July trip on the Rubicon, any locals want to run the trail/guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So how did it go?

these Hello All
Returned from the Rubicon yesterday afternoon. It was harder than we thought it would be. The entire trail is an obstacle. There are no sections where you are just driving along. It was a fantastic time, we ate well and had great campsites.
One of the 40s in our group broke an axle (long side on the rear) on the granite bowl right past Loon Lake. We were there so long while fixing it, we had dinner there and then camped at the top.
The next day we made it to Buck Island and camped just over the dam at the little island. It was awesome to clean up in the lake but washing the sunscreen and grease off likely created a bio-hazard.
To Rubicon Springs the last night to camp along the creek past the helipads. We got to the site in mid-afternoon which was nice as we got a site with shade and were able to hang out in the creek while enjoying Kentucky's state beverage.
Cadillac Hill was a challenge! A previous owner's wiring job for the trailer lights on my rig started smoking. Thankfully, the fellow behind me told me about it before it was fully engulfed! The same fellow that broke the axle had his front driveshaft separate twice on the way up.
I was really impressed with my truck. It was delivered two weeks before we left so I didn't have much time to test it but it did well despite being on 33's. The lockers worked well, I tweaked the front bumper but never had to use the new winch.
Everyone we met on the trail was great, with the exception of a family from Texas who was having a rough time getting down trail.
Andrew, thank you so much for all your suggestions and advice about our trip. It all was all tremendously helpful! I didn't have an issue with my knuckle studs but my hub studs kept working loose. The other 40 driver thought I was crazy for checking my studs but barely made it back because his knuckle studs worked loose.
It was an awesome trip! Great wheeling, beautiful mountains and lakes and good friends. I does not get better!
We're now off to Great Basin NP to camp for a couple of nights then to Ouray for four nights.
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom