Just got MetalTech spacers! (DIY) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
Saturday, I picked up my new MetalTech 2” front coil spacers! These things are beefy…
IMG_0094.jpg

100_0621.jpg

100_0623.jpg

I decided to do a DIY install so that everybody can see how easy it is to get rid of your stinkbug stance...

The Install:
Tools required- floor jack, jack stands, basic socket set.

The first thing I did was do a base measurement. From floor to fender was 39”.
100_0624.jpg

Then I got the truck on jack stands.
100_0626.jpg

And removed my tires.
100_0627.jpg

Note- I don’t have my swaybars anymore, but if you still do, I would recommend disconnecting them from the axle.

Next step was to remove the shock at the bottom mount.
100_0629.jpg

Note- At this point, the only thing that is holding up your axle is the friction in the bushings. Make sure that you don’t over-extend your break lines!!! I never had a problem with my 4” longer SS lines, but I did keep my floor jack under the pumpkin just in case.

Then you need to get the springs out. I am running OME “J” springs, so I have to step down on the rotor a bit to get enough room to pull the spring out.
IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Next you will remove the bump stop at the top spring mount. Just two nuts and it falls.
IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Now attach the bump stop to the spacer. I used the original hardware for that.
IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

Now reattach the bump stop and spacer to the bump stops original location. I used the included nuts and washers.
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

The springs go back in next. Because I have J springs, I needed a little help on this part. My camera man had to stand on the rotor while I set the spring. It was just a bit to tight for me to do myself. (Or I am a bit too skinny, which is probably the case.)
IMG_0145.jpg

Jack up the axle so you can reattach the shock. And, if you have them, sway bar.
IMG_0146.jpg

100_0630.jpg

Bolt back up the tires and you are done!
IMG_0160.jpg

Before everything settled, this is where she measured.
100_0632.jpg

After driving around the block it seemed to settle out perfect.
100_0634.jpg

And of course you gotta test it!
100_0637.jpg

100_0638.jpg

Overall, I am really impressed with the quality an fitment of the MetalTech spacers. These boys know how to do things right. It’s nice that we now have an option of getting a spacer that is taller than 1” (MetalTech sells 1.5” and 2”) and is metal, so it will last the lifetime of the truck. Great job guys!

LOL! That's the good side! These are a new product from MetalTech. The 1" spacer is all the choice that we used to have. Last week MetalTech came out with these and I jumped on them. As stated earlier, these things are extreamly well built and, IMO, the only option in regards to spacers.

Nice shoots

Looks good! I find them easier to install if you bolt the spacer to the cone, put the cone in the spring and install them together.

Thanks for taking the time. Nice write-up, good pics. Curious, how did you know to go to 2" spacers? Measurement of difference between front and back, on level ground?

Great write-up. Gives this :banana: man a little encouragement and hope.

Thanks!:)

Thanks for taking the time. Nice write-up, good pics. Curious, how did you know to go to 2" spacers? Measurement of difference between front and back, on level ground?

I didn't... I just used the bigger is better princapal! To be honest, I don't have any bumpers or any of my stuff loaded. Who knows how it will sit when it's done. But for now it looks awesome!

I don't have the time or resources to put one together myself, so I'm just gonna wait for a kit that can be welded on in a weekend.

I have 6" springs going in tomorrow. I couldn't stand Js anymore, even with spacers I am sitting way too low and it is VERY bad about swaying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom