JT Outfitters Super Knuckle rebuild kit -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rick,

As I mentioned earlier, they just don't look or feel the same to me, and that doesn't mean they won't work. I do not feel that they are of the same quality, that's all. Read into that what you like. I'm happy for you to long term test your axle stuff for us and report back. I hope that it holds up well for you. You are plainly smart enough to know what you are seeing and will be able to tell if you have issues with the stuff before you have major problems, if any at all.
 Woody has a great point, how the vehicle is used needs to play a role in your parts buying decisions.

Remember.."I prefer...."  It's all about opinions.

Dan

PS. finding the original vendor that the manufacturer uses is without doubt, a bonus. BY all means do that if you can.

C-dan, I'm just trying to separate opinion from fact that's all. I regularly check over my truck for signs of trouble. I just wanted to know if there has been issues specifically with these parts because I then would need to look more closely and more often.

Rick,
When you figure out how to reliably separate opinion form fact I would like you to teach me. I have trouble with that myself all the time. I do not know of any specific reason to be extra cautious in this case other than that elusive "gut feeling" about the origin of the parts used in the repair. If you examined them before the install and they suited you then that is what really matters. I'm sure that you are fine. As I told you I am currently "field testing" some off brand trunion bearings. It still drives fine after 12,000 miles as far as I can tell.
If you think about it, that's why there are Fords, Chebbys, Mopars, nissans, Toyotas, ETC. Everybody marches to a different drummer. Doubtless the vast majority of any difference is in the mind's eye.

&nbsp:Dan :beer:

Rick,

And I'm field testing some aftermarket front rotors that cruiserman referred me to. They seem to be working fine at 10k miles but I won't recommend them to most people, not yet anyway.

IIRC, Cruiserman used the seals from one of the aftermarket vendor kits. I don't remember the details but the seals failed prematurely and he had to do the repair after a very short time. (Eric, can you confirm or deny this?)

-B-

oh crap, B -- I didn't hear about the seals failing premat. -- I am gonna go OEM, though it seems like there's no real OEM parts list out there --

eric

Erics_Bruiser,
Different Eric. Cruiserman's name is also Eric.
-B-

C-Dan,
>> I would say it's even less time than that <<
You have no idea how sloooooow I am when working on my truck. It's like watching paint dry.

-B-

thanks for that, B -- wondered if you screwed us up, or wondered if you though i lived near (not with!) him --

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

e

OK ya'll, I'll chime in on this one. I've been driving landcruisers almost exclusively since I was 16 years old, and yes, there were times when I could not afford to buy the OEM parts, and went with what aftermarket stuff I could find.

In my experience, which includes 40 series, 60 series and now 80 series cruisers, OEM parts are of much better quality and fit than aftermarket..... and because of that experience, I now PREFER to use factory Toyota parts. &nbsp:Does this always happen, no. However, if I use non OEM parts, I, like C-Dan, have the constant reminder in the back of my skull that the part may fail and have to be fixed again. On some stuff I can live with that, on others, such as the axle rebuilds this thread talks about, I'd rather only do it once, or not at all until I can do it correctly.

My $0.02 FWIW.

-H- :beer:

There are several great posts above, including the Wood, B, Cdan and others.

Guys, you can't be wrong on an OPINION based argument.

Use whatever the heck you want to use. I'm sticking with OEM - I get a great price and I like the known quality. Wood's point on swapping this stuff if it's beat hard makes a lot of sense, but to be candid, there are probably only a handfull of 80's wheeled that hard in the US and mine certainly is not at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom