Just ordered my lift... Second thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I just pulled the trigger on the icon stage one from Metal tech. Now I'm wondering if I should have went with some 2.5s in the rear.

Initially I was planning on doing the 2.0 in the rear now, due to initial cost and upgrading those next year. Now I'm wondering if those are going to cut it. Thoughts? Anyone think the 2.0 will be ok for street use until I can upgrade in 10-12 months.

I was really wanting to do UCAs now and beefy tires and some takeoff trail wheels. That why I opted for 2.0 in the rear.

Definitely buy once -cry once. My late friend used to always say the good stuff cost extra because it's worth it! .... he was right when it comes to suspension.

Ok, so I just pulled the trigger on the icon stage one from Metal tech. Now I'm wondering if I should have went with some 2.5s in the rear.

Initially I was planning on doing the 2.0 in the rear now, due to initial cost and upgrading those next year. Now I'm wondering if those are going to cut it. Thoughts? Anyone think the 2.0 will be ok for street use until I can upgrade in 10-12 months.

I was really wanting to do UCAs now and beefy tires and some takeoff trail wheels. That why I opted for 2.0 in the rear.

A lot about the rear set up, is how much weight are you carrying, are you going to be over working the shocks for what you purchased? I personally think that the GX needs 2.5 shocks, but others have gone smaller and been very happy.

I reached out to a few that have 2.0 in the rear. For the time being I'm going to try and make it work. I'm going with 2.5 in the front, so hopefully that will be adequate, I'll get the 2.5 in the rear maybe even as soon as q2 next year and just keep them as spares when I have the rears rebuilt down the road. I plan on keeping it for the long haul, this helps me get some of the other components at the same time, UCA, and rear arms etc. I wish I didn't need it ASAP, but I'm excited to get it set up.

Thanks for the responses.

After you complete the suspension install, please post back with your experience. As others have said, it all depends on your gx470 weight and use off-road.

Also, keep in mind that the gx470 came originally from the factory with what I assume are 2.0 shocks. We are modifying or upgrading based on need to carry more stuff or off-road/rock-crawl.

I’ve been exploring off-road solo in my gx470 and took off the middle and third row seats. Carry a light load, so I’m not that heavy and go slow on back roads.

I’ll see how my low tech OME 2.0 60004 shocks feel. After I try the new shocks off-road, then I will do the spring conversion.

I will absolutely post back once I get it installed. I'll also do progress reports for anyone that might be looking to do the same setup. I'm tempering expectations, but I think for my current needs, it will be adequate. I never haul anything and rarely ever have more than a stroller or a rifle and cooler in the back. I don't do an expo trips with 2kids under 3 at the moment.

I will absolutely post back once I get it installed. I'll also do progress reports for anyone that might be looking to do the same setup. I'm tempering expectations, but I think for my current needs, it will be adequate. I never haul anything and rarely ever have more than a stroller or a rifle and cooler in the back. I don't do an expo trips with 2kids under 3 at the moment.
Hopefully the 2.0’s work ok for you. I’m in the same boat, I haul some camping stuff, cooler, and a dog around, but I went with 2.5’s. I didn’t even consider the 2.0’s.

May be the odd man out, but unless you are pushing the front or rear hard, extended whoops, high speed running or even long technical climbs the 2.0 will be fine. The difference in diameter only gains fluid capacity which helps with heat dissipation and shock fade. For 90% of folks, even those who do weekend trips or trail ride regularly the chances of pushing a quality 2.0 to that point is going to be very rare so a 2.0 is more than adequate. Imho, the 2.5 is a great shock, but for the average user is overkill. So stop worrying about it and just get out and enjoy your rig. My $0.02

Thanks for the responses, this is exactly what Metal Tech said. It made a bunch of sense. I also figured, eh... At the price point on the 2.0, if they don't work, I can upgrade and have a quality spare. I'm pumped, it is back logged so 4-6 weeks for delivery. I'll post back once it's all done. I'm going to roll with the SPC control arms, trying to figure out what tires to run at the moment. I'm thinking 275/75/17.

May be the odd man out, but unless you are pushing the front or rear hard, extended whoops, high speed running or even long technical climbs the 2.0 will be fine. The difference in diameter only gains fluid capacity which helps with heat dissipation and shock fade. For 90% of folks, even those who do weekend trips or trail ride regularly the chances of pushing a quality 2.0 to that point is going to be very rare so a 2.0 is more than adequate. Imho, the 2.5 is a great shock, but for the average user is overkill. So stop worrying about it and just get out and enjoy your rig. My $0.02

I hated my 2.0s. I love my 2.5s. I do push my truck a bit harder than most though.

Thanks for the feedback Dan, in what ways were they lacking?(for others viewing the thread down the road).

Also, how do you like the hydraulic bump stops? I noticed you have them in a different thread.

Just not enough dampening for my weight (I am WAY heavier than most GXes). The jounce is nice, but not very easy to get the front done (had to cut and reinforce the frame for the front). Rear I actually installed the captured spring bumps in the stock location on the frame.

If the valving is done well on a 2.0 it should work just fine for everything but high speed offroad stuff. Guys run them in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks without issues. It's all in the valving. Maybe we could use someone that would valve these shocks for GX specifically to account for the added weight, versus 4runners and fjs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom