Kate (78 FJ40) meets 12HT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is Kate. This is a 78 FJ40 built up by the late Butch Lewis and currently belongs to PacToy. In the coming weeks this 40 will be getting a 12HT and 5 speed. Ill post more later in the week.
DSC01709.JPG

a 12HT in there is going to be wicked!
you will love the lower first for off road and the O/D is the cats ass for the highway.
torque, those are monster engines.
grumpy old Pactoy will be a happy boy after this!!

congrats, i look forward to following the thread.
cheers

grumpy old Pactoy will be a happy boy after this!!

You know it!

It is not too often that I allow another man to rearrange my lady's guts.

I can't wait to see this build thread progress.

Thanks Chris!

:beer:

Minor updates today. This cruiser showed up yesterday. I spent some time today removing a few parts and sizing up the engine bay. Not as much room under there as there is in an HJ61 so I will have to get a little creative.

Looks like Ill have to rearrange the dual battery setup and put the batteries end to end. The york that is on the 2F is going to be installed in place of the stock compressor on the 12HT with a new bracket. The 40 already has saginaw steering and it looks like the steering shaft is going to be close. Not sure where the air cleaner is going yet.
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG

not a biggie, the H came in the 45 series and fits nice in a 40.
want a hint? see if you can round up a set of factory H motor mounts. it makes the job much easier.
i would be tempted to move the batteries to the otherside on new mounts.

i can see a sweat rig in my minds eye. i am jealous of your build.

The engine itself should be straight forward - its all those darn gadgets stuffed in there with it...

I was planning to try to keep the batteries on that side because the 40 already has a snorkel on the drivers side. If I can work it out I will remove the air intake crossover and put an air box on the drivers side between the snorkel and the turbo.

Randy it's about time you decided to do something with that engine and tranny! I's going to be nice. Now you just need to put a diesel in your 80 then it will be cool. :D

Shane, I know what you are talking about. I just clarify for the rest of the readers:

The engine and tranny combo that Butch Lewis and Andy Watson set up in this rig is awesome. I had a hard time making sure this is swap is what I wanted to do ( it is my rig now).

Shane is referring to the 12H-T and H55 that he helped me out with in 2006. Shane is also one of the best cruiser engineers out there.

I think it is a good swap and great respect to Butch Lewis and Andy Watson.

I am so glad that I have lynchmob (Chris) working the swap for me. He has been a great person through and through in every aspect of this swap and upgrade.

I think it is a good swap and great respect to Butch Lewis and Andy Watson.

I am so glad that I have lynchmob (Chris) working the swap for me. He has been a great person through and through in every aspect of this swap and upgrade.

Great project-subscribing.

I did not know you ended up with Andy Watson's old truck. I've wheeled with him several times including Rubicon, Death Valley and a memorable broken pinion at the base of the first big waterfall on Poison Spider in Moab.

I would so like a 12HT in my FJ60.

A bit of progress. The engine is out now.
This 40 is well set up and the 2F ran great. 150-160 compression on all cylinders.
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

Now its on to cleaning up under hood and moving forward with test fitting the engine and trans. The engine will get a new rear main seal, then mated to the H55 with all new clutch parts and a new bellhousing.

A few pics of the 2F and 12HT. The trans that came out is an SM465.
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom