Just changed out spark plugs, truck no longer starts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just changed out my spark plugs in my 100 yesterday with SK20R11's, after putting everything back together I took it out for a test drive and everything worked fine. then this morning I tried to run it and it would bounce up to 1000 rpm and die after 5 seconds. Any Ideas as to what is going on?

Sounds like you might have bumped either a vacuum line or an electrical plug. I know on the driver's side there are a few things that you have to undue to get at the plugs. I would check for any loose plugs or vacuum lines. Get someone to try and start it while you listen and look for a vacuum leak. That would be where I would start.

Have you inspected under the hood since? Maybe a coil isn't plugged in all the way.

When it runs for the 5 seconds does it sound smooth, just revving high and then dies?

Sounds like you might have bumped either a vacuum line or an electrical plug. I know on the driver's side there are a few things that you have to undue to get at the plugs. I would check for any loose plugs or vacuum lines. Get someone to try and start it while you listen and look for a vacuum leak. That would be where I would start.
yeah i thought the same thing but i couldn't see or hear anything out of place. I thought it was the plugs so i took everything out and one was pretty junked up even after only being in for about 12 hours so I cleaned and replaced it and it now revs longer but still cuts out.

Have you inspected under the hood since? Maybe a coil isn't plugged in all the way.

When it runs for the 5 seconds does it sound smooth, just revving high and then dies?
I've looked through almost everything around the plugs that I could've messed up but can't find anything. There is a chance I'm just blind but I haven't seen anything.

Did you drop any of the spark plugs and smash the gap?

I've looked through almost everything around the plugs that I could've messed up but can't find anything. There is a chance I'm just blind but I haven't seen anything.
Also curious why the one you pulled would be so nasty after only a little time. I mean they definitely turn black pretty quick but seems strange.

Also curious why the one you pulled would be so nasty after only a little time. I mean they definitely turn black pretty quick but seems strange.
no idea, out of the 8 i took out it was the only one that was absolutely filthy, the others had too much lubricant on them but not the same kind of junk on that one.

i did not, the plugs were pre-gapped and they went straight from the box to the car.

No I mean when you put them down into the hole, did any of them slip out of the rubber gasket in the socket and slip down to the bottom? You used that rubber gasketed socket, right? Asking because one slipped out on me, hit at the bottom of the hole, closed the gap, then LC ran like s***, and caused me problems for weeks before I figured out what happened.

No I mean when you put them down into the hole, did any of them slip out of the rubber gasket in the socket and slip down to the bottom? You used that rubber gasketed socket, right? Asking because one slipped out on me, hit at the bottom of the hole, closed the gap, then LC ran like s***, and caused me problems for weeks before I figured out what happened.
Little tip to avoid this is to get a piece of vacuum line that you can press the spark plug into. Really helps for those rear plugs in lining up and threading in gently without dropping the plug.

I did not, i just placed it in a metal socket and placed it down the hole so I guess that is plausible, I''ll go back and check them all to be sure but I never had any that got slammed into the bottom.

I did not, i just placed it in a metal socket and placed it down the hole so I guess that is plausible, I''ll go back and check them all to be sure but I never had any that got slammed into the bottom.

I learned it the hard way, def worth the hassle of pulling them all and re-checking the gap. Just one being closed will cause the engine to run like hell in my experience.

I learned it the hard way, def worth the hassle of pulling them all and re-checking the gap. Just one being closed will cause the engine to run like hell in my experience.
We verified it is not the gaps on the plugs, im thinking it is more of a vacuum line problem than a spark plug, Probably hit one when I was changing the plugs

Managed to get it rolling for a little while, it runs ok and isn't up and dying on me anymore but its idling at around 410 rpm, which is concerningly low to me. Any thoughts?

at this point, since you can't find any other issue, put the old plugs back in and see if the problem goes away. , The fact you said it ran fine the first day makes it hard to think it's anything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom