Key/ignition won't turn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago out of nowhere my key was momentarily stuck when trying to remove it from the ignition. Then I started having intermittent issues actually inserting the key into the ignition, and sometimes the ignition wouldn't rotate with the key in. The last week or so it always took many attempts to get it to rotate to start. This morning, after 10 minutes, I gave up and took an Uber to work.

Any thoughts? The key doesn't appear to be damaged/bent whatsoever, and I hit the ignition with compressed air to clean any debris already...

-With the key inserted try turning the wheel to the left as far as possible and holding it there. That might allow for you to turn the key. This has happened to my wife a few times (2005). If not, then do that and release it back to it's original position. I know that the steering wheel will be locked but it still moves a little.

-Try the key the other way (upside down)

-Are you using a key that you have not used lately (thinking wear on the key shaft not matching the ignition). I've had this with my valet key not manually unlocking the doors a few times.

Just some thoughts. I hope that one of these will help you.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the wheel turning method when I get home tonight.

I've been using the same key, and I've tried turning it upside down with no luck. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the wheel turning method when I get home tonight.

I've been using the same key, and I've tried turning it upside down with no luck. Thanks again.
You're welcome. I hope it works. Those are the only things I have needed to do with my ignition in the past 14+ years of this 100.

Please report back your findings. It may help others. 🍻

This might be your problem. Very common.

No luck moving the wheel to the left. I'm thinking at this point - before replacing the ignition lock cylinder - either 1) Get a new key made with the VIN from Toyota (read this in older threads regarding similar issues on here) or 2) bring the ignition lock cylinder to a locksmith to see if they can do anything.

@2001LC ... Thoughts? Hope all's well friend.

Try disabling the interlock cable under your ignition lock housing. If that works you might need to replace your interlock solenoid.

No luck moving the wheel to the left. I'm thinking at this point - before replacing the ignition lock cylinder - either 1) Get a new key made with the VIN from Toyota (read this in older threads regarding similar issues on here) or 2) bring the ignition lock cylinder to a locksmith to see if they can do anything.

@2001LC ... Thoughts? Hope all's well friend.
I'm sorry that didn't work for you. :(

Follow-up question. If the key works to physically lock/unlock the doors manually, does this imply my ignition problem probably is ignition related and not a malfunctioning/worn key? Just thought I'd ask before I go to the dealership and spend the $$ to have a new key made tomorrow...

Thanks for the help everyone.

-With the key inserted try turning the wheel to the left as far as possible and holding it there.

This happens to me sometimes, as I park on a curved hill of a driveway, so there's pressure against the wheel. I'll have to jerk the wheel back and forth (or up/down with left hand) while turning the key. Sometimes with a lot of force.

Try disabling the interlock cable under your ignition lock housing. If that works you might need to replace your interlock solenoid.

Have you tried this? it is very easy to unplug the shift interlock power. See if that we let you turn the key to ignition. Done this on my 4runner before and it work so I just left it unplug. But ofcourse it is illegal to have that disconnected.

@benjawi4 did you ever figure this out? My dad's 100 has the same issue.

EDIT - turning the steering wheel was the issue

Last edited:
Hey Ben, long time no see!. Sorry just saw your post.

1) First never force the key to move. It should always turn easily. Just lite movements will usually get worn out tumblers of cylinder or worn out key to work. A little WD40 sprayed in IG or other lite lube is a good idea also.

2) Steering wheel locks, when key removed. It's necessary to take tension of the lock by moving steering wheel left or right. Sometimes there is no tension. It all depends on how it came to rest. Not taking tension off by turning steering wheel can break the shaft connecting cylinder to lock in back of switch or can break the keys plastic case (so common). Those using YotaMD's key case will for sure break the shaft if they don't take off steering wheel tension.

3) Also if you look at IG switch. You'll see the word "PUSH". Key needs to be pushed in when locking. It so second nature to me I don't recall if needs pushing in to unlock also. So try that too.

If cylinder worn out:
Sometime the cylinder just wears out. The Lexus LX470 cylinder with key is $700. The Toyota Land Cruiser is like $90. WOW right. Most common reason cylinder wears out is extra weight on key ring. Like knife, bottle opens, extra household keys, etc. If you go this rout to replace cylinder. You'll want to take new cylinder along with your old key to a locksmith. Have tumblers set to your key by locksmith. That way, one key set works for IG and all doors. Last thing you want is to have two keys set, one for door and one for IG.

If you need help replace cylinder just let me know. It easy as long as you have your key.

Anyone replaced an ignition cylinder recently and it fixed this issue? Bought a 2006 Lx 470 about 3 months ago. A few bouts of wiggling the wheel to get key to turn. Usually when the wheel isn’t dead center when parked. Not a big deal when i had to do it previously.

Earlier this week i parked straight but i guess my right front tire was brushing the curb. When i went to start it, wouldn’t. Wheel wiggle resulted in wheel locking. I was stuck and had to get someone to help me push it in neutral while wiggling wheel to unlock and then put in park and try to start it. Very stressful on a busy road. In work clothes.

Seems like my problem is getting more common and I’m tired of it. I know I’ve got a slight weep at the right of the steering column. I don’t know if that’s causing any of the issues, or making a weak ignition cyclinder worse. Plan is to eventually replace the steering column, but i just shelled out for the timing belt job so I’m trying to recoup funds. Can swing an ignition cylinder replacement if i need to in the short term but don’t want to waste that money if it isn’t going to fix the problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Have you given your cylinder a shot of WD40 or a cleaner/lubricant called Houdini? I was told never to use WD-40 because it gets sticky over time but yesterday I was told by a locksmith I met up with that while Houdini I used is an excellent cleaner it is not a great lubricant, so he also gives newly cleaned tumblers a shot of WD-40.

I had first tried to clean/lube my cylinder with it still in the car- but it kept hanging up intermittently-not turning. I pulled out the cylinder and hosed it down with Houdini and cleaned most of the old graphite lube out of it. When I reinstalled it the ignition would only hang up very very rarely but that still scared me when thinking about being stuck somewhere. So I was on the path to buying a new cylinder and rekeying it with a new tumbler kit.

Before I got too far down that road, I actually was able to find a locksmith who had just moved up into the mountains near me and I met up with him. He told me that the Toyota sidewinder key (side cut -not edge cut) keys (2003-up?) rarely wear but the first tumbler in the cylinder can hang up. The first two tumblers are not critical for the key to work so removing the first or both is no issue. He said that he has done this with Toyota cylinders from time to time and it fixed the issue.

He felt that my tumblers felt good after the cleaning and a shot of WD-40 for lubrication. If it still hangs up from time to time, rather than buy a new cylinder and rekeying it- I am going to drill out the three face plate pins (I practiced on an old '99 LC cylinder) and just remove the first tumbler.

So far after cleaning and lubing it with the cylinder out of the car, it has not hung up after at least 100 turns.

Thanks. Haven’t tried to clean out since i thought it was pressure related issue. Will give some graphite a shot. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom