Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by AggiePE, Jan 25, 2018.
That body is awesome!
I got the motor mounts tacked in and the transfer cas slid under and in the original place I had planned it to go. I’ve run into a few snags....
1. The carbuerator is about 1” from the firewall when installed on the motor....
2. If he transfer cas is to go in the center of the frame where I originally planned it, the driveshaft between the 2 with only be 10” long. This is an issue because the shorted it can be is 12-1/2” long.
More. And something I should have noted before this. The body is not square, and thus have proved to make things difficult when trying to line up body lines with frame and with engine to get it all square....
Since I got the motor in position I have started fabricating the transfer case mounts. I had some old spring hangers from ruff stuff laying around from a previous project that should work for these.
I got the drives side transfer case mount completed. I’ll attach it to the frame with tabs. The pssenger side mount was tacked into place as well. After the brackets were tacked I cut down the driveshaft to make it the correct length - 12-1/4” flange to flange.
So thoughts from the crowd requested. In a previous post I put that there was a clearance issue with the carburetor being very close to the firewall. I don’t really want to cut into the firewall or take up the space under the dash where the steering box will go. I did some digging and came up with a 1-1/4” copper elbow that is 1.5” OD on the upsets on each end. This is the same OD as the carb so the existing clamp will work on the engine side. Anyone see any concerns or issues with turning the carb 90 deg?
The only concern I have would center around support for the carb, and I'm sure you have a plan for that. Vibrations from vehicular travel would require some sort of support for the carb since it is not directly coupled to the carb, and at 90* to it's normal location.
Ooopps, meant to say "not directly coupled to the motor".
I second the support but I don't see any other issues.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ll have to come up with a clever way to use the bolts that are on the back of the jug that are no longer being used.
It’s been a while, but I got the transfer case mounts fully welded in and the motor mounts welded completely. Installed the driveshaft and tacked it together (photo was before I tacked it. Had a friend buy a new Kawasaki mule and he didn’t need after he lifted it and hanged the tires. I’ll re-paint the wheels but I got the tires mounted today. 28x10x15 moto mtc on the factory samurai wheels.