Keys, Keys and More Keys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone had any luck with reducing the number of keys on your rig? Driver, passenger, gas door, ignition, rear door..... At one point, there was an in depth thread on the Forum regarding this topic. Hoping someone has had some recent success. Currently my rig is a 78' FJ40.

You need to buy the kit from Toyota that has all new key cylinders and one key that works them all. I recently ordered 4 sets. You have to look hard but you can find them. They are not offered in the US anymore, you have to buy overseas.

You need to buy the kit from Toyota that has all new key cylinders and one key that works them all. I recently ordered 4 sets. You have to look hard but you can find them. They are not offered in the US anymore, you have to buy overseas.
Where did you order them from?

I found a place in France and bought him out. Google is your friend on this one.

Mine came with 3 keys, ign key cylinder, both front door key cylinders and gas tank door key cylinder

The kit is 2 door lock cylinders, 1 ignition lock cylinder and 1 gas door lock cylinder, as well as 2 new keys.
edit: sorry, we were typing at same time....

It is also possible to remove all the lock cylinders from the vehicle, and maybe toss in a couple extras scrounged from junk vehicles, and take them all to a friendly locksmith who will re-key them to accept a common key,

I just received my set I bought online from AliExpress. Consisted of 2 x door locks 1 x fuel cap and a ignition barrel. The quality is not up to Toyota’s standards but good enough for a show truck.

35E3E59A-7C93-4E6A-B068-4B7C1F40E5DF.jpeg

This what I should be looking for?

The kit is 2 door lock cylinders, 1 ignition lock cylinder and 1 gas door lock cylinder, as well as 2 new keys.
edit: sorry, we were typing at same time....

It is also possible to remove all the lock cylinders from the vehicle, and maybe toss in a couple extras scrounged from junk vehicles, and take them all to a friendly locksmith who will re-key them to accept a common key,
Jim I tried this at several locksmiths. They all told me they did not have the correct stainless cover to replace the original. They said it would get destroyed in the process. I took their word for it and just bought the new Toyota kit.

Hmmm, maybe the later door cylinders aren't serviceable? I know I've had the tiny, early lock cylinder, found in E-74 doors, all liftgate, all amby door and E-72 ignition locks disassembled, rebuilt & re-keyed.

Tech tip: Do NOT put the key in an early lock cylinder and spin it 360*. Something bad happens at the 180* position. They are only designed to turn from 90* left to center to 90* right. Had to take a fresh one back to locksmith and sheepishly explain what I did before the cylinder stopped turning...

Is this what you’re looking for.....

MAD.............................. :mad:

98E89324-C040-45E1-8D83-9EC4256EF0A9.jpeg

DSCN0003 - Copy.JPG

GLAD...........................:)

DSCN9898.JPG

DSCN9905.JPG

DSCN9913.JPG

My collection :)

fj40 keys 1.jpg

fj40 keys 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread