July trip on the Rubicon, any locals want to run the trail/guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All
Some friends and I are leaving on the 8th or 9th of July 2016 from Lexington, KY for the Rubicon. We are travelling on these dates as some in our party do not have flexible time off. We plan on starting the trail @ the 12th. We expect to have 3-4 trucks and 5-6 folks. If anyone is local and/or familiar with the area and can run the trail in the middle of the week, we'd love to have you along.
After the Rubicon we'll be working our way back East for a week. Any suggestions of things to see or do in the area would be appreciated. We're considering Yosemite, Death Valley (might be too hot?), a drive across southern Utah, Ouray and then some Colorado passes. After typing this, I realize we likely won't have time for all there is to do out there.
Thanks in advance!
Peter

I can help with questions, but don't have that week off to run it, but will be out there the following week. A mid week run is GREAT-for such a popular trail, there will be few people Mon-Thurs

I might suggest running Fordyce Creek immediately afterward, depending on the water level at the first crossing. Since you're already out here and Fordyce is an hour from the end of the Rubicon.

Death Valley=For sure too hot.

Utah will also be hot, but worth your time.

Make sure you drive home on US50 through Nevada. Almost worth the trip by itself.

A couple weeks earlier and you would have all the 'guides' you need during the Rubithon. :)

I agree that you should consider Fordyce while you're out here, but be prepared for a bit of carnage unless you have well prepared rigs. No lockers will make it a challenge and anything less than 33's is really not a good idea.

Wow, thanks for the input guys! We'll have a 40 on 35s, locked at each end, a locked Lexus 80 on 35s and my locked (well it will be by then hopefully) HZJ-73.
I hadn't considered Fordyce Creek or heard of HWY 50 through Nevada so this is great info! We'll try to work both in. Please keep the suggestions coming.
Peter

Don't know about an 80 on Fordyce. It would rack up a lot of body damage. If you can trailer it home, it might be OK.

Let me look at the schedule, and I might try and do Rubicon with you. I'm only 90 minutes from the start and have done it many times. Likely it won't work and 3 times in one year is a lot, but I'll look. How many days? I recommend at least 3 on Rubicon. 4 is better to have a rest/relax/repair day at Rubicon Springs.

There are other fun but easier trails in the Sierra-Slickrock comes to mind. Barrett Lake would be a possible too and not far from Rubicon.

Death Valley is a great choice of destinations, but July is when it earned it's name and reputation. Come back in Late October and I'll show you around.

Are you trailering these trucks out or are you driving them home?

I might just be able to join you guys!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Georg
Hey that would be great! Maybe you could get Ward on the trail in his fancy 73.
Andrew has volunteered to be our guide and has already given us a lot of great info.
Stay tuned.
Peter

Cruiser Drew,

Question on Hwy 50 in Ne. Are you sure about the 50 part. I looked it up and it's short drive going north and south? What am I not seeing? Seems to be a Hwy. 20 that is marked scenic. We would like to drive it going out West this fall.

EDIT: Never mind I read it wrong... Nevada not Nebraska. Sorry about that.

I wouldn't recommend taking on 80 on 35s through Fordyce, won't be fun. Unless you don't care about sheet metal. Was just there last weekend, lots of pics to give you an idea of what the trail looks like: Fordyce Wheeling - 2016

Slick Rock is always nice for a quick run. Signal Peak is an easy, but fun trail too. Barrett Lake is not open yet. Snake Lake is a few hours north, but incredible scenery. Oh yeah, don't forget about Hell Hole, same vicinity as the Rubicon.

Have a great time. Weather looks perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom