Builds Katit's LX470 2001 restoration/maintenance thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some more progress. Driver armrest, center console pad. Made almost all pieces needed for driver seat. All that being done while car is drivable (driver seat still in a car)
Driver side armrest was in a poor shape. Foam needed gluing and reinforcement (not pictured)

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

Today assembled 2 headrests. I did it without those stupid plastic channels. PITA to sew and look bad. YouTube rules, found how guys do it using euro-stitch, this is what result I got.

Another trick - use shop vac and garbage bag. Headrest becomes 1/2 size and very easy to install cover.

Started to work on driver seat. I knew bottom foam will be shot, got new piece ($270!!!!!) - most expensive piece of whole project.
However, I found heater element burnt as well :( that is a real bummer as it's going for like $450(???!!?)

I will attempt to fix it also it's not recommended. Have no choice I guess.

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

Finished front seats, started on rears. Rear seats much more complex, at least to me. More parts, heavy, hard to disassemble.

Already did small road trip (400 miles) and factory "wrinkles" on front seats starting to show. All in all not perfect but I am happy.
New foam on driver seat bottom, feels like a new seat now.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

Yesterday I noticed (after rain) that when I open back door I had puddle on lower hatch. And when I close it back I had some water coming from rear window moulding. Anybody have any Ideas? Also, see 3rd raw seat rusted. Is that just something PO spilled there or it's some common issue? I'm thinking about brake light leaking inside of the hatch.

Light was cracked. Took it off, cleaned off old foam seal material from both lamp and hatch.

Filled small scratch in paint with primer. PO scraped while loading somethin on top and I guess this is why light cracked as well. I didn't want to do seamless job. I just wanted to stop rust. I'ts not visible anyway.

Used superglue (maybe not the best), then sanded and polished light. Installed on silicone. Crack repair definitely visible if you are looking. But for now it's about functionality, not about perfection.

I don't have any major rust in hatch, only light bubbles around pull handle. Nothing around license plate light. Hopefully this will slow it down for now.

View attachment 2072982

View attachment 2072983

View attachment 2072984

View attachment 2072985

View attachment 2072986
Yeah hi.
I had leaks as well. I removed all my trim at the back to see where it was coning from. The typical places are: (1) third brake light (2) rear brake lights (3) missing rubber stoppers on the underside of your upper tailgate just beneath the third brake light, if those are missing you will see a lot of water coming in during a cat wash (4) roof rails screws. I installed a new brake 3rd brake light, resealed the rear brake lights and used polyurethane to seal up the roof rack screw holes. And i replaced the wool rug with new wool. Finally, she smells nice and ia staying dry. BTW, if your front windshield was ever replaced, chances are it was not done properly. You gotta prevent leaks at the front passenger area because there is a massively expensive wiring harness that will rust otherwise. Hope this helps you out.

Hi! New owner here and I’m more or less at page 1 of what you have been up to! Great work btw.

What kind of tool did you use to remove the third brake light nut?
1589748018820.jpeg

Progress update. Rear seat (bigger part) is done!!! This is by far most complex piece of all. 32 Parts just on a bottom to be exact. This is more parts than 1 front seat contains. Heavy, hard to disassemble(first time), etc. If you reupholster it - take detailed pics of each step, you will need it! Almost there... Not sure why sellers charge less for the 2nd row. No demand? Or cut corners? All those flaps, holes for isofix, seat belts, etc.

Items to note, from factory:
1. Wrinkles done by placing felt under those central parts (this is what them makes look even)
2. Center portions on rear have thicker padding. I used 1/2 foam
3. Outer bolsters on all seats (left on this one, left on drivers, right on passengers) have reinforcements (fabric glued to the leather)
4. Many specific plastic parts

I reused parts from old seat, not sure how aftermarket goes about this.

Smaller seat left to do. Getting really close..

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

Progress update. Rear seat (bigger part) is done!!! This is by far most complex piece of all. 32 Parts just on a bottom to be exact. This is more parts than 1 front seat contains. Heavy, hard to disassemble(first time), etc. If you reupholster it - take detailed pics of each step, you will need it! Almost there... Not sure why sellers charge less for the 2nd row. No demand? Or cut corners? All those flaps, holes for isofix, seat belts, etc.

Looks incredible 👍

Almost. Almost done. Smaller rear seat complete! I feel like I'm becoming "professional" in doing this stuff. Moving faster for sure. And making mistakes :)

Only thing remaining - back covers for front seats. Those will be from vinyl. I just hate wasting leather on it, will use leather for steering wheels.

Next up - interior cleanup and sound proofing!

IMG_2461.jpg

any tips or tricks on re-leathering the wheel? I do a lot of leatherwork with veg tan stuff, and was thinking of giving a rewrap a go.
I pretty much followed Cechaflo (search YouTube) video precisely. He have 3 and 4hr videos very detailed.

I’ve done about 6-7 wheels now, I just like the process for some reason, very relaxing.

I have 2 advices:
1. Take your time
2. If you don’t have to have leather- use vinyl. It stretches so much you can’t make mistake. With leather 1mm and you done. I haven’t done vinyl myself but watched guys do wheels that look perfect in 1-2 hours

I pretty much followed Cechaflo (search YouTube) video precisely. He have 3 and 4hr videos very detailed.

I’ve done about 6-7 wheels now, I just like the process for some reason, very relaxing.

I have 2 advices:
1. Take your time
2. If you don’t have to have leather- use vinyl. It stretches so much you can’t make mistake. With leather 1mm and you done. I haven’t done vinyl myself but watched guys do wheels that look perfect in 1-2 hours

Thanks sir, I shall have a look. Does that video get into the stitch type?

Do you have any req's on vinyl type/thickness? I have always assumed vinyl would like to tear out.

I am likely going to try with leather, because I like working with it so much (and I have a ton of the right color on hand), but I will definitely consider vinyl.

Small things that get me nervous. Fixed wobble in a rearview mirror. 3 issues at the same time..
Black base plate as loose (where it mounts to windshield) - added locktite to small screws
Black base plate mount bent (see pic). Didn't touch it yet, most likely it will break if touched. Will see and may just get new one if avail.
Clip that hooks to base plate was bent, simple fix. Looks like installer found some bolt in a trash and cut a slot for flat tip screwdriver. Fixed with stainless allen bolt.

No wobble now, but if it's going to return - new base plate will be needed.

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom