JT's 88 4 Runner Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like we are in the same boat with family obligations :)

I wouldn't do too much different to tell you the truth. The 4Runner works very well and was relatively cheap to build. I have more invested in the SAS and linking it now than what it cost to buy and build the rig originally.

There are certainly things I could have not done or done a little differently. Biggest being putting the roll cage in first. Luckily my daughter was not with me when we rolled it without a cage.

Surprisingly all of the stock parts have healed up great considering they have close to 300k on them and are over 25 years old. Only part that wore out was the idler arm. Bought a used one and it has been fine.

For trail riding with the kids and wanting to hit some harder trails with them, it has been great. Adding the doubler and rear locker were the keys to making it work.

If you want pictures of anything in particular or shoot some ideas around, let me know, happy to help.

Doin really well JT! We have our four kids who are 4, 6, 8, and 10. Between piano, soccer, basketball, et cet we are busy to say the least. Sounds like you are in the same routine.

I haven't gotten out wheelin as much either but I've shuffled rigs again. Presently I have my BJ45 trayback and a rust free 89' 4Runner which brings me to your thread

Would you do anything different?

Thanks JT. I'm gathering parts presently. Thinking I will order the cage kit ASAP. Thanks for your input... don't want to hijack your thread any further so I'll convo you on my build questions as I go. I'm enjoying reliving some old threads lately, this is a favorite.

Absolutely, happy to help. Adding tech to this thread is always a good thing, helps keep me going.

Quick update on this build, looks like I will be swapping a low mileage 5.29 geared elocker Tacoma into the back. A brand new set of Pitbull Radial Rockers in the 37" variety wrapped around a set of aluminum FJ Cruiser rims, will also be going on when they get delivered. Couldn't pass up the 1/2 off sale the other week.

Updates coming in the future hopefully.
IMG_1388.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG

"Final" piece for the rear 3 link came in today. Combination upper link mount and panhard bracket.
IMG_1537.JPG

New Cromoly 30 spline inner axle shaft with long splines to run my recently acquired FZJ80 9.5 Elocker differential in my front axle. Also picked up some longer diff studs from Rahal Toyota to install it. Will install and finalize the front axle when it isn’t so cold out.
2038D90C-7090-4EE3-8E69-32B68177E9F6.jpeg

Starting to find myself in the same boat - wanting to go from 31 IFS and end up at 35s with 3 link and came across your thread. Any updates on the build?

What wheel specs were you running with the 35s?

No major updates other than trying to figure out why I have no power to my fuel pump. Irritating to say the least. Other projects have gotten put out front including finishing up our 71 FJ40, rebuilding a John Deere 850, buying some land, and designing the new house and land development. Let alone work and kids in multiple sports :)

The wheels are 15x8 with 3” backspacing if I remember correctly. Pushes the tires out nicely. I did have to shave my calipers when I upgraded them to ones from a V6.

Happy to give you any measurements or brainstorm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom