Crank no start- car shorts out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Regards,

07 LC, 222k miles, overall great shape.

A year ago at a gas station, ran into the issue first time- everything normal through key insertion, AC on, but when i turn to start everything shuts off. Unhooking the battery, rehooking solved the issue.

Came up again this week, i can get power restored with the battery hook/unhook, but car shorts out every time i try to start. Battery is good.

Any ideas?

check the relays, make sure they are all seated. maybe take out / reinsert. also may want to check / replace the main fusible link.
these are just educated guesses

You possibly have a corrosion issue on the battery terminals or wires or starter wire, starter terminals. The corrosiion causes high current draw when it tries to start and some resettable fuses kicks in. When you unplug and then reconnect it's reset. I would start by doing a visual inspection of the battery terminals and cable where they are connected to terminals. Do the same on the starter. Cut the insulation on the wire to see if corrosion has been drawn up into the cable (by capillary action) and if so, replace or simply cut the wires shorter.

You possibly have a corrosion issue on the battery terminals or wires or starter wire, starter terminals. The corrosiion causes high current draw when it tries to start and some resettable fuses kicks in. When you unplug and then reconnect it's reset. I would start by doing a visual inspection of the battery terminals and cable where they are connected to terminals. Do the same on the starter. Cut the insulation on the wire to see if corrosion has been drawn up into the cable (by capillary action) and if so, replace or simply cut the wires shorter.
Appreciate it, ill take a look tonight.

Smoltz nailed this one- some WD40, a wire brush and 15 minutes to clean off corrosion and she fired right up. Thanks, hope they are all this easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom