leaving about 1/4" if the bolt sticking above the block. Thankfully it didn't break flush! I soaked the broken bolt every day for a week with Kano Aerokroil. I cleaned it really good with brake cleaner, then welded a 5/16 nut to the stub sticking up. This worked amazingly well and I was able to get the bolt end out without much trouble.

View attachment 1626889

View attachment 1626890
Be real careful welding on metal that has been cleaned with brake cleaner, nasty fumes that will cause cancer. Better to use alcohol

It's the chlorinated brake cleaner that when heated will create phosgene gas (COCl2). Bad stuff. If you are using brake cleaner to clean before welding, make sure it is the non-chlorinated type.

Good info, thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom