Builds Katit's LX470 2001 restoration/maintenance thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, it is done and it worked! The only "problem" - it's a 2003+ wheel I got to practice with. Now I'm going to install it on my truck (even if without airbag) temporarily. But it will be for sale after I get mine done. BTW, wood is in excellent condition on it, no cracks. Only slight discoloration on top. Spent about 10hr on it, next one will be quicker, but this wheel is probably hardest of all because it's "in sections".

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Never been so happy to see "check engine" light. Started to get misfire in cold mornings. I knew it's got to be coil as I took care of most other possible stuff. But no CEL. 3 days of driving - nothing. Today I finally got CEL and I guess truck turns of traction with check engine??

Luckily it was cylinder 8, easy to get to. And I had spare in a glove box.

No I am not sure if I should get another used spare from eBay or get all 8. Pricey for good stuff!

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Update on steering wheels. I currently drive without airbag, 2003 wheel in my truck feels good (it's smaller) but doesn't work :)
I have older LC wheel in works (all leather). Here is some pics of a process. Not easy, will be 6+hr project. Easy to mess up. Pics show how much leather you need and steps. You also need leather from shoulder part, not just any piece. Also, need to be cut certain way to stretch properly. Factory wheel when you start to look at it not that perfect. Uneven stitching, misaligned cover, etc.

Update on re-upholstery. I didn't find anything budget to match original cream color. But I got good deal on brown leather (like on steering wheel). So, I am going to use that for seats. Afterall, it's not collectable piece nor it's expensive new car. Brown will be more special and practical for my use. Will start project shortly, never done this kind of project before..

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

Never been so happy to see "check engine" light. Started to get misfire in cold mornings. I knew it's got to be coil as I took care of most other possible stuff. But no CEL. 3 days of driving - nothing. Today I finally got CEL and I guess truck turns of traction with check engine??

Luckily it was cylinder 8, easy to get to. And I had spare in a glove box.

No I am not sure if I should get another used spare from eBay or get all 8.

what is the symptoms of a cylinder misfire ?

what is the symptoms of a cylinder misfire ?
In my case it wasn't much when idling, but it did it couple times. When idles it would surge, you can feel vibration.
On slight (less than 2k rmp) acceleration you will literally feel truck "jerking". It's a feeling you cannot ignore.
But don't worry, when it get's worse you will get CEL and then code will tell exactly which cylinder..

I bet this is Christmas came early for this truck. Got all fluids. Just by number of quarts required I think this accumulates to 1 lost MPG (by weight) :) Decided to go KISS with fluids, following @2001LC advice. All Mobil1 with exception of AHC fluid, Coolant, and brake fluid.

Right now I'm replacing engine oil (with flush), diffs/transfer case fluid, soaking all bleeders for AHC/Brakes so I can proceed with those later on. Also replacing all air filters.

Getting all M1 fluids was a Quest. Autozone carries 3-4 bottles of 75-90, had to stop at 2 stores. Had to stop at Walmart for engine oil(Autozone $$), bought all ATF they had in one Autozone. Dealer had to special order Ts and AHC fluid.

Also got factory manuals and Techstream cable.

View attachment 2085666

View attachment 2085667
Where did you get the manuals? I've been wanting to get some for my 02 LX

One more wheel done. In total I did 3 of them now, this one in a truck currently, getting better at it. This wheel looks best of all and it's done "factory style" from 4 pieces. I think I understand why they do it in 4 pieces. Much better material savings. The only thing I did differently - I made cuts to hide seams so they don't stick out like in factory.

Still waiting for heating element to do heated steering wheel. 2 first steering wheels went very quick on eBay. Not like I am making money but I stuck in a loop of "getting better". Probably one more in wood and one more with heater will be it for my learning process :)

IMG_1580 (1).jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

One more wheel done. In total I did 3 of them now, this one in a truck currently, getting better at it. This wheel looks best of all and it's done "factory style" from 4 pieces. I think I understand why they do it in 4 pieces. Much better material savings. The only thing I did differently - I made cuts to hide seams so they don't stick out like in factory.

Still waiting for heating element to do heated steering wheel. 2 first steering wheels went very quick on eBay. Not like I am making money but I stuck in a loop of "getting better". Probably one more in wood and one more with heater will be it for my learning process :)
Would love to buy one from you sometime this year, have an '06 with light wood element.

Would love to buy one from you sometime this year, have an '06 with light wood element.

Will see what happens this year.. I will soon post results of my "experiment" of restoring wood on my original wheel. I also work on one heated steering wheel also as experiment.
Currently I sold last wheel I made and don't even have one in my truck :)

Bookmarking this thread in case I ever buy an LX470. Amazing work/attention to detail!

Wood restoration on my original steering wheel. As you all know clear get's cracked and then it just looks like crap. My truck spent most life in TX, no rust but sun did beat on it. Wheel had pretty bad cracks and in some places clear started to even crumble.
I never did something like this before (wood trim resto) and I figured it doesn't matter if I destroy this wheel, it's shot anyway. Shop quoted $500 for resto work on this wheel and I am not sure if they were talking leather or clear as well.

Some info online referred to heat applying to take old clear off. Some were saying that veneer is like paper thin so you can't really sand it. I tried to sand but I found that there is no way it will produce a good result. No way. Last resort - chemical stripper.

Those pics showing me applying stripper multiple times. Then cleaning. Then applying again, then cleaning. Some heat from heat gun helped some clear to "unstuck" quicker. Then, once clear was off I started to clean with mineral spirits and found that veneer was simply stained and it wasn't hard to clean it out. Pictures show all this..

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

More cleaning. Very light scuffing with scotch brite to clean. YES IT IS VERY THIN. Don't take sand paper to it. You can see black spots where clear was wear through and it damaged veneer layer.

Than I found stain in my basement. For some reason I have bunch, was buying to stain furniture, gun stocks, etc. So I just picked one I felt will look good and be close to what I have in a car. Applied with foam. It went on easy.

Process and results in pictures

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

w8.jpg

w9.jpg

w10.jpg

Applying clear. Welcome to the world of automotive 2k products. Never done it before. Only did small projects with spray gun, but not 100% comfortable with it yet. Getting better.

2K clear need to be mixed and applied. At first I did 3 layers and left wheel to dry. I will not bore you with details on clear application. There was plenty of questions and "issues", just trust me :)

So, first 3 layers applied. Then 2 days later sanding with 600 and 1000 to remove orange peel, any wood "hair" and applied another 3 layers.
AS YOU SEE - All cracks IN A WOOD. Not in a clear. To me - it's OK. Gives it character. But it is there.

w12.jpg

w13.jpg

w14.jpg

w15.jpg

After 6 layers more sanding. And final 3 layers. So, total of 9 layers. Looks beautiful for my taste. All cracks, black sand-through and age imperfections blend nicely with a wood grain and not a problem for me.

Automotive clear should withstand UV and should hold up.

Leather is next, but I already did it for other wheel so it's going to be the same.

w16.jpg

w17.jpg

w18.jpg

w19.jpg

After 6 layers more sanding. And final 3 layers. So, total of 9 layers. Looks beautiful for my taste. All cracks, black sand-through and age imperfections blend nicely with a wood grain and not a problem for me.

Automotive clear should withstand UV and should hold up.

Leather is next, but I already did it for other wheel so it's going to be the same.

View attachment 2258852

View attachment 2258853

View attachment 2258854

View attachment 2258855
Very nice job! Man that looks really good.

Very nice job! Man that looks really good.
Thanks! Yeah, I am pretty happy. I think I found a good "formula" for wood restoration. There was a post here when guy tried to do the same with epoxy but even pictures showed so-so result. I'm perfectionist in things like that so yeah.. Takes at least 3 days though to get those layers on. Lots of work to do it correctly.

Seriously awesome job @katit . Any idea what kind of wood was on that wheel? Your stain looks great. Doesn't look like it would've benefited much from pre-stain conditioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom